Briefly: Apple says Leopard won't be delayed

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Carve out another notch in the loss column for Taiwanese-based DigiTimes, which on Friday reported that Apple's next-generation Leopard operating system would be delayed till October.

Jupiter Research analyst Michael Gartenberg later spoke to Apple regarding the matter and was told the report is incorrect.

"Just spoke with Apple who confirmed the reports are wrong and Leopard is still scheduled to ship in this spring as they previously announced," the analyst wrote on his blog site.

"The rumor mill is wrong again."

DigiTimes had said that Apple would push Leopard's release out till October in order to bolster dual boot support for rival Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Vista operating system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Carve out another notch in the loss column for Taiwanese DigiTimes,

AppleInsider todo list:

1. Install Digitimes content filter.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Quote:

Carve out another notch in the loss column for Taiwanese DigiTimes, which on Friday reported that Apple's next-generation Leopard operating system would be delayed till October.

Jupiter Research analyst Michael Gartenberg later spoke to Apple regarding the matter and was told the report is incorrect.

"Just spoke with Apple who confirmed the reports are wrong and Leopard is still scheduled to ship in this spring as they previously announced," the analyst wrote on his blog site.

DigiTimes had said that Apple would push Leopard's release out till October in order to bolster dual boot support for rival Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Vista operating system.

If the story..is true....then..it will coming with Mac Pro Onto core..?????
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryderpat06 View Post

If the story..is true....then..it will coming with Mac Pro Onto core..?????

you should try retyping this one...
  • Reply 4 of 45
    The original story obviously meant that Leopard would come out with an Octo-core-Mac-Pro, not come out in Octo---ber!
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Remember there were rumors about the delaying of appleTV or the airport express (I forget which one), and later, apple jumped out claiming no delay... and later, the product did delay.

Well, you can never trust apple's statement about those thing, the information could be interpreted as apple will try its best to meet the late spring deadline, but whether they could do it remains unclear.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    The same Apple that said Apple TV wasn't going to be delayed until the day it was supposed to ship and then delayed it 3 weeks?
  • Reply 7 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I'm not familiar with the Leopard builds so far but I do hope they find enough time to fix my two complaints. Both of which have been around since forever!

1. When you make a zip archive, it includes extra hidden files and folders which is embarassing when you have to send them to your Windows or Linux associates.

2. When you are logged onto a Windows or Linux network and you are waiting for a file to show up but it doesn't for a few minutes even though it is really there. Where is the "Refresh File List" selection?

m

Oh and 3. can we just get rid of the crazy Apple line returns and use unicode CR LF like the other popular OSs do, it would solve a lot of incompatibility issues for me at least.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

The same Apple that said Apple TV wasn't going to be delayed until the day it was supposed to ship and then delayed it 3 weeks?

But it did come in the first quarter as Steve first said. And again, I would hope that our troops in Iraq could only be just delayed 3 weeks before coming home.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    Quote:

The rumor mill is always right and the rumor mill is always wrong.

So many rumors are always floating around, most are bound to be wrong and one is bound to be right at all times for all subjects.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm not familiar with the Leopard builds so far but I do hope they find enough time to fix my two complaints. Both of which have been around since forever!

1. When you make a zip archive, it includes extra hidden files and folders which is embarassing when you have to send them to your Windows or Linux associates.

2. When you are logged onto a Windows or Linux network and you are waiting for a file to show up but it doesn't for a few minutes even though it is really there. Where is the "Refresh File List" selection?

Still prevalent in Leopard builds.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    dont think that this can be construed as an official statement. and anyway, anything can be sped up or delayed at any time, so who cares. my only beef is that apple can't find time to give us loyal users an 'official' update once in a while. is this really asking for too much?

----------

the count

http://thecountsworld.blogspot.com/

PS: more hypothetical stupid digitimes rumors

- jobs seen with gates holding hands

- vista totally unhackable says top russian hacker

- commodore 64 used to create cold fusion
  • Reply 12 of 45
    xoloxxolox Posts: 5member
    Does it really matter if it takes a few more weeks or months? I know there is the competiton with M$, etc., but probably makes no difference in the end? Sales are good from what I'm hearing, and the current Tiger is outstading.

If Mac sales start to drop (with buyers waiting on anticipation of an update), then you will see Leopard released in its current form. If not, expect some potential delays to finalize the product, which could be a good thing that brings more features and stability too. Maybe I am wrong on all of this.

I wonder how people would have reacted back in the mid 1900's if there was a product delay before an impending release of a updated typewriter with new features such as "better correction methods".
  • Reply 13 of 45
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

What's even more embarrassing is when you zip up those files, send them to a Mac associate, and they don't work. Those hidden files are necessary for basic operation in some cases, and are there solely because Windows and Linux filesystems (generally) do not handle multi-fork files. While there are multi-fork filesystems out there for both, their use is spotty, and you can't rely on them to be at the other end. .zip is a lowest-common-denominator solution, so more advanced features have workarounds. Now, if Windows and Linux would universally adopt filesystems with multi-fork capabilities, it wouldn't be necessary. They may laugh at you, but the joke's on them.

