Anyone got a ford focus ST?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
damn i love that car, has anyone here got one? if so how is it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

The European Focus is sold in America as the Mazda 3 (for the record). The US Focus isn't as good. What is the ST? I assume it's a high performance model. I test drove the standard 2.3L Mazda 3 two years ago but eventually bought an Impreza WRX instead. The Mazda 3 is a nice car, though, and is a great looking hatchback. A tuned up version would be even better.

The Mazdaspeed 3 has supposedly been on the drawing board for some time, but I don't think it's out yet. Conflicting reports seem to indicate that it will either be a tuned-up 2.0L or the same turbocharged, AWD platform as seen in the Mazdaspeed 6. If the latter is the case, it will give the Evo and STI a run for their money, and it will undoubtedly be many times better looking than both.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    The Volvo S40 is also pretty much the same car, with extra luxury stuff (the S40 and V50 T5 have the exact same engine as the focus ST).

There is also a convertible ford focus that is awesome and only available in Europe (and I think that the focus convertible is smaller than the Volvo C70, they made the C70 a lot wider than the S40).

edit:

It is not quite the same engine as the Volvo

"While the outputs are little changed from the Volvo, Team RS's engineers have been to work on the acoustics. The intake has been tuned to give the distinctive five-cylinder timbre a deep bass edge. It sounds great and thoroughly in keeping with the ST's "refined performance" aspirations."

The made it sound faster.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I don't have one, but it looks a helluva lot better thanthe US focus. go here http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/focus/ and look at the photo gallery. You'll see why the euro-spec focus is so much better

sorry i can't show you a pic right here, it's not working right now
  • Reply 4 of 7
    OK, so it turns out that the Mazdaspeed 3 came out for 2007 (shows how much I keep in touch).

It appears to be better than the Focus ST, and cheaper. It packs a 2.3L turbo (263hp, 280 ft. lbs), and supposedly there's a Mazda-supported intake (i.e. won't void warranty) that adds another 30hp. Car and Driver magazine seems to like it a lot (link. I'm tempted to sell my WRX and get one, but I generally hate front wheel drive. I will have to test drive one.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    That convertiable euro focus is pretty cool. Much improved over the ugly hatches that makes up most of the euro focus line. We really need the euro designers over here. Add the Ford europe car line (plus the 4-door fiesta from Brazil and the 3.5L v6 squeezed into the Mondeo) and the next Falcon and Fairlane to the U.S. truck contingent and Ford has real winner on their hands.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

That convertiable euro focus is pretty cool. Much improved over the ugly hatches that makes up most of the euro focus line. We really need the euro designers over here.

The euro designers are over here.

And what's wrong with hatchbacks? One of my favorite cars in the world is a hatchback. The RX-7 and Corvette are also hatchbacks, and I like both of them as well. It's a good way to make a small car a little more useful. In fact, I think compact sedans are kind of dumb. Most of the world agrees.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

I'm not really a hot-hatch fan, but my brother bought one for his Mrs. It's not a bad car at all for the money. I'd be spending my time at the Honda dealer if I were you though. The new Civic Type-R is out and the Stig likes it.. alot!