iMac=Low-end Mac...but iPhone=High-end phone?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I thought the "i" prefix products were aimed at the lower-end consumer products, whereas the "Mac" designation was the "all-growed-up" category. Should the iPhone have been named the MacPhone or ApplePhone anyway?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ai51240ai51240 Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I thought the "i" prefix products were aimed at the lower-end consumer products, whereas the "Mac" designation was the "all-growed-up" category. Should the iPhone have been named the MacPhone or ApplePhone anyway?

Did you write this while you were stoned? Heard of the iPod?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Well, that was the case when Apple had its Four Areas of concentration... the consumer and pro versions of its laptops and its desktops. Then, over time, they added squares in the middle and then the whole squares idea was thrown out. If you'll remember it was iBook, iMac, and PowerBook, PowerMac. Now it is Macbook, iMac, and Macbook Pro, Mac Pro and then Mac Mini. Kinda got all mixed and the i prefix no longer means what it used to.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    What else should it be called Phone Pro?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

What else should it be called Phone Pro?

The iProne!

Multi-touch iProne! Now with happy ending!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

what r u talkn about? the "i" doesnt mean low end! its just a name... a marketing gimmickif u will... u should be ashamed of yourself...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Geez, newbies attack!! Heh, heh. I guess I was a little "stoned" when I wrote that... I'm very sick right now.