Apple TV: not that great

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
From what I hear, Apple TV isn't that cool. Here is why:

1) It only works with hi-def tvs. If you dont have a hi-def tv, go get a vcr.

2) It's like a macmini....only less. It costs a little less, but has a tiny tiny HD and less capabilities. If I had a macmini, I could just rip all my movies to my hd.

3) Networking isnt anything special: It's easier to sync my appletv or to stream movies or something...but it wasn't hard to do that in the first place on my home network.

4) I can't record tv. I have a dvr, and a dvd player, and a stereo receiver, and an Xbox hooked up to my tv. I don't need another box unless it's going to replace two of those.

5) I can only use this if I previously own a mac. I love mac stuff, but this is for the avid mac user and not the average tv watcher. The market segment that Atv is going for is very small.

If I'm going to buy Apple TV, I want it to control my tv not just be another way for me to watch my movies. This device will either disappear or add a ton of other features in the next 2 years. 1g customers, the joke is on you. Get a mac mini instead.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blingem View Post

1) It only works with hi-def tvs. If you dont have a hi-def tv, go get a vcr.

It works with non-HD TVs if they take Component in.

Quote:

2) It's like a macmini....only less. It costs a little less, but has a tiny tiny HD and less capabilities. If I had a macmini, I could just rip all my movies to my hd.

Only a Mac mini has poorer quality video playback and uses significantly more power. And costs 2-3x as much. And requires a lot of hacking to work. And still doesn't ever do as much or work as well.

Quote:

3) Networking isnt anything special: It's easier to sync my appletv or to stream movies or something...but it wasn't hard to do that in the first place on my home network.

It's possible to sync, which isn't possible with a Mac mini or other device.

It doesn't matter that other devices can "network." That's not easy.

Quote:

4) I can't record tv. I have a dvr, and a dvd player, and a stereo receiver, and an Xbox hooked up to my tv. I don't need another box unless it's going to replace two of those.

You have a DVR, so you don't need a device to duplicate that functionality. Those that want DVR will be excellently served with an El Gato EyeTV.

To record and encode TV, it would need an HD tuner ($100+) and an HD encoding chip ($120+), which would double the price and be entirely useless?it's a media extender, not a DVR. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a DVR when all I want is a media extender, which the AppleTV is priced perfectly for.

Quote:

5) I can only use this if I previously own a mac. I love mac stuff, but this is for the avid mac user and not the average tv watcher. The market segment that Atv is going for is very small.

It works with PCs too.

Quote:

If I'm going to buy Apple TV, I want it to control my tv not just be another way for me to watch my movies. This device will either disappear or add a ton of other features in the next 2 years. 1g customers, the joke is on you. Get a mac mini instead.

How exactly would it control your TV?

Lots of crazies suggest stupid things it should do, like "be a DVR," or mysteriously and pointlessly "have more power." But this is the dumbest yet. "Control my TV?" Does that even mean anything?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blingem View Post

1) It only works with hi-def tvs.

Wrong, your TV merely needs to have component in.

Quote:

If you dont have a hi-def tv, go get a vcr.

A VCR is a completely unrelated device. It records content off TV. Apple TV takes content you already have and puts it on TV.

Quote:

2) It's like a macmini....only less. It costs a little less,

It costs half.

Quote:

3) Networking isnt anything special

Of course networking isn't anything special. You can't take a single feature and claim "oh, well, that's not all that special". If you were to do that, no product at all would be of interest. "Oh, the iPod nano has as screen; how is that anything special?"

Quote:

So?*don't buy it? You either have a need for it or you don't. You say you don't. Don't buy it then. Other people do have a need for it.

Quote:

5) I can only use this if I previously own a mac.

Wrong. It works with iTunes on Windows.

Quote:

If I'm going to buy Apple TV, I want it to control my tv

Then you want a wholly different kind of device.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Right now I share the opinion that it is a very weak product.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    I actually think the AppleTV is a good start. However, I am going to probably wait until revision b to escape dealing with any hardware/software glitches that might surface.

However, those who complain about the AppleTV not being a DVR or controlling their TV are missing the complete point of this device. My DVR is built-in to my cable box and handles the controlling of live TV content fine. Don't really need the AppleTV to replace it. I also have a nice DVD player that upconverts my DVDs to near HD-quality. Don't need the AppleTV to replace this.

