Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 1081 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I know I heard fulfillment is slow which sucks but the movies that I can order are decent but I can wait for them.

Ironically enough, I got home tonight and my discs were in the mailbox! So yes, it DID take three months, but props for following through eventually!

I was a bit overcritical of the choices Toshiba was offering. My main complaint is that most of them were movies I already have on DVD.
  • Reply 1082 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Nah, one can wait for a PS3 price cut and get the best of both worlds--gaming and high-def movies in Full HD...

I'll pick up a BD player when the standalones drop to $300, or combo players to $500. Sorry, but I have nil interest in a PS3...and I'm still waiting for a must-have movie.
  • Reply 1083 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrunoBruin View Post

I'll pick up a BD player when the standalones drop to $300, or combo players to $500. Sorry, but I have nil interest in a PS3...and I'm still waiting for a must-have movie.

Me too. I'm not buying on Sony's terms. When Blu-ray is $300 bucks or less I'll gladly take a look or I'll accept a solid Universal player.

Blu-ray supporters seem so keen on telling me I have to wait or kowtow to Blu-ray's desires. That "would" be the case if there wasn't a competitor. Having HD DVD at my disposal gives me options even without access to all studios.

$299 players are going to appeal to people who are looking to keep the cost of moving to HD down low.
  • Reply 1084 of 4650
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

$299 players are going to appeal to people who are looking to keep the cost of moving to HD down low.

Yup. And now that HDTV sets are finally reasonable this will be the missing component.

But I have to say. HBO-HD, Cinemax HD and Showtime HD coupled with my DVR are making it less of an urgency for me to buy a player.
  • Reply 1085 of 4650
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    From over here.

Quote:

What? It's already over? Over at Cheapassgamer.com, folks are posting that the Xbox 360 HD DVD player is being marked down at Walmart to US $130 from its retail price of $199.99. What's more, apparently Walmart has cleared out its HD DVD players.

They could be awaiting new models of HD-DVD players but very interesting that they'd be dumping the 360 add on. I guess it hasn't done as well as they hoped. I wonder if more weren't sold for computer use than 360s?
  • Reply 1086 of 4650
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Something interesting, but AACS is optional on HD DVD, yet required for Blu-Ray. I know, not a big deal for the big studios, because they want DRM, but a difference maker for the little guys?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10058863

Quote:

AACS charges a $3,000 to $10,000 initial contract administration fee ... with the cost for each studio being determined by certain factors I can't recall offhand.

I paid $3,000 for the privilege of being tagged another $1,500 plus $200 for e-mail delivery = $1,700 for every check disc we make that does not work.

So, in the case or an early adopter release like CHRONOS, which took at least four (4) Check Discs to get right, AACS charged $1,700 x 4 = $6,800 for the "AACS Encyption Keys."

Add the $3,000 initial fee for the AACS Contract, and we got banged for almost $10,000 by AACS just to put out a Blu-Ray Disc. Nice.

We are forced to use AACS for BD but have the option with HD-DVD. You may notice that we do NOT use AACS on any of our HD-DVD releases nor do we plan to in the future.

Some people have asked me why the BD Version of CHRONOS cost more...this is one reason. If we could sell 10,000 to 20,000 units, these costs could be absorbed. However, we will be lucky if we sell maybe 25% of that number in year #1.

For some reason, the HD-DVD Version of CHRONOS is outselling the BD Version 2 to 1. This could be temporary as the HD-DVD has been out longer.

This is probably more information than you asked probably care to know, but I cannot help myself once I get rolling..

• Reply 1087 of 4650
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Telomar View Post

From over here.

They could be awaiting new models of HD-DVD players but very interesting that they'd be dumping the 360 add on. I guess it hasn't done as well as they hoped. I wonder if more weren't sold for computer use than 360s?

