Apple TV said to be worthy of overtaking both TiVo and Netflix

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wally007 View Post

what a tool. No way Apple TV takes off in a way that Tivo and OR Netflix have to worry.

Less than DVD quality with no extras for nearly same price as DVD , no TV to speak of at all and this tool think its going to take over Tivo ? Get real.

I agree with your statement as of Today.

Hopefully version 2.0 or 3.0 will address many of the concerns and then maybe it might be a treat to my home DVR and Netflix. Until then I think AppleTV is just a cool device to add to my entertainment arsenal but not a replacement to it at all.
  • Reply 22 of 114
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

how about if it sat on top or below the apple tv, was the same size / shape as the apple tv and plugged into the USB port, $99. ?

Hmm. you mean like this ?
  • Reply 23 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

Oh, and that analyst doesn't know what he's talking about. I don't see Apple adding DVR to the Apple TV anytime soon. For good or bad, it just doesn't fit in with their strategy to replace scheduled programming with content that's ad-free and download-on-demand. Providing DVR would only decrease iTS sales.

You are correct. Every time I see some reference to Apple TV as a DVR waiting to pounce, I scratch my head. Apple doesn't want you to record "Grey's Anatomy"; it wants you to download it from iTunes.

Also, I fully expect to see within the next two years (1) a movie PPV plan -- $5 for new releases and $4 for catalog films, and (2) a TV subscription plan that will be priced comparable to cable.

There's so many ways to do TV subscriptions -- all content, network plans, x shows for x dollars, etc -- but Apple will be gunning directly for high-end cable and satellite customers to switch and bring their disposable income to iTunes/Apple TV.
  • Reply 24 of 114
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnaina View Post

Hold on there billybob. This is still version 1.0 and the game has just begun. Once content distribution systems have matured, fast (>30 Meg) broadband adoption rate goes up, and more households have HDTV, you will HD quality offered on ITMS. It's about addressing the major segment of your market.

For example, I'm geeked up beyond your average home. I've got a 60" Panny 1080P plasma, a DLP 1080I capable projector, Blu-Ray, Mediacenter, 100Meg DOCSIS 3.0 cable based broadband (FTTH coming soon) etc, etc. Apple is not targeting folks like me. Most folks have standard def CRT's still with perhaps component video inputs at best. This is where Apple is targeting. Once the HD owners segment increases (along with faster broadband speeds) you bet that Apple will have AppleTV HD edition for sales. It is part of the plan.

As I understand it, Apple TV is only able to work with an HD TV, that is exactly who they are targeting! - it has zero support for a traditional SD CRT TV. It will deliver 720p right out of the box via HDMI or component and considering many so called HD tvs are not true 1080i I am betting the picture will look pretty darn good. The Netflix et al set up is currently only SD (they may now also offer Blue Ray and HDTV ... but not many players out there yet) so I can see ATV blowing them away in quality immediately at 720p..
  • Reply 25 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sseaton View Post

The old Apple was certainly hard-headed... but the new Apple? Intel chips, Windows running on Apple hardware, iPods with video, iTunes on PCs. These are things the old Apple wouldn't have considered, but Apple is a new company these days. They like marketshare and making lots and lots of money, while producing really great products. With this said, I believe you make some good points... and I believe Apple will incorporate both your ideas into the Apple TV... it just might take awhile.

I don't see how any of these signify Apple is less hard-headed. Once Apple made the switch to Intel chips, Windows running on Apple hardware was inevitable. Apple didn't create Bootcamp to assist in the process; it was created to kill off whatever 3rd party hacks got Windows onto Mac hardware (as you might notice, it was released immediately after the first confirmed Windows-on-Mac hack). As for iTunes on PC's: Would the iPod be the dominant portable media player today if it was still stuck being Mac-only?

And getting back to the one-button mouse, it was, what, barely a year ago that Apple actually made the switch to having the two-button mouse as the default.

I know Steve Jobs says a lot of stuff that he doesn't really mean but that supports Apple's current marketing strategy (no video on iPods, etc.). But if they stick to the "people want to own their content" strategy with TV, it will fail. If I have a day off from work, I enjoy watching "The Price is Right" but it doesn't mean I want to own that episode forever. And I certainly wouldn't fork over $2 for the privilege. American Idol is huge, but I doubt there are many people archiving it forever (but there are probably more than I'd like to believe). I generally like to own movies, but there are many movies that aren't good for repeat viewing like "The Sixth Sense" or "The Illusionist."
  • Reply 26 of 114
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Apple TV said to be worthy of overtaking both TiVo and Netflix

ROTFLMAO!

