DigiTimes: Apple may delay Leopard release till October

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Reason for Edit: Apparently, my grammar needs some improvement.

With new items like this appearing in the new wires this lunch time, do you think there is any plausibility in them?

http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftwar...pe=allchandate

I have to admit though . . . why would it not already be able to support Vista? Vista has been about for while in terms of Beta / pre-release development versions . . . so i would have thought they would have had plenty of time to be able to cope with the final Vista release.

Seems like a semi-plausible comment / excuse to put as the reason behind having to move out the release date of Leopard which already was looking to not make April anyhow ( from reading some of the other threads on here )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple Inc. may postpone the launch of its next-generation Leopard operating system in order to bolster dual boot support for rival Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Vista operating system, DigiTimes reported on its website on Friday.

The Taiwanese trade publication cited "industry sources" in saying the launch delay is not due to software design problems with Leopard but instead is attributed to Apple's plan to have its new OS support Windows Vista through an integrated version of Boot Camp.

"Boot Camp is an Apple software application that currently assists in the installation of Windows XP on computers using Apple's latest OS," the publication said. "The company hopes with support for Vista, Mac computers using the new OS can grab more market share, according to the sources."

DigiTimes, whose accuracy in predicting Apple's future directions is mediocre at best, cited its sources in saying that if Leopard supports only Windows XP, then the chances of the new OS attracting Windows users to buy an Apple computer decreases.

For its part, Apple has maintained that it is on track to ship Leopard "this Spring." However, recent developer releases have raised suspicion over whether the Cupertino-based company will be able to meet that self-imposed deadline, as a number of critical issues reportedly remain in the software.

Apple has also stated that it holds some "top secret" Leopard features at bay, which haven't been exposed to widespread testing. It's widely believed that the company would first have to introduce those secret functionalities in developer builds before calling development of Leopard a wrap.

AppleInsider reiterates that DigiTimes' coverage of Apple has been historically inaccurate and therefore its reports should be taken with a grain of salt. Of note, however, the publication's recent predictions that Apple would use LED-backlit displays in its next-generation MacBook Pro line is believed to be accurate.
  • Reply 2 of 100
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    I thought Apple said that BootCamp will become a stand-alone product when it finally emerges from beta. Perhaps someone heard that BootCamp will be delayed until October and assumed it meant the entire OS would be put on hold as well.

Then again, given the less-than-promising reports of the quality of recent Leopard builds, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was delayed until the summer or later.
  • Reply 3 of 100
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    A delay until October just for Vista seems rather suspicious to me. That Leopard could be delayed for several other reasons, this I can believe.

At this point a definite postponing of Leopard seems more and more likely. I don't remember in previous OS X releases so many delay hints 2-3 months before the supposed launch of the major OS update. Someone to refresh my memory?
  • Reply 4 of 100
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    First to exclaim FUD!

such BS.
  • Reply 5 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

First to exclaim FUD!

such BS.

Yep - doesn't make sense at all!

• Reply 6 of 100
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    I also call BS. I don't run Vista myself, but I thought Vista support was already a part of Boot Camp beta. If not, I don't see Apple putting off Leopard just for that reason. Instead, I think they would just say that Vista support is coming and update Boot Camp when it is ready. I, for one, would be a little pissy at Apple if they delayed Leopard for Vista users. Screw Vista users.
  • Reply 7 of 100
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I think it will be deayed but for other reasons. It just ain't gonna be ready.
  • Reply 8 of 100
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Could we have the two threads merged please?
  • Reply 9 of 100
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Apple MIGHT do some kind of virtualized "Boot" Camp someday, at a strategic moment--two OS's running at ONCE (if that's what "integrated" means) is very nice--but they sure as heck wouldn't delay their own OS for it. They'd add it later.

Knowing how rumors get mis-repeated, maybe the truth is that this is one of the secret Leopard features, and that this FEATURE will be delayed until the fall. Not the whole OS. Leopard isn't ready now and won't be ready next month I'd say, but October? No.

Or there could well be no basis at all for this report.
  • Reply 10 of 100
    Vista is not currently supported by Boot Camp, some have gotten it to work, but drivers are still not quite there. It works ok in Parallels I guess, but since there are few AutoDesk Apps that even run in Vista, I haven't tried any of it.

The only part that surprises me on that is the fact that they are going to have to run a lot of patches to support the iPhone on the current OS, just to get by until Leopard. I'm not really too upset by it, the current OS has been fine for me, can't really ask for much more in my opinion.
  • Reply 11 of 100
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    That makes absolutely no sense. It would mean Apple would spur Vista sales. Steve doesn't gives a rat's arse about Vista sales. If there is a delay, it will be for other reasons. And remember, Spring just started, so Apple has more than 80 days to deliver.
  • Reply 12 of 100
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    For the last time, Developer Builds are not Beta Builds.

And I thought Boot Camp already supported Vista.... ? Either way Apple won't delay their products just to make it compatible with Microsoft's latest and greatest <strike>downgrade</strike> product.

There is a reason DigiTimes makes mediocre predictions at best.

Sebastian
  • Reply 13 of 100
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    the has to be one of the most stupid rumors ever! sure, apple will delay launching a great product to be more compatible with a terrible one? vista is a bunch of cr**, and more and more reviews are stating that fact.

if this turns out to be true, i will switch over to ubuntu linux and sell my macs.

-----------------

the count

http://thecountsworld.blogspot.com/
  • Reply 14 of 100
    d4v1dd4v1d Posts: 3member
    As if Apple would delay their next gen OS just so Windows Vista would work with boot camp. Pointless "news" again from digitimes...
  • Reply 15 of 100
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    This was one of two FUD pieces to come out today.

In pre-market trading it had aapl down more than a buck, but it seems investors are starting to pick FUD out and discard it far better as of late because the stock recovered.

I am not sure if anyone has seen the cramer video- he explains how he'd mess with aapl by releasing bad news to dumb sources who love to regurgitate it .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B7VUBPwIhHs

Anyways- apple opens it's stock up to this kind of stuff due to their secretive approach to their products.

That's why I hope the stock doesn't split- nothing worse than making a stock cheaper to open it up to more manipulation.
  • Reply 16 of 100
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    Fake. WWDC is in June, and the Leopard sessions are planned in.
  • Reply 17 of 100
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    This makes no sense at all. Apple can sell far more Macs when they start shipping with Leopard so there's no reason to delay the whole new OS just because of an issue with Boot Camp and Vista. A simple system update can be issued later once the BC/Vista bugs are worked out. It isn't as if there's a great surge of interest in Vista anyway.

I think Apple will have Leopard ready to roar by WWDC at the very latest, though I'd be happier with mid-May.
  • Reply 18 of 100
    catman4d2catman4d2 Posts: 174member
    Their once was a man from Nantucket...........

• Reply 19 of 100
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    This is rubbish. WWDC.
  • Reply 20 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Apple MIGHT do some kind of virtualized "Boot" Camp someday, at a strategic moment--two OS's running at ONCE (if that's what "integrated" means) is very nice--but they sure as heck wouldn't delay their own OS for it. They'd add it later.

Knowing how rumors get mis-repeated, maybe the truth is that this is one of the secret Leopard features, and that this FEATURE will be delayed until the fall. Not the whole OS. Leopard isn't ready now and won't be ready next month I'd say, but October? No.

Or there could well be no basis at all for this report.

then they better come out with a mac that uses lower cost ram then FB-DIMMS as there will need a lot of RAM at least 1-2 gb just for vista.