iMac G5 20" - DVD-R Drive 2x?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I could have sworn that the DVD burner was 8x but it is only has the option of burning at 2x I am using 16x media and it's not a DVD-R DL disc so I dunno what's going on. I'm burning from the Finder but it also shows 2x as the max in Toast too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    That is the fastest it will burn DVD DL or probably DVD SL via the finder or Disk Utility as it is the apple firmware and a shitty drive brand used by apple.

Try using Toast 8.0.1 which should allow faster speeds to at least 8x for DL DVD's
  • Reply 2 of 6
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    But I'm not trying to burn DVD-R DL media, just regular DVD-R media. Both the Finder and Toast will not give me any options to burn at anything higher than 2x
  • Reply 3 of 6
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Sorry one question I forgot to ask is what brand of media are you using as this does have an affect on the speed at times?

I have the same iMac myself and can easily achieve 8x, 10x 12x and sometimes depending in the brand of media 12x max for dvds

For CDs the brand still makes a difference for me.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

Sorry one question I forgot to ask is what brand of media are you using as this does have an affect on the speed at times?

I have the same iMac myself and can easily achieve 8x, 10x 12x and sometimes depending in the brand of media 12x max for dvds

For CDs the brand still makes a difference for me.

I am using TDK media. What app are you using to get 12x burn speeds on DVDs?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    The iMac only got up to an 8X Superdrive, so whatever software you have must be deceiving you.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

The iMac only got up to an 8X Superdrive, so whatever software you have must be deceiving you.

Yeah exactly. What kind of Mac do you have rob05au?