Briefly: Apple's Leopard to boost Photoshop performance

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    I think it's the "spell-checking Nazis" that have emerged from the woodwork in this forum, not the grammar police, since we're talking about the most trivial of spelling errors here, not grammatical mistakes.

What's this forum coming to? Sad times indeed with so many taking out their spell-checking anger on Kasper...
  • Reply 22 of 45
    I've got to believe that Apple is thinking about all the articles that are coming comparing CS3 apps running under 10.5 and the same apps running on the same machine under XP or Vista. Of course the CS3 optimization for each platform could be to blame but the slower OS is going to take a lot of flak - first and foremost from Adobe.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

and the gandpa police not far behind

That's Grandpa.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_before_e_except_after_c

However, `` In an forum post made a few weeks ago...'' should read:

In a forum post made a few weeks ago...

You place an n when the proceeding word begins with a vowel.

Yeah, but what about the sentence "I'll see you in an hour!". You don't say "a hour". So another damn English freaking loophole.

And since we're ranting on this daggum language (that's a word, right???), all possesives written with an apostrophe (like "Fred's car"), and contractions on "is" are written with an apostrophe (like "Fred's late again!"), except for the freakin' word "it", which doesn't have the apostrophe for the possessive (or the contraction, I can never remember which its - or is it it's - supposed to be!). It really is one stupid-assed rule. And it gets more aggravating when those grammar police start nit-picking on it when you use it incorrectly.

And, finally, what in the world is wrong with ending a sentence in a preposition. When I want to get my jiggy on, why am I required to explain what I'm getting it onto?
  • Reply 25 of 45
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

NAB is for braodcast Tv. But the Adobe Preview of new Suite is on March 27th. Yesterday, at their earnings report Adobe said that there are no special Leopard features (that aren't also available when running on Tiger), but that performance is increased on the Intel machines over the PPC platform.

NAB is for broadcast anything, TV, radio, and motion picture happens to be in the mix too for some reason. They do seem to be against satellite radio, I think the radio division may have been co-opted by Clear Channel.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djacopille View Post

I've got to believe that Apple is thinking about all the articles that are coming comparing CS3 apps running under 10.5 and the same apps running on the same machine under XP or Vista. Of course the CS3 optimization for each platform could be to blame but the slower OS is going to take a lot of flak - first and foremost from Adobe.

According to Adobe, they will not be updating CS2 to run on Vista.

If you want to run Vista, you will also be running CS3. Though it does not take advantage of Vista's improved graphics capabilities because of all the delays in the final product.

All of this sounds eerily familiar to me...now where have I heard this before???

• Reply 27 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

That's Grandpa.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Actually the word is grandfather, with no capital first letter.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamezog View Post

I think it's the "spell-checking Nazis" that have emerged from the woodwork in this forum, not the grammar police, since we're talking about the most trivial of spelling errors here, not grammatical mistakes.

What's this forum coming to? Sad times indeed with so many taking out their spell-checking anger on Kasper...

Exactly, I couldn't give two balls myself. Or should that be "I could care less"
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Yeah, but what about the sentence "I'll see you in an hour!". You don't say "a hour". So another damn English freaking loophole.

More specifically the rule is words that start with a vowel sound are proceeded by an. Hour sounds like our so it gets the 'an' treatment.

-Grammar Security, eating dough nuts...
  • Reply 30 of 45
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Good lord, people, can we get back to the topic at hand?

The key thing here is that leopard will have system-wide grammar correction to improve Photoshop topic posting performance.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Quote:

Actually the word is grandfather, with no capital first letter

Right, as it isn't being used in place of a name. I believe that's how the rule goes. You would capitalize it if the sentence went something like, "Hey, Grandpa is on the phone!"

Quote:

Well not necesarrily. Most of the time, yeah...but there are a few exceptions. Like you wouldn't say "an ewe", you'd say "a ewe". And you wouldn't say a "honor", you'd say "an honor". So I think it's best to go by sound, rather than vowel/consonant.

Gotta love the English language. x.x

edit: Oh! Too late.

What was the topic really about? Oh yeah. That sounds great. I'm excited to think that it's quite possible Leopard/CS3 will be out by the time I finally get my Mac.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_before_e_except_after_c

However, `` In an forum post made a few weeks ago...'' should read:

In a forum post made a few weeks ago...

The rule I learned in elementary school was:

"i" before "e" except after "c" or when sounds like "a" as in n"ei"hbor and w"ei"gh. But there are exceptions as stated in Wiki.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Exactly, I couldn't give two balls myself. Or should that be "I could care less"

I couldn't care less.

I could care less implies that you are capable of caring less than you currently are. Which doesn't make too much sense when implying something doesn't mean anything to you.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    pascal007pascal007 Posts: 118member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mugwump View Post

The key thing here is that leopard will have system-wide grammar correction to improve Photoshop topic posting performance.

This is definitely the best post of the whole thread. Congratulations for allowing me to laugh out loud !
  • Reply 35 of 45
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamezog View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Every news item we get, people criticize the spelling, the grammar or the importance of the article. The guys at AppleInsider bring whatever news they get their hands on and they run the forum very well. I think they deserve more respect.

Even if criticism is mentioned once, let it be. Don't overrun the whole thread with those type of posts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djacopille

I think this is what Apple are aiming at too. If they can show one of the most popular benchmarking programs running faster in OS X than Vista, it would look very favourably on them. It's a gamble of course because if after all that work it runs the same or slower then no one's going to care much. Also remember, all the Photoshop plugins are going to have to be recompiled for CS3 so that will affect adoption rate yet again.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

And since we're ranting on this daggum language (that's a word, right???), all possesives written with an apostrophe (like "Fred's car"), and contractions on "is" are written with an apostrophe (like "Fred's late again!"), except for the freakin' word "it", which doesn't have the apostrophe for the possessive (or the contraction, I can never remember which its - or is it it's - supposed to be!). It really is one stupid-assed rule. And it gets more aggravating when those grammar police start nit-picking on it when you use it incorrectly.

And, finally, what in the world is wrong with ending a sentence in a preposition. When I want to get my jiggy on, why am I required to explain what I'm getting it onto?

Start a new thread. All are valid concerns and questions....
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tarnished Halo View Post

I couldn't care less.

I could care less implies that you are capable of caring less than you currently are. Which doesn't make too much sense when implying something doesn't mean anything to you.

You're new here, aren't you? If you read my comment again you should notice the quote marks I put round the quote, as in not my words.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You probably COULD give two balls, but you likely wouldn't want to.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mugwump View Post

Good lord, people, can we get back to the topic at hand?

Good one!
  • Reply 40 of 45
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Well if da education system won't teach people dis stuff, who else gonna do it?

Back to the original topic... I still use Photoshop 2.03 under Classic on my iBook. I want Classic to run on my MacIntel.