What I do need is some way to get the content (photos, home movies, music, videos from iTunes (purchased or ripped) to my TV. The AppleTV is made to do this perfectly. It's just another device to add to my entertainment system.

When you go out to buy a DVD player, do you complain that it doesn't come with a built-in DVR or no ability to stream music from your computer, etc? No, you are buying it to play a DVD and are looking for a device that excels as such a task.

While integrating a DVD player and DVR system into the AppleTV might make it more attractive, it has these downsides...

1. Device will be more expensive. Other devices might be cheaper, but Apple will always price their hardware so they make money instead of just breaking even.

2. Will still not make everyone happy. If Apple added a DVD player, it would offer very simple playback. Forget about HD upconversion or other features that DVD players include. Same goes for DVR. It would only include basic abilities and not be anywhere near as functional as what TiVo or cable/satellite companies offer.

In the end, you would end up with an over-priced, underpowered machine that people would still not be happy about.

This is the age-old problem of trying to do too much at once and not doing anything well at all. Perhaps Apple might offer these features in the future, but it's best to take small steps and make sure they do the best of what they currently offer. This is what they did for the iPod. Their core feature is the ability to playback computer content. This is what they are building on.

I think the problem is that the market wants ONE device to do everything and they all were disappointed when they realized the AppleTV wouldn't (even though they never marketed it this way).
  • Reply 5 of 21
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I have an opinion about the AppleTV. I think I'll start a new thread.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I have an opinion about the AppleTV. I think I'll start a new thread.

It's the hip? new thing to do.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Apple TV = Apple HiFi Part Two

It will be the hot thing for a few months..but in 60 days, they will be cleaning off the tumble weeds.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Listening to my music over my Apple TV today while watching very high-res versions of my entire iPhoto library float by; then transitioning into wathing "The Rookie", a movie I love but don't own, courtesy of iTunes, followed by calling up "Cars" before my daughter went to bed demonstrated the real value of Apple TV in practical use. Sure, you can bitch about the lack of supported codecs, or whatever, but it's pure Apple in clean simplicity and usefulness.

I expect we'll have Photo streaming and straight from Apple TV (still downloaded to your PC) movie/tv/music purchases soon, which will only make things better.

I'm impressed so far, and that surprises me because I was part of the critical crew before this little thing arrived.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

Apple TV = Apple HiFi Part Two

It will be the hot thing for a few months..but in 60 days, they will be cleaning off the tumble weeds.

Just like the iPod, and OS X, and the iPhone, and wait...

Apple HiFi was in a product category that had existed since the '80s.

AppleTV is the future. Judging by people's reactions it's clearly a bit ahead of its time, but HD-DVD and Blu-ray are going the way of the LaserDisc. 10 years from now, people will download all their songs and movies. Apple just got there first.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

Right now I share the opinion that it is a very weak product.

True, it cannot bench 300 lbs or clean-and-jerk 550 lbs.

You know Gee-Rat, it would be helpful when you make such statements that you state your reasons. It might among other things help your street cred on this forum.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Someone will always complain about any product that comes out, simply because a product isn't for everyone and some people just like complaining.

For goodness sake, Apple could produce a TV-recording, net-surfing, computer to TV presenting, TV-controlling 3 million channel-viewing 27 TB device which they sold for $3 and someone would say it wasn't enough to waste their time over.

It is a start, and a version 2 will be lots better. Let's see what they do with this.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Unfortunately, Apple didn't release a TV-recording, net-surfing, ... for $3. They released Appletv for $299 which iTunes movies (Incredibles and Battlestar Galactica) looks terrible on the TV. I could not in good conscience leave the movie playing because I felt sorry for the Sony TV. I thought they were going to blame me for what was on the TV. I flipped over to the photos which did look good.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    The video being sold right now might not be ready for HD, but I'm sure their is HD content available now. However, those with smaller TVs might not experience the same low quality, but that's another discussion.