It would be possible to create non-MacOS X oriented .zip files, but you'd have to tell the computer that was the case so it could strip them out. Here are some solutions: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=288072 and also http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...ip%2B.DS_Store

Quote:

Apple's general position has been that, if you put a manual button in for the user, then the developer's will never try and fix the problem on the back end. "Oh, just let the user do it." It's better in the long run to have a working dynamic system on the back end. File a bug report with Apple, let them know that this is just plain broken.

Try clicking in the view where you expect the file to show up, that will often force it to notice a new file.

Quote:

Oh and 3. can we just get rid of the crazy Apple line returns and use unicode CR LF like the other popular OSs do, it would solve a lot of incompatibility issues for me at least.

The only OS to use CR *and* LF is Windows. Unix systems use LF. All of them. It isn't an Apple crazy anything, it is the *correct* EOL, by definition, in the original ASCII layout. They actually got it right this time, Macs used to use CR. MacOS X flipped it to LF. Windows remains the incorrect one.

What incompatibility issues are you seeing? I haven't had an issue with this in a long, long time.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

Yeah. I think it was pretty obvious to anyone reasonable that Leopard was still going to ship in the spring (likely June, along with the iPhone) and that Vista support, if not in the initial release, would be added later as needed. Apple would be nuts to delay Leopard significantly over anything except major bugs and/or major security issues.

Still, not all 'rumors' are wrong. ThinkSecret has a pretty good track record of busting accurate info a week or few days before official Apple announcements. It's the stuff like this that's several months out that tends to be wrong.

• Reply 15 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

…my only beef is that apple can't find time to give us loyal users an 'official' update once in a while. is this really asking for too much?

Didn't the VP confirm the date a couple of weeks ago.

Anyhow, consider the possible consequences:

1. How do you identify 'loyal users' Certainly there are many who claim to be, but unfortunately there are many who partake in these forums that would't be on my list.

2. How would you address your responsibilities to your shareholders? The SEC and certain shareholder groups would jump all over you if you were selective, missed a confirmed delivery date, introduced early or late…or anything else that could effect share prices.

3. Marketing is like planning a war. Why give the enemy a legs up on what, when and how you are going to do things?

4. To what advantage is it to you to know the exact date and time anyway? Are you planning your holidays or a wedding around it.?

5. How is it that Microsoft is 4-5 years late, but Apple gets as much flack when it comes in 3 weeks late?

6. Apple has stated a number of times that Leopard is planned for introduction in the Spring of 2007. As such, they are not late if it doesn't come out before the summer solstice. In fact, it could be said that it wouldn't late if it did indeed it didn't come until July or beyond. Afterall, 'planning for introduction" doesn't necessarily mean the same as 'date of introduction'.

8. Haven't you been late for school or work, handing in an assignment, picking up a date, getting home for dinner, making a payment…? And didn't it irk you a bit when you get a continuous barrage of, "At least you could have called and told me." So have you, or was it too much to ask for?
  • Reply 16 of 45
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    As a longtime Mac proponent, it's hard not to think that Apple is just messing around with its userbase with Leopard.

We're at the end of MARCH, for a software ship date of "Spring 2007".

Surely all those "secret" features are confirmed for release by now. It's too late for Redmond to photocopy them for Vista. So why hasn't Apple held a Media event to announce Leopard?

Look, I don't care even if Leopard ships in November. Apple should take the time and get it right.

But that's no reason to leave your userbase hanging because you want to keep everything secret and suspenseful until the very end. Apple's not "beleaguered" anymore.

In such a breakthrough year, with the Intel transition over and new CS3 debut, is it really too much to ask that those of us managing corporate budgeting at Mac-based shops be given a bit of a roadmap?
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

In such a breakthrough year, with the Intel transition over and new CS3 debut, is it really too much to ask that those of us managing corporate budgeting at Mac-based shops be given a bit of a roadmap?

It is only the first week of Spring.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Ayup. Spring is March 21-June 21 in the Northern Hemisphere. More relevantly, the Spring financial quarter is Apr-June.

Frank777, March isn't the end of spring, it's the start.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:

DropStuff (part of the Stuffit suite of apps) gives you a preference to "Preserve Macintosh content" when you zip a file. Un-checking this option will remove all of the extra Mac specific files (.DS_Stores, _MACOSX folders and so on).

However, as Kickaha points out you can easily end up screwing up your files doing this because you are forcibly removing data from them.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    thebumthebum Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

AppleInsider todo list:

1. Install Digitimes content filter.

I agree. One thing that can be said about Digitimes: they're at least consistent...consistently wrong. Someone else that needs filtering-out is Shawn Wu (an "analyst"), who's correct about as often as Digitimes.