Apple to re-enter the sub-notebook market

1789101113»

Comments

• Reply 241 of 248
    8inch by 11inch by 3/4inch, very tough, 12.3inch swiveling multi-touch widescreen, 1.9Ghz Duo Core 2 fabbed at 45nm, 32GB Solid-State HDD, no Optical Drive, excellent GPU.
  • Reply 242 of 248
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iRumple View Post

8inch by 11inch by 3/4inch, very tough, 12.3inch swiveling multi-touch widescreen, 1.9Ghz Duo Core 2 fabbed at 45nm, 32GB Solid-State HDD, no Optical Drive, excellent GPU.

Why would such a small screen machine need an "excellent GPU"? Are you planning on editing video with FCP on such a machine? If so wouldn't such a small HDD be a major obstacle?
  • Reply 243 of 248
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Why would such a small screen machine need an "excellent GPU"? Are you planning on editing video with FCP on such a machine? If so wouldn't such a small HDD be a major obstacle?

Gamez, dude! If it can't do 1500fps with the latest FPS, then it sux!

I think that's the usual justification anyway for demanding high-end graphics.
  • Reply 244 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HellasMac View Post

the PC world offers consumer laptops with 15 and 17" screens, at MacBook prices.

Yes, but the quality is nowhere near what Apple has to offer.
  • Reply 245 of 248
    No messages recently. In the mean time Apple releases the IPOD Touch.

Question was this IT? The mobile device which you were all having wet dreams about?

Or has APPLE yet another device up it's sleeve????
  • Reply 246 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hey I am no expert on Japanese culture but from what you say and what I have seen of some Japanese idea of TV entertainment there must be a dual standard. They have the cruelest sense of humor in game shows I have ever seen. Apple ads seem tame next to making contestants crawl through tubes filled with slime and / or insects and so forth. I am not criticizing simply pointing out your generalization of the Japanese reaction to Apple ads doesn't seem to add up to me.

those shows are enjoyed in the context of fantasy/game. it's an entirely different thing in the corporate/political world, where things are taken much more seriously. cruelty to game show contestants has nothing to do with the attitude a company should take - especially a company with an "outsider" status. why should the little guy (i.e. mac, with its tiny japanese market share) belittle everyone else?

although, with apple's emphasis on clean design, reliability and customer service, i'm surprised their japanese market share is not a bit bigger.
  • Reply 247 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

although, with apple's emphasis on clean design, reliability and customer service, i'm surprised their japanese market share is not a bit bigger.

It used to be. Their second largest market, in fact, trailing the US.

However a combination of not making the right hardware (for example: subnotebooks & TV tuner equipped iMacs out of the box), poor marketing, general neglect, the ending of Macworld Tokyo and other factors have seen Apple sales flatline which equals steadily declining marketshare.

For example the entire toilet seat iBook era were machines the Japanese wouldn't use, and so they had to wait years to get the 12" iBook and even longer for the 12" PB. By that time the market had downshifted again to 11/10" notebooks sans optical drives.

No phone (as the Japanese lead the world in switching from MP3 platers to musicphones), no PDA when they could have used one (a Newton that kept living could have been huge in Japan for a few years, and longer if it evolved a smartphone model), and so forth.

However a Japanese adapted iPhone, a subnotebook and/or Newton2, and a few hundred million in infrastructure and marketing could bring back the residual Japanese interest in Apple and strengthen their marketshare and return the investment many-fold.

At the end of the day in European and Japanese operations Apple is acting like the company they were in 2001-3 (post-restructuring, post-iMac blip, pre-resurgence) rather than the company they are now.
  • Reply 248 of 248
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

It used to be. Their second largest market, in fact, trailing the US.

However a combination of not making the right hardware (for example: subnotebooks & TV tuner equipped iMacs out of the box), poor marketing, general neglect, the ending of Macworld Tokyo and other factors have seen Apple sales flatline which equals steadily declining marketshare.

For example the entire toilet seat iBook era were machines the Japanese wouldn't use, and so they had to wait years to get the 12" iBook and even longer for the 12" PB. By that time the market had downshifted again to 11/10" notebooks sans optical drives.

No phone (as the Japanese lead the world in switching from MP3 platers to musicphones), no PDA when they could have used one (a Newton that kept living could have been huge in Japan for a few years, and longer if it evolved a smartphone model), and so forth.

However a Japanese adapted iPhone, a subnotebook and/or Newton2, and a few hundred million in infrastructure and marketing could bring back the residual Japanese interest in Apple and strengthen their marketshare and return the investment many-fold.

At the end of the day in European and Japanese operations Apple is acting like the company they were in 2001-3 (post-restructuring, post-iMac blip, pre-resurgence) rather than the company they are now.

It's not just Apple. The personal computer industry in Japan has been weak for a number of years because of the economy.