Personal Vista Review

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I love this operating system.

I am still learning the ins and outs, but I have been on it pretty solid for about 3 days, and it's beautiful.

The interface is extremely snappy and attractive on my 6600GT. It really takes advantage of my 1.25GB of RAM. Every single program (aside from iTunes) that I use on a regular basis is running better under Vista than it did under XP.

The security pop-ups are not nearly as irritating as I thought they would be, as they are very easy to get past and never require a password (that I have seen). They let me know that Windows is being cautious about security, which is such a welcome feeling that I am glad to click a few extra "OK" buttons every so often.

The default UI is attractive and professional. I liked XP, but the UI has too goofy, loud, and in-your-face. Aero is classy and slick.

The improvements to Explorer are noticeable, and it adds functionality to the best default file viewer on a major OS platform (in my opinion).

I have noticed that it is more stable than XP, which by SP2 had already evolved into a very stable operating system.

The per-application volume leveling is fantastic and I have already taken advantage of it.

The system-wide search is fantastic, especially for launching obscure tools and utilities.

I am really happy with this OS. Nice job by Microsoft.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 126
    yep just wait after 2 weeks of usage

it will get slower just like xp (hey i am still using vista on my other computer)

just my 2 cents of observation...
  • Reply 2 of 126
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

I am still learning the ins and outs, but I have been on it pretty solid for about 3 days, and it's beautiful.

The interface is extremely snappy and attractive on my 6600GT. It really takes advantage of my 1.25GB of RAM. Every single program (aside from iTunes) that I use on a regular basis is running better under Vista than it did under XP.

The security pop-ups are not nearly as irritating as I thought they would be, as they are very easy to get past and never require a password (that I have seen). They let me know that Windows is being cautious about security, which is such a welcome feeling that I am glad to click a few extra "OK" buttons every so often.

The default UI is attractive and professional. I liked XP, but the UI has too goofy, loud, and in-your-face. Aero is classy and slick.

The improvements to Explorer are noticeable, and it adds functionality to the best default file viewer on a major OS platform (in my opinion).

I have noticed that it is more stable than XP, which by SP2 had already evolved into a very stable operating system.

The per-application volume leveling is fantastic and I have already taken advantage of it.

The system-wide search is fantastic, especially for launching obscure tools and utilities.

I am really happy with this OS. Nice job by Microsoft.

Did you upgrade from XP? I'm guessing you did vs. buying a new pc with Vista pre-installed. What was that experience like? What cpu and gpu do you have on your Vista machine?
  • Reply 3 of 126
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Hi There. I'm a long time dual XP/SP2 and OSX user. Which Vista "edition" are you using"?

Quote:

What is your basis for this observation? Are you using benchmarks?

Quote:

Can you be more specific about this general comment? I abandoned use of Explorer in XP long ago so I'm really interested in hearing about these improvements. Most Vista reviews I've read so far give the "New Explorer" a less than favorable review.

Quote:

What is your basis for this observation? Are you having fewer crashes per day than with XP/SP2?

Quote:

I'm not familiar with this feature in Vista. Can you elabotarate?

Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 126
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    backtomac:

P4 3.0ghz

1.25GB DDR

Nvidia 6600GT (128MB)

This machine has had XP since it was born. Vista came with a full system drive format.

lfe2211:

No benchmarks, just my own intuition.

Quote:

Can you be more specific about this general comment? I abandoned use of Explorer in XP long ago so I'm really interested in hearing about these improvements. Most Vista reviews I've read so far give the "New Explorer" a less than favorable review.

I am not surprised people are unhappy with it, it’s pretty different (not very much, but nerds are pretty much autistic when it comes to any change).

The non-classic Explorer window view in XP was pretty much useless, in my opinion. Now in all explorer windows you have a graphical representation of the file system on the left, always pointing to where you are in the main window. And above you have a breadcrumb trail showing the directory structure.

It is not dramatically different, but there are a lot of little changes that add up to it being very nice. One of the main reasons I refuse to use OSX as a main OS is that I hate the Finder with a passion, so maybe my this is a matter of odd personal taste. I really like Vista’s Explorer.

Quote:

What is your basis for this observation? Are you having fewer crashes per day than with XP/SP2?

Fewer hard freezes, mainly. Except for iTunes.

Quote:

I'm not familiar with this feature in Vista. Can you elabotarate?

You can change volume levels for different apps. The classic example is the insanely loud noises that IM clients can make if you’ve got your music cranked up. Now you can tell AIM or whatever to quiet down up without turning sound completely off or turning your music down.

• Reply 5 of 126
    Thank you. Good post. Try Path Finder on OSX--it's a great App, what the OSX Finder should be and much more. You still didn't say which Vista edition you're using.
  • Reply 6 of 126
    Grover,

Did you have any problems with the upgrade installation? Many have reported that it was difficult, even experienced users.
  • Reply 7 of 126
    Looks like I am not missing much.
  • Reply 8 of 126
    backtomac:

No different than installing any version of Windows after 95. Completely painless and it had drivers for everything built-in, usually you have to install some afterwards (especially video drivers).

lfe2211:

Ultimate
  • Reply 9 of 126
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I"m sure Vista is decent. XP was getting pretty damn old and needed to be replaced.

