Apple posts expanded WWDC07 Sessions list

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple posts an expanded Sessions list by Track on the ADC portion of their site.

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/sessions/

As always there are some interesting subtexts

Apple seems to be embracing AJAX/Web 2.0

Core Animation

Quote:

Building Animated Cocoa User Interfaces\t

Delight your users with dynamic, responsive user interfaces. In Leopard, standard AppKit NSViews can be rendered and animated using Core Animation. Learn how to combine familiar Cocoa controls, views, and event handling with the power of Core Animation layers to create stunning user interfaces.

I'm betting Apple uses CAn pretty frequently in Leopard

iCal grows up

Quote:

Integrating iCal Events and Tasks into Your Application

The Calendar Store framework, provided in Mac*OS*X Leopard, is a simple interface to a user's iCal data. Using the Calendar Store, applications can read, create, and modify events and tasks with just a few lines of code. This hands-on session explores the ways your application can use calendaring to keep users connected, even when your application isn't running.

I'm hoping that input of data in iCal is a "one time" thing. I was a bit worried that CS would be read only but this seems to allay my fears as it seems to state that apps that support CS will have write access.

Interface Builder is all new

Quote:

Developing Plugins for Interface Builder

Interface Builder 3.0 provides a brand-new plugin architecture for developers to integrate their custom controls directly into the new Library window. Learn how to build your custom control as a plugin, how to give your control a unique look, and even how to create its own specialized inspector.

I'm no developer. Is this the first time IB has offered plug-ins ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

No, but Leopard's Interface Builder is so completely different from the old Interface Builder that I don't think it will even accept the old plug-ins.

The old Interface Builder was really just a patched up version from NextStep. They didn't even fix the icon.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Apple posts an expanded Sessions list by Track on the ADC portion of their site.

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/sessions/

As always there are some interesting subtexts

Apple seems to be embracing AJAX/Web 2.0

Core Animation

I'm betting Apple uses CAn pretty frequently in Leopard

iCal grows up

I'm hoping that input of data in iCal is a "one time" thing. I was a bit worried that CS would be read only but this seems to allay my fears as it seems to state that apps that support CS will have write access.

Interface Builder is all new

Custom Controls have been around since the early days in NeXTSTEP. It was just a very daunting task to learn how to develop them without the aide of NeXT.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Cocoa, Cocoa, and even more Cocoa with Ruby and Python (Bill Bumgardner on this one) and more.

Less and less Carbon.

About damn time!!

Bring on the whining Carbon posters.

The fact Carbon stuck around is in lieu of replacing all parts in Cocoa equivalents.

One can always write pure C in Cocoa.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    mdriftmeyer As much as I would like to see all Mac OS developers switch to Cocoa, this will never happen....or if it does....it will happen very slowly.

Companies like Adobe, Microsoft, etc will never rewrite their code. It's a nice pipe dream though
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Quote:

Adding Core Animation to Your Application

Core Animation is an incredible layer-based animation system that will revolutionize the user experience of your application. Come learn how the automatic animation capabilities of Core Animation make compositing and animating 2D, 3D, and video content easy. See how to use this capability to explore new forms of data visualization and user interaction. Don't miss this opportunity to learn how Core Animation will transform your application.

Quote:

Building Animated Cocoa User Interfaces

Delight your users with dynamic, responsive user interfaces. In Leopard, standard AppKit NSViews can be rendered and animated using Core Animation. Learn how to combine familiar Cocoa controls, views, and event handling with the power of Core Animation layers to create stunning user interfaces.

Makes me think how Apple will be utilizing CoreAnimation if they talk so highly of it to their developers....

Quote:

Creating Leading-edge 2D Graphics with Quartz

Quartz is the high-performance 2D graphics system at the heart of the Aqua user experience. See how to directly access the Quartz 2D APIs to handle even the most advanced vector or bitmap drawing needs. Learn the fundamentals of the drawing model and how to use advanced rendering features to create high-quality 2D graphics. A key session for all application developers interested in creating more compelling 2D graphics in their application.

Is Quartz Extreme ready?

Quote:

Fundamentals of Digital Video

As the world of digital video changes, the key to staying ahead of the curve is making your content look its best regardless of where it is viewed. Gain a comprehensive overview of the current digital media landscape including tape formats from SD to HD, color space, aspect ratios, audio and video codecs, and much more. This is a must-attend session for anyone creating rich media.

QuickTime 8.0 coming soon?

Quote:

Mac OS X State of the Union

hmmm No description for this one...something big is coming...think "top secret features"

These are just some of the sessions I find to be very interesting. I think Leopard will be an amazing OS and it will really be up to the developers to show off the full potential of what this OS will be capable of handling!

