iPhoto...waste of time for me?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm downloading it right now...

Seems though that everything I have camera and media reader wise is "obsolete" from what I saw on Apple's site for compatible cameras and stuff...

1. Agfa ePhoto CL30 Digital Camera - Nope.

2. VST Tri Media Reader - Nope.

Well, I'll see what will happen.

Another off topic question:

I downloaded the OS X driver for my Agfa SnapScan 1212u scanner at Agfa...please excuse my lack of experience here...

What is a .dmg file...it's a "disc image" file right? Well here's my problem...

When I double click this ScanWise_SnapScan1212u.dmg file it becomes a drive icon (sorta like a white firewire drive) then when I click it the scanner application starts and I can scan.

Fine, but where is this application? I can't seem to "install" it and am only left to "eject" it. Thereby the application vanishes. I have to keep opening the .dmg and start over again to use it.

What am I doing wrong here? Because the iPhoto I'm downloading seems to have become a .dmg file...help...? Thanks.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Artman @_@ ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    Once you see that white firewire-like drive show up on your desktop, drag the application out of it and into your Applications folder. Then you can eject the mounted image and the .dmg and just run the app from your Applications folder.

-Y
  • Reply 2 of 8
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Thanks Ybot for the information there...

But guess what? iPhoto is totally useless.

Camera don't work.

Tri Media Reader won't work.

Scanwise I think doesn't work.

With Scanwise I checked the Destination preferences and I could only choose File, Printer/Fax, Clipboard, Mail Recipient, IE Web Image, Microsoft Word (classic), Photoshop 5.5 (classic), Appleworks 6, GraphicConverter or Preview to import into...no iPhoto.

iPhoto for me = 27 MBs of bullshit.

Well, again its back to OS 9.2.2 where I can really get things started and finished.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    SnapScan works great with my 1212u, maybe you should try downloading the .dmg again and dragging it into your Applications folder, you probably messed something up.

iPhoto's usefulness is just a little beyond importing pictures directly from your camera. You can import pictures to iPhoto after getting them off the camera with whatever Agfa software you have to use, and then organize, keyword, edit, crop, resize, share, print, export, order prints, etc etc.

Also, if you were under the impression, iPhoto doesn't support TWAIN acquire for scanners just yet. But you can import and edit pictures quite easily after getting them off the scanner.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>SnapScan works great with my 1212u, maybe you should try downloading the .dmg again and dragging it into your Applications folder, you probably messed something up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, the ScanWise software works fine with GraphicConverter. In ScanWise I just pick GraphicConverter as it's destination. Let's hope the carbon plug-in for the future Photoshop for OS X they gave me will work...

By the way, you did here that Agfa announced last year that they will not support their cosumer line of scanners anymore! I would guess their consumer cameras too...

[quote]<strong>iPhoto's usefulness is just a little beyond importing pictures directly from your camera. You can import pictures to iPhoto after getting them off the camera with whatever Agfa software you have to use, and then organize, keyword, edit, crop, resize, share, print, export, order prints, etc etc.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I think I will find uses for iPhoto. Just only for its cataloging and display purposes. I'll see...

[quote]<strong>Also, if you were under the impression, iPhoto doesn't support TWAIN acquire for scanners just yet. But you can import and edit pictures quite easily after getting them off the scanner.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That'll be one of the only other features I could use with it. Maybe more. But as for importing my camera images (what it's really for)...it's useless...

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Artman @_@ ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 8
    That really sucks.. I feel for you. For some dumbass reason, iPhoto doesn't seem to support my printer (Epson Stylus Color 740/740i). Why? I have no frickin' idea. It was one of the most popular printers for iMacs for several years. Plus, what exactly is there to support--OS X already supports it.

Maybe you can sell your Agfa on eBay and go with a more reputable brand (like Sony or Canon) in the future..?
  • Reply 6 of 8

<strong>That really sucks.. I feel for you. For some dumbass reason, iPhoto doesn't seem to support my printer (Epson Stylus Color 740/740i). Why? I have no frickin' idea. It was one of the most popular printers for iMacs for several years. Plus, what exactly is there to support--OS X already supports it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah...see? I didn't even play around with iPhoto...so I won't know if my Epson Stylus Color 777 work in it until I switch back to OS X...which may not be for a loooooooong time. i got more important things to do in 9.2.2.

[quote]<strong>Maybe you can sell your Agfa on eBay and go with a more reputable brand (like Sony or Canon) in the future..?</strong><hr></blockquote>

This Agfa scanner and the software that came with it is fantastic...under OS 9.2.2...and even in OS X. Right now I'll wait until I try out Photoshop for X and if the plug-in don't work then it'll be time for a new scanner. I ain't wasting time or money with OS X for now.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I meant your camera... I doubt it will ever be supported in X if Agfa doesn't get on the ball. Your scanner is supported great in OS X.. even if there is no direct TWAIN support in Photoshop (which I bet there will be), Agfa's scanner software for 9 or X is really great, and can be triggered to automatically save files as Photoshop files and even open them directly in Photoshop.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member

<strong>For some dumbass reason, iPhoto doesn't seem to support my printer (Epson Stylus Color 740/740i). Why? I have no frickin' idea. It was one of the most popular printers for iMacs for several years. Plus, what exactly is there to support--OS X already supports it.</strong><hr></blockquote>I have that printer and it's worked for me. What exactly happens when you try to print?