Personal Vista Review

Comments

• Reply 21 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

If it was free I might do it, but I'm not paying $20 for it.

I'm with you. I tried it. It was very nice. But I'm not paying for it.

Apple just needs to step it up in regards to the Finder.
  • Reply 22 of 126
    Quote:

mmm

you paid 399 for a piece of copycat software but not willing to pay 20 bucks....

ironic
  • Reply 23 of 126
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Windows Explorer has always been superior to the Finder and still is.

Are you lost? Should'nt you be here? But really now.
  • Reply 24 of 126
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

The worst is trying to figure out a network problem. There are about 17 places to look. .

Ha ha. Vista has a whole new set of names and groups the network crap differently yet again. I was on a call and the customer's Vista networking screens didn't even match mine somehow.

Let's see how many names networking has gone through since Windows 98:

Network

Network connections

Dialup and Network Connections

Network Neighborhood

My Network Places

Network and Sharing Center (in Vista)

Network Explorer (in Vista)

and many more. Microsoft can barely design a control panel for a mouse without it getting overly complicated. Networking by its nature is the most complicated thing and it just spirals out of control as Microsoft is clueless about how to organize things in a top down logical fashion.
  • Reply 25 of 126
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I don't mean to pile on, but do you pay for virus and spyware protection on your vista/xp machine? Does this bother you?
  • Reply 26 of 126
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I didn't pay $300 for Vista (MS employee hookup).

Vista isn't a piece of "copycat" software any more than OSX is.

I haven't ever paid a dime for anti-virus/anti-spyware software. AVG and Avast! are good free AV apps and all the best anti-spyware apps (including Windows Defender) are free.
  • Reply 27 of 126
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:

I haven't ever paid a dime for anti-virus/anti-spyware software. AVG and Avast! are good free AV apps and all the best anti-spyware apps (including Windows Defender) are free.

What is meant by "MS Employee Hookup"? Not a "borrowed" unlawful copy I trust.

Grisoft's AVG is indeed a magnificent free anti-virus software program for XP. I've used it for about 4 years. It's small foot print is just great.

Windows Defender, now free, is the best of Breed Anti-Spyware program for Windows. However, what did you use before MS made it freeware on 10/26/06?
  • Reply 28 of 126
    Its glad to see one person actually love Vista, but most reviewers hate it. I wonder why, but maybe it's just that it was so much like Mac OS X and those people hate that -- and you don't mind it.

Glad you like it, and please comment if your opinion changes.
  • Reply 29 of 126
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I dont understand all the assaults on the finder, it works perfectly fine for me. I organize my files, I view my files, I do what I want with my files with no problem whatsoever.

For the matter whether Vista looks professional, it does have an overall better shine than XP but IMHO may be too glaring to use all day compared to the toned down image of OSX.
  • Reply 30 of 126
    Quote:

yes and how many people have the "MS employee hookup"

i cannot imagine paying 399 for a copycat software and still enjoying it.

yes you should go to the windowsforum like a person above mentioned.
  • Reply 31 of 126
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spindler View Post

Ha ha. Vista has a whole new set of names and groups the network crap differently yet again. I was on a call and the customer's Vista networking screens didn't even match mine somehow.

Let's see how many names networking has gone through since Windows 98:

Network

Network connections

Dialup and Network Connections

Network Neighborhood

My Network Places

Network and Sharing Center (in Vista)

Network Explorer (in Vista)

and many more. Microsoft can barely design a control panel for a mouse without it getting overly complicated. Networking by its nature is the most complicated thing and it just spirals out of control as Microsoft is clueless about how to organize things in a top down logical fashion.

Microsoft can't design anything logical. I'm convinced of that. Think back to Windows 95 with the introduction of the Start button. You have to press Start to shut down the computer? WTF?

Network settings (or anything involving any sort of communication whatsoever) are the worst. As I sit here and look at XP's control panel, I have five "network" type icons, not inlcuding things installed by my school district.

1. Internet Options

2. Network Connections

3. Network Setup Wizard

4. Windows Firewall

5. Wireless Network Setup Wizard

I mean, seriously. If I have trouble as multi-platform prosumer level individual, what does Bob the Builder do when he has a problem?
  • Reply 32 of 126
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

I dont understand all the assaults on the finder, it works perfectly fine for me. I organize my files, I view my files, I do what I want with my files with no problem whatsoever.

For the matter whether Vista looks professional, it does have an overall better shine than XP but IMHO may be too glaring to use all day compared to the toned down image of OSX.

I don't get it either. I was essentially a Windows user before I was a Mac user, and I have to say the Mac OS Finder makes me much more productive. It's easier to use, looks nicer, etc. Finding things is a snap. I use both platforms every day, and there are days where I just can't wait to come home and open up the MBP.
  • Reply 33 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

What is meant by "MS Employee Hookup"? Not a "borrowed" unlawful copy I trust.

