Dock Pref/ Slow/ Other Issues

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Dock:

I accidentally deleted the preference pane for the Dock when I meant to delete the actual preferences and restore the Dock to default. How do I get it back?

Slow:

This iMac has always been slooooooow. What might cause/ fix this. I have used iMacs with exactly the same specs and they are faster, allot faster. What can I do to resolve this?

Other Stuff:

The screen backlight is effed up, the superdrive won't read or write DVDs (CD's work fine most of the time) Will Apple Fix this? (I have AppleCare)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Backlight, DVD: Uh, yeah, that's what AppleCare is for. Call them.

Dock Preferences panel: Uh, that's down in /System... what were you doing messing around in there?? Heck, you have to override permissions to do what you did. Here's how you fix it: reinstall the OS appropriately, or copy it from another installation, making sure you set the permissions correctly, and, if you want to do it right, verify the version against the one in your Receipts .bom file for the latest update that installed it - if it mismatches, you'll have to figure out how to get the latest version and copy it over again.

Slow: Can't help you here, if specs are the same. Might have something to do with mucking around in /System, though. If it's just Safari, empty the cache. If you have limited RAM, get more, that always helps.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    The computer has always been slow and I only recently deleted the dock preference pane (I did a spotlight search for dock and accidentally deleted the wrong one--I have never even gone into the system folder.) And how long does it take AppleCare to fix things like that?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Hmmm... I'm rather curious how you deleted /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Dock.prefPane from Spotlight when you shouldn't be able to alter anything in /System to begin with. Are you sure that's the precise file you deleted? Because if not, a fix is likely a lot easier.

AppleCare timing can be variable. I recently had a major overhaul of an old PowerBook G4 take 48 hrs, total, from the time I boxed it up to the time I unboxed it, fixed. OTOH, my wife had an iBook G3 a few years ago take 3 weeks to get back. It depends on the repair, availability of parts, and such. Definitely call them though, they may be able to give you an estimate for time. Of course, if you live near an Apple Store, set up an appt at the Genius Bar and take it in - they can usually give you a better estimate because they can directly diagnose some problems.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Maybe that isn't the exact thing I deleted. *shrugs* If I didn't have a compulsive habit of deleting the trash I would still have it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Do me a favor? Check and see if that file is still there.

Also, what version of the OS are you running?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Do me a favor? Check and see if that file is still there.

Also, what version of the OS are you running?

It's gone--I'm running 10.4.9 on a 20" iMac intel core duo