Apple patches issues with iTunes 7.1.1 release

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Inc. on Friday afternoon released a minor update to its iTunes jukebox software to address a handful of minor issues that have surfaced within the release of iTunes 7.1.

"iTunes 7.1.1 addresses a stability issue and minor compatibility problems in iTunes 7.1," the company wrote in a brief set of release notes accompanying the software.

The maintenance release is available from the Mac OS X Software Update mechanism and has also been posted to Apple's support site as a 28MB download for Macs and a 36.1MB download for Windows PCs.

Apple did not say whether Friday's update addresses any of the persisting incompatibilities between iTunes and Microsoft's new Vista operating system.

Earlier this week, the Cupertino-based company released iPod Reset Utility 1.0 which allows owners of its first- and second-generation iPod shuffles to restore the players back to their factory settings.

The reset utility is available for both Mac and Windows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    alpichalpich Posts: 96member
    I hope it fixes the lost library issue I have had twice since the last update.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I can't help but think that this was a fix for a poorly tested release. Apple did similar quick patch with Final Cut Pro recently where 5.1.3 broke much of the plug-in architecture, and 5.1.4 was released a week later. Previous updates of iTunes caused problems such that they needed to do a x.x.1 patchin a week or two, if it was so easy to find and fix, why did the flaw make it out? The quick release is somewhat good for Apple, but an indictment of the QA work done too.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    This patch did not fix the problems with a blurry scrollbar in coverflow mode on my MacBook. Do anyone else have this problem?
  • Reply 4 of 35
    ci0002ci0002 Posts: 23member
    This patch seems to have fixed a certain background scratchiness which had developed in my iTunes. BUT is did not install well, had to be forced quit. Seems ok
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

This patch did not fix the problems with a blurry scrollbar in coverflow mode on my MacBook. Do anyone else have this problem?

I do have this problem (MacBook) but I hadn't noticed before now.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

yeh same problem. also with a macbook
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

yeh same problem. also with a macbook

Me too...and I hadn't noticed until now either.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    since the 7.1 upgrade, iTunes crashes every time it attempts to sync my 30GB iPod photo. I even wiped and re-formatted the iPod to no avail. I was able to manually load the music, but cannot sync my iPhoto library. Got my hopes up with the 7.1.1 update, but have not really seen many posts with this issue. I have a G4 dual 800, running 10.4.9. losing patience.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasondotcom View Post

Me too...and I hadn't noticed until now either.

It's been a problem since iTunes 7.0.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

It's been a problem since iTunes 7.0.

Yup, I?ve had the same problem since 7.0 too.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    fixed an issue i had with itunes not showing my attached ipods even though the finder saw them mounted.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Dear Apple,

Pull your damned head out of your ass.

Outlook, for those of you who don’t know, is an e-mail client.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

Dear Apple,

Outlook, for those of you who don?t know, is an e-mail client.

It's probably a bug in the installer or a mistake in setting up the installer. For all we know, it might be Macrovision's fault, they make installers like that.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    One setup you certainly wouldn't want to test it on is Windows running Outlook. Now that is obscure!
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:

One setup you certainly wouldn't want to test it on is Windows running Outlook. Now that is obscure!

I don't think it really has anything to do with Outlook. It's hard to explain, but maybe the installer somehow just grabbed the wrong PID and the installer is showing what that PID really is.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:

On second thought, it might be updating a plugin of some sort for Outlook so that the iPod can sync with the contacts & calendar features in Outlook, that it might be desirable to have Outlook shut down first.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Let's face it - while iTunes is the only good option for Mac software integration and iPod syncing, it's also a pretty lousy program, and patching up a lousy program almost never results in anything good. Unfortunately, they have no reason to come up with anything better, because nobody else will be able to keep up with iPod, iPhone, iWhatever updates as fast or as well. About all that seems to get better is the iTunes Store integration...
  • Reply 19 of 35
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Let's face it - while iTunes is the only good option for Mac software integration and iPod syncing, it's also a pretty lousy program, and patching up a lousy program almost never results in anything good. Unfortunately, they have no reason to come up with anything better, because nobody else will be able to keep up with iPod, iPhone, iWhatever updates as fast or as well. About all that seems to get better is the iTunes Store integration...

Sounds like Microsoft's attitude towards their PC software!

• Reply 20 of 35
    jedd88jedd88 Posts: 6member
    I have a 15" PBG4 running OSX 10.4.9. Since installing iTunes 7.7.1 update, iTunes quits every time I launch it. Any help will be appreciated.