Best torrent client

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey guys,

Which is the best torrent client around???/

I've currently downloaded & used tomato and transmission. But none of these seem to be downloading as fast as the windows client "utorrent"

Any ideas????

Julz

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Azureus

without a doubt, its a bit heavy but with its extra features its worth it

DK
  • Reply 2 of 29
    neyoungneyoung Posts: 26member
    uTorrent is awesome. I have yet to find a torrent client for OS X that is as cool as it. If Transmission added selective file downloading then I'd be happy
  • Reply 3 of 29
    I have bittorrent, transmission and azureus. Azureus is the best so far but I have a program called Democracy, it is a internet TV thingy but it will download torrents as well at pretty high speeds. 45% faster than bittorrent and transmission and a little bit more faster than azureus.

Give it a go and let me know what you think of it.

To start a torrent in democracy just right click on the torrent and click "open with" and click on democracy.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    XTorrent is great. It's got a search engine built in to it so you don't have to go on those horrible pop up filled sites.

Transmission and Azerus are decent enough though.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Azureus is all I use. As for the pop-ups, I would try Camino. I don't think I've seen one pop-up yet.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    aryayusharyayush Posts: 191member
    Universal Cocoa applications: Transmission, BitRocket and Xtorrent.

Full featured (but Java): Azureus

Windows: µTorrent (Can be run using CrossOver Mac, Parallels Desktop for Mac, VMware Fusion or Boot Camp.)
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Unfortunately, Azureus is the only thing to use on the Mac. Maybe someday we'll have a lib-torrent based cocoa client. That'll be the day.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    sonicksonick Posts: 1member
    do you know in azureus how can i choose what files must be downloaded instead of the entire torrent?
  • Reply 9 of 29
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sonick View Post

do you know in azureus how can i choose what files must be downloaded instead of the entire torrent?

Go to the "Files" tab of the torrent and "right click" (or Ctrl-click, I believe, if you have no right mouse button) the files that you don't want to download. There should be an option to not download the file in this context-sensative menu. At least, there is on the Windows side.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    kingmekingme Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cryptohunter View Post

XTorrent is great. It's got a search engine built in to it so you don't have to go on those horrible pop up filled sites.

Is XTorrent a P2P or a torrent (or are they the same thing?)?
  • Reply 11 of 29
    feartecfeartec Posts: 119member
    I know its not directly related, but LIMEWIRE is the best torrent/file share system ever.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    I hate limewire. It just screams "poorly built" and "virus central" to me. \ It's not even a bittorrent client. It's a p2p network app. (which as we all know is a haven for piraters.)

Typically I don't really like java based apps. But Azureus is your best bet. The new version 3 beta is pretty good.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    I'm using the nightly build version of transmission, which seems very fast. Seems as if it's a toss up between transmission and azureus
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smashbrosfan

I hate limewire. It just screams "poorly built" and "virus central" to me.

"Virus"? Now that's a new word. What does it mean? \
  • Reply 15 of 29
    xtorrent??? Paying for a Bittorrent app, I dunno. Making my decision easy is the fact that it doesn't even even support encrypted transport, nor selective file downloading... I really miss utorrent (Windows-only BT cliebnt), but will happily use the resource-hungry Azureus until the blessed day when utorrent is ported to OS X...
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

"Virus"? Now that's a new word. What does it mean? \

Well the correct word is "virii", plural for virus, but since the computer age, it's rarely used.

But either way, just because Macs aren't infected by virii doesn't mean they can't be carriers. I've heard of hundreds of cases of Macs downloading infected software and then being networked to Windows PC's without an internet connection, and that PC will get infected.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cubbie5150 View Post

xtorrent??? Paying for a Bittorrent app, I dunno. Making my decision easy is the fact that it doesn't even even support encrypted transport, nor selective file downloading... I really miss utorrent (Windows-only BT cliebnt), but will happily use the resource-hungry Azureus until the blessed day when utorrent is ported to OS X...

Transmission is going to be the µTorrent of Mac OS X.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    adamradamr Posts: 72member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smashbrosfan View Post

Well the correct word is "virii", plural for virus, ...

'Virii' would be the plural of 'virius', which is not a word I have ever heard of. As far as I recall (I studied latin at university, but it was quite a while ago now), the plural of virus would be 'viri' with one 'i'.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So how about BitTyrant? It's supposed to be a "selfish" version of Azereus. I've just been using that, I'm just getting in to torrents. I used to used Acquisition but it seems like gnutella...is becoming less and less useful.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamr View Post

'Virii' would be the plural of 'virius', which is not a word I have ever heard of. As far as I recall (I studied latin at university, but it was quite a while ago now), the plural of virus would be 'viri' with one 'i'.

actually, the plural of virus is "viruses"