Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.9 Update

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    NealofThelake - Never ever update a OS before Digidesign has posted a compatibility note on their support pages. It´s not the first time a new Mac OS X version has problems with a current version of ProTools. This is not really Apples problem...
  • Reply 62 of 112
    Did this have a graphics driver update? Sure feels like it.
  • Reply 63 of 112
    elderlocelderloc Posts: 146member
    Anyone know what video drivers were added to the update? I just installed Leopard from ADC so I might roll back.
  • Reply 64 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Is it just me or are the MacBook Pro internal speakers LOUDER now?

i felt like that was the case too and thought maybe i was dreaming, but at least there's one other person out there who feels the same. about time they made it louder.
  • Reply 65 of 112
    deepkiddeepkid Posts: 97member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Yes, according to this very interesting tech-note http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304821 which is linked in the article.

I'm on 10.4.9 now, and after 2 restarts iCal alerts still appear to the right side of the screen. I didn't realize that it was a widespread problem until seeing it posted here.
  • Reply 66 of 112
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Update went sweet, now the my Nokia E61 Smartphone works with iSync which is a nice added bonus.

Application launch seems a little faster, especially Skype and Real Player.
  • Reply 67 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newman71 View Post

you're right, you do have to hold down the eject key. is that the way it's supposed to be? i find it kind of annoying since i'm used to tapping the key but i'm sure i'll get used to it.

thanks

After reading this I tried it on my laptop... I love EVERYTHING about this keyboard over every single other one that I have tried..... Except the eject button, well now it works great! no more bumping! And since I type so quickly, even if I hit it directly on it will not eject.
  • Reply 68 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fongyuen View Post

i felt like that was the case too and thought maybe i was dreaming, but at least there's one other person out there who feels the same. about time they made it louder.

Just hope that they didn't lose sound quality... Once I finish testing 10.4.9 and deploy it on the laptops I'll have to check into that...
  • Reply 69 of 112
    It's definitely no dream...I'd say the audio is at least twice as loud! Other users have also reported this improvement.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fongyuen View Post

• Reply 70 of 112
    No reason to believe they lost sound quality. My 17" MBP speakers handle the audio up to full volume for most things which is now quite loud. The 17" MBP speakers are the best laptop speakers I've heard...still doesn't compare to a low-end hi-fi but what do u expect...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

Just hope that they didn't lose sound quality... Once I finish testing 10.4.9 and deploy it on the laptops I'll have to check into that...

• Reply 71 of 112
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

AppleTV probably requires it.

probably not, but who knows...apple.com says:

Apple TV Requires:

Macintosh computer with Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later; or PC with Windows XP Home or Professional (SP2).

no vista support?
  • Reply 72 of 112
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

No reason to believe they lost sound quality. My 17" MBP speakers handle the audio up to full volume for most things which is now quite loud. The 17" MBP speakers are the best laptop speakers I've heard...still doesn't compare to a low-end hi-fi but what do u expect...

If the max level is increased, it can cause problems with peaking. Within reason, it's probably better that the user can chose this though, because some tracks are very quiet.

I think the 17" might have better speakers because of the room afforded in a slightly larger case. The speakers on my 15" are kind of irritating.
  • Reply 73 of 112
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Democaster. View Post

I definitely think there's something to this. We know that Apple has stuff intended for Leopard that devs aren't even getting a look at - so why wouldn't they leave a few bugs in to throw people off the scent? They know that NDAs aren't going to patch leaks, so it's better to just throw a red herring out there.

Seeing as one of the Apple Design Awards at WWDC is for best Leopard app, I'd be extremely surprised if Leopard isn't out at least a month prior to that. People are going to want to get familiar with it prior to the workshops and stuff. And isn't Steve's keynote on the last day of WWDC?

The more and more I think about Leopard at WWDC, the less sense it makes.

I think we'll see a ship date announced at NAB, and it'll be the same day as a totally Leopard exclusive Final Cut 6.

All great points.

But no, Steve's keynote is always the first day at WWDC.
  • Reply 74 of 112
    Goodness me, it's all terribly exciting.
  • Reply 75 of 112
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Does anyone remember the time it took for Apple to go from their last update to Panther (Mac OS 10.3) before Tiger (Mac OS 10.4) came out? If I remember correctly it was pretty quick...
  • Reply 76 of 112
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I just think that's what you're led to believe. I myself have a strong suspicion there's a super secret build inside Cuper and all developers are being had. A lot of the bugs that were in the build before the current one are still there, it just strikes me as a bit suspicious the huge amount of bugs Apple left unfixed.

Great. If that's what Apple wants to do, that's up to them. But if they do, its sheer stupidity. The whole point of developer releases is to make sure developer's software works with your OS. If Apple releases Leopard and there's great incompatibility with other apps, make sure you place your blame solely where it belongs, on Apple's shoulders.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Internal builds are always ahead of what developers get, sometimes over a month ahead. We're coming up on two years in development, there's a suspicious amount of bug for that much work IMO, and mistakes they made with Tiger will be reduced for Leopard.

Apple has notably left bugs open for a long periods of time. That's not new for them. Plus, if they're busy adding in all those super-secret features and stuff, they probably aren't working on bug fixes at this point.

All I can say is that the earlier it comes, the more likely its going to have problems, both within itself (because it hadn't been tested by enough people on the outside in enough configurations with enough third-party software) and incompatibilities with third-party apps, all of which is going to keep people from upgrading. So, there really isn't a need to get it out earlier, if people end up holding off until June anyway.

And with all the problems vista has with compatibiltiy (amazing how much of MS's own software is incompatible), do we really want apple to face the same type of bad press?
  • Reply 77 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

All great points.

But no, Steve's keynote is always the first day at WWDC.

That's what I thought, that the idea of a keynote is to set the tone for a conference and often to kick it off. The Mac dictionary definition pretty much says this.
  • Reply 78 of 112
    Quote:

Does anyone remember the time it took for Apple to go from their last update to Panther (Mac OS 10.3) before Tiger (Mac OS 10.4) came out? If I remember correctly it was pretty quick...

I thought that 10.3.9 was released a little bit after Tiger was.
  • Reply 79 of 112
    Quote:

I'm not sure this is an entirely comparable scenario, though - I think that if anything, 10.3.9 was rushed to get Panther dead and buried in time for Tiger, which was ready to go long before 10.3.9 hit. I suspect this is going to be different.

And not everyone will be holding off the Leopard upgrade - I, for one, will be buying my new machine the day it hits, as I don't want to get it now only to spend £90 two months down the line, especially if there could be a hardware bump between now and then.
  • Reply 80 of 112
    morrismorris Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I thought that 10.3.9 was released a little bit after Tiger was.

Yes. I believe so too. Tiger came first, 10.3.9 a little later...