Mossberg confirms: Apple TV runs Mac OS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

1) Install Perian and an other codecs that might be needed.

2) Export for ?tv.

3) Done.

Cool, I hadn't heard of Perian before. Thanks!
  • Reply 22 of 89
    I just occured to me. If you enable Quicktime to play AVIs and other formats, and iTunes uses Quicktime. Why won't iTunes let you copy those files to it's library?
  • Reply 23 of 89
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

And I think the most telling quote from the article that applies to the discussions that have been going on in these forums is...

Quote:

Apple TV isn't for that small slice of techies who buy a full-blown computer and plug it directly into a TV, or for gamers who prefer to do it all through a game console. And it's not for people who are content to watch downloaded TV shows and movies directly on a computer screen. Instead, it's for the much larger group of people who want to keep their home computers where they are and yet enjoy their downloaded media on their widescreen TVs.

Which isn't really saying much. How big is that 'group' that want to enjoy downloaded media on their widescreen TVs? Sure, its bigger then the "Let's put a computer in the room" and "Let's sit around the computer and watch a movie crowd", but those are small crowds to begin with.
  • Reply 24 of 89
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fastred View Post

Quicktime Pro? It now has an "export to Apple TV" function...

Right on. "Apple has quietly added an “Export to Apple TV” feature capable of creating high-definition videos viewable on the Apple TV. Unlike Export to iPod, which currently creates sub-DVD-quality 640 by 480 videos, Export to Apple TV creates not only full DVD-quality 720 by 404 videos, but also 1280 by 720 videos." (http://www.macsupport.ca/2007/03/18/...ple-tv”/
  • Reply 25 of 89
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It's not going to sell unless it has a DVR!!11

It's lame because it doesn't do my divx movies!

Just wanted to get that out of the way.
  • Reply 26 of 89
    iSquint. It'll export to mp4 that can be placed into iTunes. It's free and it works great.8)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

I don't

It has to be in iTunes to work. I've got several AVIs from XTorrent I'm looking to convert to an iTunes compatible format. Anyone know of a good program for that?

• Reply 27 of 89
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nufase View Post

Also, will this ONLY stream movies that are in itunes? What if I keep my movies ina different folder on my Mac, will I be able to stream these as well? Or will I have to convert them into an iTunes compatible format to stream them. Right now they are all divx files....

You could just put an alias of your movies folder into the iTunes folder. I do that with FrontRow and it works nicely.
  • Reply 28 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

You could just put an alias of your movies folder into the iTunes folder. I do that with FrontRow and it works nicely.

I don't understand, why would you not just copy them into iTunes and let iTunes mess with where it's located? What value is there in manually managing the files in a folder somewhere? Put it in iTunes and have access to all the meta data that it provides! And if you need the actual file, hit Command-R to reveal the file in Finder.
  • Reply 29 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Which isn't really saying much. How big is that 'group' that want to enjoy downloaded media on their widescreen TVs? Sure, its bigger then the "Let's put a computer in the room" and "Let's sit around the computer and watch a movie crowd", but those are small crowds to begin with.

You have to be kidding. With all the hype, the potential size of the market just from the iPod/iTunes success, and all voices of the pundits, it is going to be huge and right from the start.

Keep in mind that the techie market is extremely small. Just look at this forum. Same people all the time. Same complainers. Same supporters. We are the exception.
  • Reply 30 of 89
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

I don't

It has to be in iTunes to work. I've got several AVIs from XTorrent I'm looking to convert to an iTunes compatible format. Anyone know of a good program for that?

http://dettmer.maclab.org/movie2itunes
  • Reply 31 of 89
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidosus View Post

His article may be found here...

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/solution-20070321.html

Well if this is the same article: NOWHERE IN THAT ARTICLE DOES IT SAY APPLETV RUNS OS X!!!
  • Reply 32 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

it is going to be huge and right from the start.

• Reply 33 of 89
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Send one my way and I would like it too. Paying $299, now that is another story.
  • Reply 34 of 89
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

And I think the most telling quote from the article that applies to the discussions that have been going on in these forums is...

Quote:

Apple TV isn't for that small slice of techies who buy a full-blown computer and plug it directly into a TV, or for gamers who prefer to do it all through a game console. And it's not for people who are content to watch downloaded TV shows and movies directly on a computer screen. Instead, it's for the much larger group of people who want to keep their home computers where they are and yet enjoy their downloaded media on their widescreen TVs.

OK ... let me do a Venn diagram. Hmmm ... so it's for a group of people who happen to have movies stored on their computers but won't watch them on the computer. "Much larger group"??? Try non-existant! Just who does he think these people are who have been storing movies on their computers without watching them?
  • Reply 35 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Well if this is the same article: NOWHERE IN THAT ARTICLE DOES IT SAY APPLETV RUNS OS X!!!

"Apple TV is tiny, just about eight inches square and an inch high, far smaller than a typical DVD player or cable or satellite box, even though it packs in a 40-gigabyte hard disk, an Intel processor and a modified version of the Mac operating system. And it has a carefully limited set of functions."
  • Reply 36 of 89
    Quote:

OK ... let me do a Venn diagram. Hmmm ... so it's for a group of people who happen to have movies stored on their computers but won't watch them on the computer. "Much larger group"??? Try non-existant! Just who does he think these people are who have been storing movies on their computers without watching them?

Man, talk about taking things out of context. Better you read the original quotation again.
  • Reply 37 of 89
    Quote:

He said those who aren't content to *just* watch them on the computer. And I fit that description perfectly. I have a lot of movies that I've ripped into iTunes, but I can't play them without dropping everything I'm doing on the computer. And I'll finally be able to watch Rocketboom and MacBreak without stopping whatever I'm doing on the computer as well! And as more content goes into iTunes, I envision being able to drop DishNetwork and just get the Shows I watch.
  • Reply 38 of 89
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

It's not about watching or not watching them on the computer. Most people don't keep their computers in the living room and near the big screen HDTV. Therefore, they have no way to watch it on their HDTV while sitting on their sofa. Not everybody is content to watch it alone at their desk while sitting in front of a 20" widescreen LCD.
  • Reply 39 of 89
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Maybe a Venn diagram would help: It's not people who "won't watch them on their computer," as you ridiculously claim, it's people who also want to watch them on their TV.
  • Reply 40 of 89
    Quote:

I envision being able to drop DishNetwork and just get the Shows I watch.

What about live programming?