I'll likely wait and then see what VM program runs Vista the best and add it but I've other upgrades to make before then in RAM and HDD.
  • Reply 10 of 126
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    With the changes to the Vista UI, Microsoft has caused the loss of billion of dollars worth of productivity. So many things are laid out differently. It might be more efficient in the long run. Perhaps it is a more straightforward interface. But in the short run, to me, it mostly seems like change for the sake of change. I do tech support and I have wasted so much time not knowing where things are. "Damn it's not there in Vista, it's somewhere else." keeps hitting me.

There are some noticeable improvements. I do like that you can type into the search bar right above the start button instead of going to Run. But most of these improvements could have just been added on to Windows XP.

I think Microsoft moved everything around to pretend that Vista was really something new. And now everyone has to relearn everything. And the Control Panel now is really out of control. There are like 50 different control panels for virtually everything.
  • Reply 11 of 126
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spindler View Post

But in the short run, to me, it mostly seems like change for the sake of change. I do tech support and I have wasted so much time not knowing where things are. "Damn it's not there in Vista, it's somewhere else." keeps hitting me.

I think Microsoft moved everything around to pretend that Vista was really something new. And now everyone has to relearn everything. And the Control Panel now is really out of control. There are like 50 different control panels for virtually everything.

This was my short lived experience of Vista. It maybe takes getting used to but putting the UI aside, I prefer XP. And I prefer OS X to that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat

Steve Ballmer has killed groverat and is now posting under his name. Someone call teh FBI.

Vista is professional looking and snappy though. Hopefully Leopard will be too.
  • Reply 12 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Steve Ballmer has killed groverat and is now posting under his name. Someone call teh FBI.

Is that character assassination?
  • Reply 13 of 126
    Groverat,

Are you a dual platform user (XP-Vista/OSX)? If so, have you ever tried Path Finder on OSX (21 day free full trial)? If so, how do you think it compare to the new Vista Explorer? I'd be interested in your views. Thanks.
  • Reply 14 of 126
    I've had a developer preview of Vista for about 6 months and although it looks quite nice, it really slows down my work flow. The security alerts are very annoying once you're over the initial honeymoon period and short of turning the security off there's not that much you can do about it. Yes I want to access the friggin advanced settings ffsake! Networking in Vista is a right royal pain in the ass if you want to get technical. Some parts of the UI are cluttered and unclear and once you start loading your system up with programs and files, it's no better than XP.

Just my view after 6 months.
  • Reply 15 of 126
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I haven't tried Vista yet, but it seems to me they did the following:

1. Ripped off Mac OS X even more (Aero, Windows Flip, Gadgets)

2. Made the control panel even more ludicrously complex.

3. Made it look better overall

4. Made it arguably more stable and secure

Now, #2 drives me insane. I HATE the XP control panel. After years of using a Dell laptop for work, I still cannot find where things are to change settings. The worst is trying to figure out a network problem. There are about 17 places to look. Finally, you realize that a there a checkbox unchecked buried in the advanced settings under Internet Options (not network connections, mind you!). You didn't uncheck it either...it just got hosed one day. I am typing on an XP machine right now. I feel dirty.
  • Reply 16 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I am typing on an XP machine right now. I feel dirty.

Take a shower and have a cup of green tea. It will pass.
  • Reply 17 of 126
    spindler:

Quote:

With the changes to the Vista UI, Microsoft has caused the loss of billion of dollars worth of productivity.

hahahah what?

lfe220:

My laptop is a Powerbook with OSX.4.

I have never tried Pathfinder or any other Finder/Explorer alternative and I likely never will. The OS should provide that basic functionality, and (in my opinion), Windows Explorer has always been superior to the Finder and still is. If I have to install an entirely different file management system to make it workable then the OS itself is not worth my time.

The Finder works, but I hate it with a burning passion. It feels fat and childish.
  • Reply 18 of 126
    Quote:

spindler:

hahahah what?

lfe220:

I have never tried Pathfinder or any other Finder/Explorer alternative and I likely never will. The OS should provide that basic functionality, and (in my opinion), Windows Explorer has always been superior to the Finder and still is. If I have to install an entirely different file management system to make it workable then the OS itself is not worth my time.

The Finder works, but I hate it with a burning passion. It feels fat and childish.

yeah finder is bad just as bad as the windows flip 3d

at least if microsoft made flip 3d like expose it will be way better than what flip 3d now
  • Reply 19 of 126
    Quote:

spindler:

hahahah what?

lfe220:

Too bad you have such a narrow minded view on this issue. No operating system is perfect. For 20 bucks, you're missing out on one the best apps ever written for OSX. Path Finder v 4.6 blows the doors off of the new Vista Explorer. It has file management features that Vista Explorer will never come close to. I suggest you read the Explorer analyses by such Vista luminairies as Mary Joe Foley, Mark Manasi, Ed Bott or Paul Thurrott.

Path Finder also has other capabilities that go beyond file management but you'll never know since you've closed your mind on the topic because you "hate" the antiquated OSX Finder. It's akin to saying I won't use XP because IE 6 stinks (it does) and I'll never use Firefox (which is great) since it's not part of the Windows OS. What kind of fractured logic is that?
  • Reply 20 of 126
    If it was free I might do it, but I'm not paying $20 for it.