Edit: Below is an even more interesting session:

Quote:

From Power On to Log In: Inside the Mac OS X Leopard Boot Process

Gain insight into the Mac OS X startup process from the time the power is turned on until the login prompt appears. Developers of file system plug-ins can learn how to boot from volume formats not supported by the Mac boot ROMs while avoiding the need to write Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) or Open Firmware drivers.

"learn how to boot from volume formats not supported by the Mac boot ROMs" In particular. Wouldn't the only volume that will not look for the Mac boot ROM be a PC not supported by Apple? I.E. a Dell, HP, BM, etc box?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

"learn how to boot from volume formats not supported by the Mac boot ROMs" In particular. Wouldn't the only volume that will not look for the Mac boot ROM be a PC not supported by Apple? I.E. a Dell, HP, BM, etc box?

i'd rather say that that sounds like ZFS
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

mdriftmeyer As much as I would like to see all Mac OS developers switch to Cocoa, this will never happen....or if it does....it will happen very slowly.

Companies like Adobe, Microsoft, etc will never rewrite their code. It's a nice pipe dream though

Adobe has had several ObjC developers work with them for years. Adobe is expanding use of Qt and WebKit is a good example of Cocoa and Qt working together. There is plenty of ObjC++ examples for Microsoft to either fork their sources or not.

The support for Carbon will remain for many years to come. The advances will be focused on Cocoa.

I could care less whether Microsoft starts to write more of its interfaces in Cocoa. Apple openly admits to embracing OpenXML and OpenDocument formats. These standards will be crucial for document interchange.

May the most intuitive UIs to leverage these options win.

Microsoft is going after Adobe and their PDF standard. That's not going to win much favor within Adobe.

If you want to develop the most advanced features in Leopard then the focus in on Cocoa, not Carbon.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

If you want to develop the most advanced features in Leopard then the focus in on Cocoa, not Carbon.

Oh I completely agree. I can always feel the difference between a Cocoa app and a Carbon one and personally I loathe Carbon
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thetru7h View Post

i'd rather say that that sounds like ZFS

How do you figure? Currently, if Mac OS X were installed on an external drive, or rather under File Structure (ZFS, Mac OS Extended, etc) would still look for for the Mac boot rom. From what I gathered is that it would not look for it at startup. Are you saying if you install Mac OS X on an external or internal drive and format it with ZFS, it will not look for the boot rom on say an iMac?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Oh I completely agree. I can always feel the difference between a Cocoa app and a Carbon one and personally I loathe Carbon

Well then, you ought to like this.

There is exactly *one* mention of Carbon on that list:

Carbon and Cocoa Integration Lab\tMac OS X Essentials\tLab

Get one-on-one technical assistance for integrating both Carbon and Cocoa into your products. This is your opportunity to integrate new Cocoa features into your Carbon code. Receive help and troubleshooting advice from the Application Kit engineering team, High Level Toolbox engineering team, Apple DTS engineers, and technology evangelists. Bring your laptop, your code, and your questions.

Ie, get yer ass in gear like we've been telling you for years. Carbon is, if not officially, at least practically, deprecated.

I suspect 10.6 will freeze all Carbon development, if they don't do it this time around.

And, am I just getting senile, or is CoreText new?
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

IIRC, it's new in Leopard. I went to a session on it at last year's WWDC.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Well then, you ought to like this.

There is exactly *one* mention of Carbon on that list:

Carbon and Cocoa Integration Lab\tMac OS X Essentials\tLab

Get one-on-one technical assistance for integrating both Carbon and Cocoa into your products. This is your opportunity to integrate new Cocoa features into your Carbon code. Receive help and troubleshooting advice from the Application Kit engineering team, High Level Toolbox engineering team, Apple DTS engineers, and technology evangelists. Bring your laptop, your code, and your questions.

Ie, get yer ass in gear like we've been telling you for years. Carbon is, if not officially, at least practically, deprecated.

I suspect 10.6 will freeze all Carbon development, if they don't do it this time around.

I noticed that too I sure hope you're right about Carbon! Carbon to me feels like a mamoth beast dying a slow death!

And yes I noticed CoreText and no, you're not going senile, I too believe this is yet another Core service. By the time Mac OS 10.6 comes around I think the only thing developers will have to do is come up with the ideas for their applications with light coding as it seems a lot of the work will be pretty much done for them via CoreServices.

Also notice the web development sessions in how to incorperate them into your app? Might we see iWeb like features being built into apps? I also think iWeb is going to have an overhaul based on all these web development sessions.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    iWeb hell, I think we're seeing WebObjects ][, The Quickening.

