Best Buy to carry Apple TV at all locations

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Best Buy said Wednesday that Apple's just-released Apple TV will be available at all of its retail locations nationwide beginning next week.

A blog posting over at CNet News.com reveals that all 822 of the electronics retailer's stores should have the $299 wireless streaming media device in stock starting next Tuesday.

Although initial shipment are said to be limited 3,000 units -- which spread across more than 800 stores means there will be about five Apple TVs available at each store -- Best Buy will reportedly have a two-week head start on all other retailers.

"Though there aren't many other consumer electronics stores that sell Mac computers, this does give Best Buy an advantage over the numerous outlets that carry iPod," News.com reported.

Apple and Best Buy are engaged in an ongoing pilot program aimed at testing sales of Apple's Mac personal computer line in Best Buy stores. The two firms agreed to expand the pilot last September to approximately 50 locations, up from the original 7.

All Best Buy locations already carry Apple's line of iPod digital music players.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The more the merrier. I just hope there will be enough info on hand to explain just how this works.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    bryandbryand Posts: 78member
    3000 Apple Tvs over more than 800 units works out to less than 4 per store, not 5. Either way, they'll probably be sold out before most people even see them.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The more the merrier. I just hope there will be enough info on hand to explain just how this works.

You are assuming they have a clue?
  • Reply 4 of 55
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm looking forward to getting Reward Zone points for this thing and I'm crossing my fingers that BBY's little 12% off weekend promotions will apply to it.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

I'm assuming that Apple has a clue. It's their job to supply the literature,.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    I wonder if that means they are going to sell the HDMI to HDMI cables as well? For the price, they will send a ton of just those cables without the AppleTV.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryand View Post

3000 Apple Tvs over more than 800 units works out to less than 4 per store, not 5. Either way, they'll probably be sold out before most people even see them.

I'll look for the line of tents outside of Best Buy later today when I drive by.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

They'll be glad to let the Geek Squad charge you $90-$300 to install it, I'm sure.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

I wonder if that means they are going to sell the HDMI to HDMI cables as well? For the price, they will send a ton of just those cables without the AppleTV.

I would imagine that BB sells tons of them now. Apple should brand their own. There's a pretty penny to be made off those things.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Cool I can't wait to buy their extended warranty!
  • Reply 11 of 55
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    That seems like a slap in the face to CompUSA - who has an Apple mini-store and has for years. Unless CompUSA will have them at the same time and someone just felt like mentioning that Best Buy will have them.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

I'll look for the line of tents outside of Best Buy later today when I drive by.

Yeah, no kidding.... I think it would be better to sell them in the check-out stands at Vons than BestBuy... at least you wouldn't have to face a "know-nothing-know-it-all" trying to tell you why you need to buy something else....
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I would imagine that BB sells tons of them now. Apple should brand their own. There's a pretty penny to be made off those things.

Apple has branded their own and it's only $19.95.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=TL951LL%2FA
  • Reply 14 of 55
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I don't really understand how this thing works to be honest. I have a wireless N Linksys router but how is TV going to detect my iTunes which is running on the wired lan side of the router? The PC doesn't have its own wireless adapter.

m
  • Reply 15 of 55
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Cool. People can buy and return if the picture quality is not good enough.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't really understand how this thing works to be honest. I have a wireless N Linksys router but how is TV going to detect my iTunes which is running on the wired lan side of the router? The PC doesn't have its own wireless adapter.

m

PM me if what I say doesn't make sense... This isn't a tech thread.

Anyway, as long as it is on the same router, it should all work. But, if you have two different routers, have one act as a network bridge and the other be the router.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

PM me if what I say doesn't make sense... This isn't a tech thread.

Anyway, as long as it is on the same router, it should all work. But, if you have two different routers, have one act as a network bridge and the other be the router.

I guess I don't understand. Sorry but if the PC has no drivers to detect any of the other wireless SSIDs being broadcast around the neighborhood, how is it going to connect to TV?
  • Reply 18 of 55
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

m

It should work if it's on the same router
  • Reply 19 of 55
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

Apple has branded their own and it's only $19.95.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=TL951LL%2FA

That is a good price for a HDMI cable, most of them the I have seen are start out around $40 and top out at over $100. They can't be that different than Apple's, at least n the low end.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

I don't really understand how this thing works to be honest. I have a wireless N Linksys router but how is ?TV going to detect my iTunes which is running on the wired lan side of the router? The PC doesn't have its own wireless adapter.

m

Check out AppleTV support page. You can view or even download the manual. Tells you everything you need to know. http://www.apple.com/support/appletv/