Music, photos, and home movies will probably look good on this thing.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    lotharsnllotharsnl Posts: 113member
    I purchased an AppleTV for my grandmother. I am very impressed at how quickly she picked up the navigation, and use. It's a real thrill for her to view photos of her first great-granddaughter when we visit, which we normally do by handing her the laptops. I only mention this because my intention was to allow us to stream pictures to her TV, without being synced. Unfortunately, for the time being it seems, that can't be done (Outside of the main computer, which is downstairs, and usually locked in an office). She does seem excited to be able to have movies purchased without anyone having to go "out of their way" to pick them up for her.

I hope that we can stream pictures from non-synced computers eventually, but in true Apple fashion, this product seems to work well, and be very simple.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    i have an opinion and cant be bothered to do the smallest amount of research on the topic ... ie go look at the apple TV page on Apples website to see that it DOES do the things i "hear" it doesnt.

i think i'll start a new thread...

part of the rules here state you shouldnt really be rude to other posters... but if they insult your intelligence by posting waffle... cant we bend the rules a BIT?

funny, but the word GONK comes to mind
  • Reply 16 of 21
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Reasons I think the AppleTV is a weak product.

- No optical media support at all.

- No live TV support at all.

- Based on what I saw at the Apple Store in Houston yesterday, it doesn’t even put out a nice-looking picture. This was absolutely pathetic and it actually embarrassed me that I was standing there watching it.

It can (and hopefully will) be a stronger product in the future.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Only a Mac mini has poorer quality video playback and uses significantly more power. And costs 2-3x as much. And requires a lot of hacking to work. And still doesn't ever do as much or work as well.

This is untrue, The Mini has DVI, so the picture will be identical to that of the hdmi. The mini will support HD up to full 1080i, while I believe the TV tops out on HD at 720p. Making the Mini the better choice for high-quality HD playback.

The also Mini doubles as a DVD player, a Divx player and a surfstation, so all in all the extra money may be well worth it if you want more out of your livingroom giant flat-screen.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    blingemblingem Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

i have an opinion and cant be bothered to do the smallest amount of research on the topic ... ie go look at the apple TV page on Apples website to see that it DOES do the things i "hear" it doesnt.

i think i'll start a new thread...

part of the rules here state you shouldnt really be rude to other posters... but if they insult your intelligence by posting waffle... cant we bend the rules a BIT?

funny, but the word GONK comes to mind

My post was about the general atv discussion, and my personal opinion. Diss the post, but not the poster. And until this time, there wasn't a thread about whether apple tv is bad, at least that I saw while scanning the forum.

And I second the last poster that DVI makes the mini a better option. But the other argument, that downloads will replace blu-ray or hd dvd, I say yeah right. Laserdisc is the worst analogy ever. How about you compare the new dvd format to the old dvd format, a much more realistic example. People still want a physical thing they can put in their player, or buy, or rent at the video store. You'll never get rid of the physical discs entirely.

Like I said, this will be cooly received because most people dont want to plug another box into their tv. Replace my old dvd player or my tivo and i'll think about it. Right now I just burn all my movies and content onto dvds and walk them across my house, and that works out alright.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by New View Post

This is untrue, The Mini has DVI, so the picture will be identical to that of the hdmi. The mini will support HD up to full 1080i, while I believe the TV tops out on HD at 720p. Making the Mini the better choice for high-quality HD playback.

The also Mini doubles as a DVD player, a Divx player and a surfstation, so all in all the extra money may be well worth it if you want more out of your livingroom giant flat-screen.

The algorithms in the NVIDA 7300/7400 (whichever the AppleTV uses) are significantly better than the QuickTime algorithms on the mini.

Additionally, the mini requires extra third-party software to set the screen resolution to the proper 720/1080, at least for right now.

For most people interested in an Apple TV, they already have a DVD player and a computer, making the extras on the mini completely useless. Apple TV has also already been hacked to play DivX and at least launch Firefox.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

The algorithms in the NVIDA 7300/7400 (whichever the AppleTV uses) are significantly better than the QuickTime algorithms on the mini.

Since the Apple TV ships with QuickTime, as evidenced by Perian working, your assumption that Apple uses the Go7300's decoding (even though they don't use the GMA 950's, the X1600's, or that of any other GPU on any Intel Mac, for that matter) is quite a stretch. Not impossible, but still a stretch.