Okay, so not the industrial strength beast WO was, but a consumer version. CoreData instead of Oracle, etc, etc.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

I noticed that too I sure hope you're right about Carbon! Carbon to me feels like a mamoth beast dying a slow death!

And yes I noticed CoreText and no, you're not going senile, I too believe this is yet another Core service. By the time Mac OS 10.6 comes around I think the only thing developers will have to do is come up with the ideas for their applications with light coding as it seems a lot of the work will be pretty much done for them via CoreServices.

Also notice the web development sessions in how to incorperate them into your app? Might we see iWeb like features being built into apps? I also think iWeb is going to have an overhaul based on all these web development sessions.

Yes the "we do everything for you" API that Apple has now has me excited about learning enough to whip up small apps for myself and friends. I found out that Core Text is in fact in Tiger but it's undocumented and supported so Apple must have been testing this for a while. Evidentally it's improved enough that Allan Odgaard of Micromates has "drank the koolaid" and will support it as Textmate 2.0 is leopard only.

I'm looking forward to iWeb 2 and Apple would be crazy not to add a bit of AJAX to it. I'm eagerly awaiting Safari 3 and support for CSS3 and other niggling stuff that is missing.

I'm sensing a bit of interest in the Scripting Bridge. Forgive my newbie ignorance but it sounds like an easier way to make calls through Cocoa to Applecript without using Apple Events? I dunno but it's about time for me to start scripting and automating my tasks.

The new Interface Builder plug-in format is going to be .xib. I'm betting that its far more robust than what preceded it. I remember reading developers kind of laughing when Apple bragged about develpment tools (GCC blah blah blach) but even a newbie like me sees the value in Xcode 3, Obj-C 2.0 (Garbage Collection) and new stuff like Xray and Dashcode.

I'm seeing more and more solid product coming from part time developer (iRatchet, Journler etc) than ever before. Apple's goal to deliver RAD tools is paying off well. Apps look great and they function great as well. Leopard should make things even better.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

Leopard should make things even better.

Yup! Just think of what developers like Delicious-Monster, madebysofa.com (who designed Disco) and other creative developers will do with all these new technologies!

If you can dream it, you CAN do it! 8)

While Microsoft is trying to attract users to Vista for the OS, how much does it offer for the developer? Versus, Apple is creating a killer OS that will sync in with killer tools for the developers. If you ask me, if I were a developer I would look at the tools that are available and what they will bring to the user experience rather than look at just what the OS can do. Does that make sense?
  • Reply 16 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Yup! Just think of what developers like Delicious-Monster, madebysofa.com (who designed Disco) and other creative developers will do with all these new technologies!

If you can dream it, you CAN do it! 8)

While Microsoft is trying to attract users to Vista for the OS, how much does it offer for the developer? Versus, Apple is creating a killer OS that will sync in with killer tools for the developers. If you ask me, if I were a developer I would look at the tools that are available and what they will bring to the user experience rather than look at just what the OS can do. Does that make sense?

Interesting thing sitting on Wil Shipley's blog. He stated something to the effect of "Delicious Library has always had a big plans and he's trying to get there as soon as he can" That kind of surprised me because clearly he has had a roadmap for the product and he basically knew it would take 3 major revisions. I can't wait for DL2..I got DL from Mac Heist for a steal and I'm ready to pop for an update. Textmate 2.0 will be a free update. I've got Disco as well but I haven't used it yet.

I know that many Mac users are a bit jaded about Leopard but if they only looked and listened to the glee that developers are showing for technologies. Imagine the creativity they will show when they no longer have to

deal with the pain of ATSUI because of Core Text

deal with the pain of a relatively broken Tiger Sync Services

deal with the pain of html rendering because webkit is progessing nicely.

The support Apple is showing to Ruby and Python is great for web apps.

Come on when Woz states gushing about OS X it's time to take notice.

Ok...I sounded like the BIGGEST OS X cheerleader evar there. Stepping off the soapbox now.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

It's not only new, it's fantastic. Easy and fast.

Attachment 141
  • Reply 18 of 30
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

It's not only new, it's fantastic. Easy and fast.

Since session 137 isn't in the free ADC on iTunes list, I'm assuming you want to edit that post.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

It's a private API in 10.4 and will become public and much more useful in 10.5. As I understand it, it deprecates ATSUI and such, and brings some huge performance improvements in dealing with large chunks of text; possibly enough to make TextMate use NSTextView.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Keen. God, I remember being at WWDC when ATSUI was introduced, and being touted as the UberSolution. Heh.