i need a free photo editing software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i have no photo editing software with my mac. i dont want to spend a couple hundred for aperature. I will only use it very ocassionally. all i basically need to do is just make cutouts and just basic photo program stuff. any help. maybe my hp printer will have something when i get it on my mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

i have no photo editing software with my mac. ...

Yes, you do. It is called iPhoto. For some Macs, Apple also bundles GraphicConverter, which is a baby Photoshop.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    regreg Posts: 832member
    You can give Gimp a try.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ok, i will try gimp, yah iphoto does stuff, but you cant make cut outs
  • Reply 4 of 13
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    I have to second the GraphicConverter... very straightforward, functional, and simple enough to use.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

ok, i will try gimp, yah iphoto does stuff, but you cant make cut outs

What di you mean by 'cut outs', cause iPhoto crops just fine
  • Reply 6 of 13
    i mean that i can like take a person and paste them on a different background to make them look like they are there. you just go arround the image and then copy it.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Well, to do that well, you need excellent selection tools, cloning brush, color and contrast adjustment, noise filter, gaussian blur...

I don't know of any freeware or shareware package that does all that. Do do it well, you'll need Photoshop Elements.

That is exactly the kind of tools you find in the Gimp.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    While I can't stand the Gimp, there is a more aquafied version called Gimpshop.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17629

It may be worth looking into.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    I would recommend you get Photoshop Elements. You can get an older version very cheap off Amazon. GIMP doesn't have vector brushes by default and it has to run under X11. GraphicConverter is ok for the odd thing but not having layers and a history tool really limits the amount of things it can be used for. I normally just use it for batch conversion. Anything more and it just frustrates me.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    no , u guys are over complicating this, this is just a lasoo program, i could do it on microsoft works before. i dont need vecter brush , or color change, just grab a select area and clone it
  • Reply 11 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    In that case, this program is quite a nice basic image editing program:

http://seashore.sourceforge.net/
  • Reply 12 of 13
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    I second Seashore.