Walmart.com is still showing it at $199

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5334336
  • Reply 1088 of 4650
    What makes me laugh is all these idiots buying the XBOX 360 add on HDDVD player. Since theres no HDMI output, and only output in component which cant be encripted, when the studios mandate that HDCP be inabled on future releases these players wont be able to play them. Then they just wasted 200 bucks on a player that can only play certain disks. Talk about a hastle.

I guess if piracy doesnt become a problem with HDDVD rips then the studios wont need to worry about it but chances are it will.
  • Reply 1089 of 4650
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    Including an ultra-slim laptop drive perfect for the MacBook Pro. link
  • Reply 1090 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Better idea for the ultra-slim drive: move the AppleTV to a Mac Mini case, add the drive, and name this new higher-end model the AppleTV+, now with Blu-ray playback! They've already got all the HD circuitry, it'd just be a minor matter of making iTunes play back Blu-ray content, which I'm sure Apple is well on their way to anyway.
  • Reply 1091 of 4650
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Ok, I figured you guys can answer this question better than anyone. I keep seeing reference to 1080i/p not being true 1080 on anything smaller than a 60". I dont' know if these people just don't know what they are talking about or if I'm missing something completely.

This is a quote out off of macrumors in reply to apple tv being 720p.

Quote:

1080p? For who? It only makes much of a difference if you're buying a TV that's 60" or larger. Ok, so that's already a small segment of the population.

But maybe it would be worthwhile if all those 60+" owners are out there sitting on tons of 1080p video footage. Except there really ISN'T much 1080p footage available anywhere.

Why should this device have a feature that virtually no one will be using anytime soon? That's certainly a feature that can be added later once it has some use for more than a handful of people.

Final question: does having a 60" or bigger impact the looks of 1080 vs smaller?
  • Reply 1092 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

What makes me laugh is all these idiots buying the XBOX 360 add on HDDVD player. Since theres no HDMI output, and only output in component which cant be encripted, when the studios mandate that HDCP be inabled on future releases these players wont be able to play them. Then they just wasted 200 bucks on a player that can only play certain disks. Talk about a hastle.

I guess if piracy doesnt become a problem with HDDVD rips then the studios wont need to worry about it but chances are it will.

Actually, HDCP is fully functional and implemented over digital interconnects. It's analog connections, VGA and component, allowing HD-DVD contents play back w/out HDCP compliance. I'm not current with the status, but there was a big debate regards to mandating HDCP(High bandwidth Digital Content Protection) over an analog which didn't make sense to many. Have they come to a final decision? Currenty, HD-DVD playback via analog is only allowed via xbox360 and SD-DVD upconvertion is only allowed via VGA, but would not over the component. It's possible that M$ may have $pecial right$ to keep it this way even in the future.

BTW, there's rumor going around regards to possible price drop on the HD-DVD add on drives. Well... if M$ can manage to drop the price at $99, this will get even more interesting where HD-DVD rushes the market with cheaper hardwares and over 300 HD-DVD titles to come starting from April....

Looks like HD-DVD is re-engaging this format dispute.... after a long break.
  • Reply 1093 of 4650
    Quote:

Me too. I'm not buying on Sony's terms. When Blu-ray is $300 bucks or less I'll gladly take a look or I'll accept a solid Universal player.

Blu-ray supporters seem so keen on telling me I have to wait or kowtow to Blu-ray's desires. That "would" be the case if there wasn't a competitor. Having HD DVD at my disposal gives me options even without access to all studios.

Happy birthday, hmurchison!
  • Reply 1094 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Ok, I figured you guys can answer this question better than anyone. I keep seeing reference to 1080i/p not being true 1080 on anything smaller than a 60". I dont' know if these people just don't know what they are talking about or if I'm missing something completely.

This is a quote out off of macrumors in reply to apple tv being 720p.

When people refer to 1080i/p not being 1080p could mean different things. In the hardware level, 1080i capable hardware is capable of handling 1080i signal, but does not mean the hardware can show all 1080i/p.

