computers and carpet

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've been told that setting a computer onto carpet is a big nono due to static electricity and dust etc... My problem is that I've just moved into an apartment that is totally carpeted from my previous tile room. I have a Dual Core tower, so setting that sucker on top of my desk is pretty darn...unappealing. As pretty as Apple makes their products, I still don't want a massive tower adorning my otherwise simple and minimal desk. The tower will fit under it, but then it's sitting directly on carpet. Any ideas? Are there products that you are supposed to buy to set the computer on (like those plastic chair slider pads for wheeled chairs on carpet) or is the static/dust rumor simply untrue? I don't want to learn the hard way on my $2k system.

Thanks much in advance for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asaph View Post

I've been told that setting a computer onto carpet is a big nono due to static electricity and dust etc... My problem is that I've just moved into an apartment that is totally carpeted from my previous tile room. I have a Dual Core tower, so setting that sucker on top of my desk is pretty darn...unappealing. As pretty as Apple makes their products, I still don't want a massive tower adorning my otherwise simple and minimal desk. The tower will fit under it, but then it's sitting directly on carpet. Any ideas? Are there products that you are supposed to buy to set the computer on (like those plastic chair slider pads for wheeled chairs on carpet) or is the static/dust rumor simply untrue? I don't want to learn the hard way on my $2k system.

Thanks much in advance for your help!

This is mostly untrue in practice; slightly true in theory. Just remeber, whenever touching anything on the INSIDE of your computer...make sure the computer is unplugged and your grounded.

Regardless, you'll be completely in the clear if you just put something underneath...for example, a plastic mat.