Grisoft's AVG is indeed a magnificent free anti-virus software program for XP. I've used it for about 4 years. It's small foot print is just great.

Windows Defender, now free, is the best of Breed Anti-Spyware program for Windows. However, what did you use before MS made it freeware on 10/26/06?

My experience is that all windows virus and spyware prorams that I've used are very intrusive and quite annoying. AVG is among the worst. Oddly I find Norton the least. I've programmed it to run at night while away from work.
  • Reply 34 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

My experience is that all windows virus and spyware prorams that I've used are very intrusive and quite annoying. AVG is among the worst. Oddly I find Norton the least. I've programmed it to run at night while away from work.

I strongly,strongly,strongly disagree. Grisoft's AVG is not at all intrusive, is very small, runs fast and is free. Norton is a mega-memory hog supreme and often slows down the operating system to a crawl. When I had Norton, I'd shut it down until night time when I wasn't using the computer much. Not a safe situation for running windows but it was such an anchor on overall operations, I had to do this to preserve my sanity.
  • Reply 35 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I don't get it either. I was essentially a Windows user before I was a Mac user, and I have to say the Mac OS Finder makes me much more productive. It's easier to use, looks nicer, etc. Finding things is a snap. I use both platforms every day, and there are days where I just can't wait to come home and open up the MBP.

Google "John Siracusa Finder Mac" and you'll see all the reasons why the OSX Finder should be sent to the scrap heap. John is one of the best Mac OS analysts on the planet. Even if you still want to keep the feeble Finder after reading his articles, you'll learn a lot about Mac OS in the process.
  • Reply 36 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

I strongly,strongly,strongly disagree. Grisoft's AVG is not at all intrusive, is very small, runs fast and is free. Norton is a mega-memory hog supreme and often slows down the operating system to a crawl. When I had Norton, I'd shut it down until night time when I wasn't using the computer much. Not a safe situation for running windows but it was such an anchor on overall operations, I had to do this to preserve my sanity.

I'e heard others say the same yet I get an AVG pop up window every time I boot up and the system wakes from sleep. It's also three clicks to get rid of it. Very annoying.
  • Reply 37 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'e heard others say the same yet I get an AVG pop up window every time I boot up and the system wakes from sleep. It's also three clicks to get rid of it. Very annoying.

Adjust your settings correctly, This never happens on my Sony TX160 or my (now sold) Sony SZ330. All I get are morning downloads (if needed) of the Virus database after wake-up or hibernation. I also configure AVG for weekly scans (your choice for this time setting). Mainly, AVG is not a drain on system resources like Norton. You won't believe the speed difference on your computer once you mercifully kill Norton.
  • Reply 38 of 126
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    If I had pirated it I am the last person in the world to hide that. I pirate all kinds of stuff. I have a stupid amount of pirated movies, software, and music. “MS Employee Hookup” isn’t a euphemism, it’s the truth, and it really isn’t important to the discussion.

Quote:

However, what did you use before MS made it freeware on 10/26/06?

SpywareBlaster, SpyBot S&D, and AdAware

Quote:

Glad you like it, and please comment if your opinion changes.

Definitely, I love griping about stuff.

Quote:

It definitely works, without a doubt. I use 10.4 every day on my Powerbook and I haven’t thrown it out the window once, but it’s extremely bulky UI-wise and it’s not as flexible as Windows Explorer. I simply prefer Explorer and think of Finder as someone that I can work with but I really don’t like. Actually, I really just hate the Finder. I really wish bad things for it in its little software life.

“Here’s this great OS! It’s fast, it’s beautiful, it’s really nice to use! Oh, and here’s its inbred cousin that’s going to sit on your couch and break all of your dishes while talking about how much he wants to sleep with your sister.”

I want to move my files around. I want to rename them. I want to sort them with various options (date modified, size, filetype, whatever). Get the hell out of my way and let me do this.

Why can’t I have a real list view?

In Vista I have 7 different view options (Tiles, Details, List, Small/Medium/Large/Extra-Large Icon). That is flexibility.

There is a nice breadcrumb trail at the top (clickable at every point).

I have a graphical representation of the filesystem to the left that I can shrink and expand. I can put any file in the window anywhere in the OS simply by dragging and navigating spring-loaded windows.

In detail view I have 8 different sorting criteria (which I can turn on and off).

I can right-click cut-or-copy/paste documents anywhere.

Apple should have a better file system navigator than Microsoft, and it is inexcusable that they don’t. I shouldn’t be in OSX thinking “Man, I wish I could use Explorer right now”, but I do, constantly.
  • Reply 39 of 126
    Drop Dead Fred ... I think I need to watch that movie again.
  • Reply 40 of 126
    i do not imply that you pirate vista.

I just made a comparison that I do pirate vista and because of that I do not feel anything bad even when vista sucks. However, if you had paid 399 for a crappy copycat software, i think many people will not be satisfied