In the video signal process level... 1080p24 (HD-DVD/BD) movies are processed and handled as 1080i and will be reconstructed to 1080p60 on most players. Many new players have been noted to implement 1080p24(true HD) passthru mode with future firmware but no currently 1080p machines can do 1080p24 at the moment, however, I've heard that HTPC is capable of 1080p24. So, in some sense, it's not pure 1080p for those who care about these things.

Quote:

Final question: does having a 60" or bigger impact the looks of 1080 vs smaller?

Well, this really depends on individual's ability to see the difference. It basically comes down to how good your optics are and whether you apreciate/care about the small but noticeable difference you can resolve. This ability is really depending on the distance & size fo the screen. You can have 1080p 37" screen viewing from 3 feet away vs. 120" 1080p screen viewing from 9 feet away will provide similar level of visual details on the screen.

So, what does this mean to the norm?.... Well... The difference between 1080p vs. 720p is noticeable but small. However, the degree of difference would depend on the size of the screen and the viewing distance. Basically, if you're comparing 60" screens, you'll proabably won't see the pixels on screen around 3 feet from the 1080p screen, but maybe 4 to 5ft for 720p screen of the save size. However, you also have to take consideration of most HDTV's come with internal scalers and would convert all 720p signals to 1080p on the 1080p screens, so the difference may be even smaller. However, I'd pay little extra for more pixels as long as the premium isn't 2x the cost.

Well.... hope this helps.....but I'm getting little confused myself here.....
  • Reply 1095 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Happy birthday, hmurchison!

Thanks Greg!

OT

I really appreciate the discussions that I have here with you guys even though we have our differences sometimes. I find you guys to be smart and experienced and I learn a lot in our discussions. That makes every birthday a time to reflect on what i've learned over the last year.
  • Reply 1096 of 4650
    Quote:

Thanks Greg!

OT

I really appreciate the discussions that I have here with you guys even though we have our differences sometimes. I find you guys to be smart and experienced and I learn a lot in our discussions. That makes every birthday a time to reflect on what i've learned over the last year.

Yah we all share info. It's amazing the stuff I've learned from everyone here.

Happy b-day Murch!
  • Reply 1097 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Well, this really depends on individual's ability to see the difference. It basically comes down to how good your optics are and whether you apreciate/care about the small but noticeable difference you can resolve. This ability is really depending on the distance & size fo the screen. You can have 1080p 37" screen viewing from 3 feet away vs. 120" 1080p screen viewing from 9 feet away will provide similar level of visual details on the screen.

So, what does this mean to the norm?.... Well... The difference between 1080p vs. 720p is noticeable but small. However, the degree of difference would depend on the size of the screen and the viewing distance. Basically, if you're comparing 60" screens, you'll proabably won't see the pixels on screen around 3 feet from the 1080p screen, but maybe 4 to 5ft for 720p screen of the save size. However, you also have to take consideration of most HDTV's come with internal scalers and would convert all 720p signals to 1080p on the 1080p screens, so the difference may be even smaller. However, I'd pay little extra for more pixels as long as the premium isn't 2x the cost.

Well.... hope this helps.....but I'm getting little confused myself here.....

So the only difference between a 37" running 1080i vs 60" running 1080i is what you'll see at a viewing distance?
  • Reply 1098 of 4650
    Quote:

So the only difference between a 37" running 1080i vs 60" running 1080i is what you'll see at a viewing distance?

In theory on the comparable setup with only difference being the size, yes.... the difference between 37" vs. 60" is the allowable optimal viewing distance. For example, If optimal viewing distance for 37" is 2.5 to 5 ft, then 60" would allow 3 to 9 ft.
  • Reply 1099 of 4650
    Thank you bitemymac!
  • Reply 1100 of 4650
    Quote:

Thank you bitemymac!

you're very welcome!

BTW, Happy B-Day Murch!.... So, new A2 is B-day present for yourself?