I mean please folks. April Fools Day isn't for two more weeks.
  • Reply 27 of 114
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

ROTFLMAO!

I mean please folks. April Fools Day isn't for two more weeks.

He who laughs last ....
  • Reply 28 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQ78 View Post

2) Provide a Rental and/or a subscription service. (Apple is known for being hard headed about things, and they have stated they think people want to own content. Hopefully, they know that movies are different than music, but one never knows. How long did we have to live with 1-button mice.

I would agree that people want to own their movies, hehehe if they are so cheap that it makes no sense to rent, make the movie 5 bucks to own and most people will buy instead of rent. IMHO Most people will not purchase a movie at full or even 1/2 normal price unless they are sure that they are going to want to view it multiple times, like the kids movies for example.

Outside of that, most people would prefer to rent a movie instead.

I think this analyst is dreaming or smoking the good weed.
  • Reply 29 of 114
    Yeah............

I doubt that AppleTV will be released with DVR capabilities... but there has to be a reason they put a HDD in there. I mean, if you can stream with 802.11n, there's no reason to store anything onboard.

Apple may or may not give it the opportunity to become a DVR, but they were right that all it *should* need is a Firmware update to make it possible.

You can almost gaurantee, however, that someone will hack the unit, teach it to run linux, and write some DVR software for it. I mean, look at what they can do with the iPod and the PSP. Lots of crazy stuff.

So AppleTV will someday have DVR capabilities... the only question is whether they will be Apple-endorsed.

-Clive
  • Reply 30 of 114
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I don't see how any of these signify Apple is less hard-headed. Once Apple made the switch to Intel chips, Windows running on Apple hardware was inevitable. Apple didn't create Bootcamp to assist in the process; it was created to kill off whatever 3rd party hacks got Windows onto Mac hardware (as you might notice, it was released immediately after the first confirmed Windows-on-Mac hack).

That suggests causality because one event happened after another, but I think it was a coincidence. The problem is that a while before the release of Boot Camp, Jobs hinted at something that was going to be released on April 1 (30th anniversary of Apple's founding), which was the release of Boot Camp. His words sounded to me like they'd have something bigger, like an anniversary Mac, but Boot Camp is all we got on that day. I have yet to run it. If I'm going to run Windows on a Mac, it will probably be through Parallels.
  • Reply 31 of 114
    No really...why hasn't ANYBODY thought of this.... IPTV !!!! deployed by AT&T, yeah the same ones that are with Apple in that little project iPhone or something like that....hehe ok... so take IPTV wich Microsoft as of CES 2007 said it will have on XBOX 360 by December 2007, let Microsoft create the market for IPTV and let Apple upload an update to make ur 1st generation AppleTV IPTV enabled. Noooooo hardware upgrade necessary (Ethernet port) and its 40GB will make a perfect DVR plus ur installed base (every AppleTV 1G owner), will be . Soooo u still have the same cost of hardware, no TV tuners or cable cards which give Apple the same gross margin as of launch with a greater value. If nobody has noticed...it's what's been happening to the iPod and how Apple has extended it's lifespan: minimal hardware updates (mostly to minimize cost) incremental memory upgrades and added value powered by tiny hardware and software upgrades. After IPTV upgrade I believe Apple could seriously have a competitive piece of hardware for Media Centers, Media Center Extenders, Tivos, Sling Players whatever.... juusst with a software update and counting on AT&T...right now the AppleTV is just another iPod to add to ur collection...ooo and remember the casual games... really hasn't ANYBODY thought of this?????
  • Reply 32 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

"Apple TV can, in our opinion, be easily turned into a DVR with little or no hardware modification and a software upgrade"

I don't think adding a TV Tuner and CableCARD qualifies as "little or no hardware modification" but that's just me.

Apple doesn't even enable all the features available that are in the iPod, there a few exceptions for when you attach $50+ add-ons. However, if it could accept an existing TV tuner, then I'd be interested.

CableCard is a nice idea, but it seems as if the cable companies are trying to extinguish it.
  • Reply 33 of 114
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    1) TiVo is cheaper, faster, has a larger selection, and is higher quality

2) Netflix is cheaper, faster, has a larger selection, and is higher quality

3) Netflix and TiVo require boxes cheaper than Apple TV

4) Netflix and Tivo support HD

AppleTV is not a replacement, it's just a supplementary technology for iTunes DRM victims.... er.. customers

OK, so 50 million TV shows/movies have been downloaded from itunes. I bet a BILLION TV shows/movies have been viewed through netflix and TiVo

AppleTV will probably only expand the market for iTunes shows. I don't think TiVo or netflix will suffer as a result, nor do I think iTunes will "overtake" either, let alone both PVRs and Rental services.

