I'm in New York.

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
It's as cool as fuck.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Indeed it is.

How long are you in town? I'd grab a beer witcha, but I just skipped outta town for a conference.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Cool. What do you plan on doing?

I'm nearby in Montana, why don't you stop by?
  • Reply 3 of 33
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I'm California. Just grab Al Gore's private jet and swing on over. We all do this because... hey, it's carbon neutral.

Make sure to wear your iPod on the subway so you can get to know the local folks.

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 33
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

It's as cool as fuck.

What in particular about New York appeals to you, Hassan, if you don't mind my asking?

I guess I'm always taken aback these days when I hear 'anyone' from Europe saying something nice about America.

I apparently became permanently scarred and mortified by the hostility I (simply as 'an American') experienced a few years ago, when I spent some time on various BBC international discussion boards.

I was truly shocked at how many Brits absolutely loathed America and Americans.

So, that's why I'm asking just what it is you like about New York.

Thanks in advance for a reply.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Well, Carol, New York rules.

I live in London, which is thin on hope and manners. New York has plenty of each. And the architectures great, and the drinks are stronger. And it sort of rocks.

My ex is 'Merican, and I've seen a lot of the America that many Euro-types I suppose don't (although I've only seen the coasts...)
  • Reply 6 of 33
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

It's as cool as fuck.

Have fun there! I love New York... but sad that CBGBs closed down...
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I'm California. Just grab Al Gore's private jet and swing on over. We all do this because... hey, it's carbon neutral.

Make sure to wear your iPod on the subway so you can get to know the local folks.

Nick

I'm on my way. I have to drop by Montana first.

BRussell, which metro stop is Montana on?
  • Reply 8 of 33
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    You'll need to take the PATH and change in Hoboken.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Hehehe. I remember those boards....

• Reply 10 of 33
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Dude. You're only like 90 miles away and you fail to bring a fruit cake?
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Well, Carol, New York rules.

Yay!!!

Quote:

I live in London, which is thin on hope and manners. New York has plenty of each.

It's really ironic that you say that, Hassan, because we in the rest of the country generally think of New Yorkers (the ones in NYC, I mean) as incredibly rude. To us, they are the paragon of rudeness. heh

Ah, but the *hope* thing. Yes, we Americans 'do' have plenty of hope. Our nation was founded on it, and it's like the very 'blood' that courses through our veins. I honestly think our hope, optimism, and can-do attitudes are the best parts of what it means to be an American.

Quote:

And the architectures great,

But how could it possibly compare to those fascinating old London buildings, from four and five hundred years ago - and even much, much older?

Quote:

...and the drinks are stronger.

Now 'this' amazes me. I thought Brits were always talking about how American drinks were like watered-down horse pi$$. But maybe they were just referring to American 'beer', which IS pretty awful, and not our hard-liquor drinks?

Quote:

And it sort of rocks.

I am very happy to hear this. Maybe I'll have to visit New York too.

Quote:

My ex is 'Merican, and I've seen a lot of the America that many Euro-types I suppose don't (although I've only seen the coasts...)

Ah, but the coasts are the 'best', in some ways. If you spend much time on the *Oregon* coast, Hassan... you'll never go back home.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    NYC denizens are not rude at all. The suburbanites are...
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Well, not the beer, I mean the cocktails and the long drinks. Our measures are pitiful. In America they drink long drinks so you can taste the spirits, which is how they should be made.

Billybobsky. I bought your fruitcake. Just like I promised.

I'm at a dinner party in a loft in Brooklyn eating nice food and drinking nice wine, and everyone's friendly and doing interesting stuff. I think I could live in NY... although all my work's in Europe.

HELLO!
  • Reply 14 of 33
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Though I know NYC has some charms, I feel that since they banned smoking, dancing, trans-fats, "the N-word", aluminum baseball bats, ipods, ferrets and anythfuckingthingelse ...New York City can go fuck itself.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Damn Google says 1 day 10 hours to get from NYC to Montana by car. Hassan you could swing it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carol A View Post

Ah, but the *hope* thing. Yes, we Americans 'do' have plenty of hope. Our nation was founded on it, and it's like the very 'blood' that courses through our veins. I honestly think our hope, optimism, and can-do attitudes are the best parts of what it means to be an American.

I doubt we have as greatly unified a cultural identity as you suggest. There's a great split even on the "can do" work-ethic attitude you're talking about-- between more of a collaborative and an individual spirit. Some people believe in pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps, while others believe they are their brothers' keeper. The point is, I think our strength lies our nation's diversity, not in wrongly ascribing generalizations about our culture when we wildly differ on those points.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

NYC denizens are not rude at all. The suburbanites are...

Hey now! Watch it you piece of sh1t stereotyper. Not all of us are rude, so back off!!

( )
  • Reply 17 of 33
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yeah, what the fuck? Damned cityfolk.

Jeez, Hassan, if you'd given us a little warning, we could have had an AI NYC meetup and gotten you mugged *right*.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Damn Google says 1 day 10 hours to get from NYC to Montana by car. Hassan you could swing it.

Probably not. He might have an accident driving on the wrong side of the road.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Yeah, what the fuck? Damned cityfolk.

Jeez, Hassan, if you'd given us a little warning, we could have had an AI NYC meetup and gotten you mugged *right*.

Just calling it as I see it... It's the same in all of the big cities I have been in... The merge between enough space for lawns and highish population density makes for rude rude people.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Dude, I'm in Westchestah. Believe me, I agree with you. So... nyeah.