I'm sure iTunes store will amke more PROFIT than TiVo and Netflix, but I don't think that's what was meant by "overtake"
  • Reply 34 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead View Post

OK, so 50 million TV shows/movies have been downloaded from itunes. I bet a BILLION TV shows/movies have been viewed through netflix and TiVo

Netflix alone exceeded that. Netflix already claims 1 billion rentals. They've been doing that a little longer though.
  • Reply 35 of 114
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Totally agree. All the naysayers out there think that everyone's a tech geek. They also talk as if the AppleTV, once released, will never ever be upgraded. Those of you who are tinkering with your TIVO, cable card, Windows MCE or what have you --the AppleTV right now is not for you. The AppleTV is meant for the large segment of consumers who were intimidated by the complexity of all those gadgets but found the iPod/iTunes quite manageable and so they passed on the former and bought the latter.

While you may be correct about the tech geekery of the naysaysers getting in the way of their analysis (no tech geek, myself included, thought much of the iPod when it was released), the trouble here is that Apple TV is supposed in the article to be a "Tivo killer" or a "Netflix killer". Unlike the early, clunky MP3 players the iPod replaced, these two services are very easy to use already and they fill needs that Apple TV simply can't (DVR and rental, respectively).

Also, while Apple could conceivably add a rental service with a simple software patch, or perhaps not even that, I would think adding DVR functionality (which would benefit the iTunes store.. how??) would require a hardware upgrade, which again falls into the "tinkering tech geek" category.
  • Reply 36 of 114
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Am I the only one who thinks the Apple TV might be a huge flop? After the initial coolest factor of Apple's newest toy is gone, I can't really see the point of this product.

- Nobody is going to cancel their Netflix/BlockBuster DVD subscription over this.

- Nobody is going to cancel their TiVo/Cable Company DVR service over this.

- I can't imagine that many iTunes users buying as much TV/Movie content as they do Music content.

- At best the iTunes/Apple TV is an awkward solution to a personal on-demand DVD center.

Even if Apple adds a DVR and rental services (and that is a very big if) will they be enough for you to cancel your membership to another service?

I just don't get it?? What I am missing?

Dave
  • Reply 37 of 114
    Ok no really any thoughts on Apple + AT&T = iPhone and visual voice mail, Apple + AT&T = AppleTV + IPTV = DVR
  • Reply 38 of 114
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Am I the only one who thinks the Apple TV might be a huge flop? After the initial coolest factor of Apple's newest toy is gone, I can't really see the point of this product.

- Nobody is going to cancel their Netflix/BlockBuster DVD subscription over this.

- Nobody is going to cancel their TiVo/Cable Company DVR service over this.

- I can't imagine that many iTunes users buying as much TV/Movie content as they do Music content.

- At best the iTunes/Apple TV is an awkward solution to a personal on-demand DVD center.

Even if Apple adds a DVR and rental services (and that is a very big if) will they be enough for you to cancel your membership to another service?

I just don't get it?? What I am missing?

I don't see it being particularly successful. For those who already download movies off iTMS they may sell some but I don't see it bringing in any new users. If I want to watch a new movie why should I pay full price to download it instead of ordering it On Demand for far less? I really don't see the attraction but then again billions of dollars worth of ringtones are sold each year so people will buy anything.
  • Reply 39 of 114
    It's obvious that Apple TV is a device for a niche market. It offers no competition to Netflix/DVD because the iTunes store only has 500 movies or so, they are not for rent but for sale and it takes awhile to download them (4-5 hours for the average dsl/cable customer).

Unless Apple unveils a movie rental service where you can schedule iTunes to rent 3 movies a week and pay $20/mo, there's really no competition. Movies are not like tunes, most movies we watch are crappy and not even worth seeing once and most of the ones worth seeing are only worth seeing once.

There'll be a small number of people buying Apple TVs compared to the people buying iPods.
  • Reply 40 of 114
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Everyone here is focussing only on video/movies. There is music and photos and internet video content. Netflix/Tivo, etc. don't address these at all and my eyeHome does a shtty job on these. I thing ATV will be a success (don't know how large) because it unifies access to all of these. Like the iPod version 1 will grow based on experience and feedback of actually users.