I Want My NEW MACBOOK PRO!

Comments

• Reply 81 of 104
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

I'm aware that there isn't much space in the current MBP's. I'm holding out for a complete case redesign. The current look is dated and I'm hoping that a new design will emerge about the same time as Leopard....A complete redesign would probably address these issues. I'm hoping for far more capacity than currently offered.

I agree, a redesign is due and I'm tired of waiting.
  • Reply 82 of 104
    Quote:

I'm aware that there isn't much space in the current MBP's. I'm holding out for a complete case redesign. The current look is dated and I'm hoping that a new design will emerge about the same time as Leopard....A complete redesign would probably address these issues. I'm hoping for far more capacity than currently offered.

• Reply 83 of 104
    Quote:

I'm aware that there isn't much space in the current MBP's. I'm holding out for a complete case redesign. The current look is dated and I'm hoping that a new design will emerge about the same time as Leopard. It's in this new MBP that I'd like to see the second hard drive, or inclusion of the Fujitsu 300GB 2.5" drive.

The limitations that most directly impact me while traveling are the lack of HD space (I've got a rather snug 17GB remaining on mine), and graphics card performance. I hope we'll get NVidia cards in the new MBP's as an optional build.

A complete redesign would probably address these issues. I'm hoping for far more capacity than currently offered.

I don't agree that the look is dated - however you see it, I don't care how it looks as long as they maintain the function-first mindset. This may be a contradiction, but ever since the TiBook, I have appreciated Apple's simplistic look. What I see is what I need - nothing more.

Mostly, though, I agree that 300GB is essential at this point. My 80GB, huge by yesterday's standards, is now 90 percent full even though I don't edit movies. It's just that upwards of 5 years of digital photographs adds up.

(I remember how proud I was when my new computer had a 65MB hard drive in it. I thought I'd never fill it up. Then King's Quest V came out, and it shipped on 10 3.5" floppies - things were never the same again!)
  • Reply 84 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

What areyou expecting out of a redesign? I highly doubt they are going to change the look much. The Macbook was a brand new design and looks just like a Macbook Pro, only it is made of plastic and doesnt have a screen latch.

The only thing I am expecting is maybe a different color, a different keyboard (ala Macbook), and a magnetic latch. Everything else is going to remain relatively the same.
  • Reply 85 of 104
    nakkinakki Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

however you see it, I don't care how it looks as long as they maintain the function-first mindset.

What? Function first isn't what Apple is going for first. I'm about to switch to Macs and I love them, mut the most difficult part for me in switching is the functionality I will lose. Macs are desingned beautifully, but desing and cool looks definitely go first before functionality. In PC world you can find really well designed laptops that are great and ergonomic to use, but don't look too good. In Apple world you can find absolutely beautiful laptops, but they don't feel like tools.

A tool is first designed to function well and ergonomically, second to lood good. e.g. having the touchpad in the center looks better, but is not as ergonomic in a long term use as a touchpad placed in the side, that is in the middle of hands when touch typing.

I think good looks go first and ergonomics second with Apple.

I would hope they changed that. I want a Mac as my next computer, becuse of the OS, but I also want a tool that I can use 8 hours a day with comfort. I hope they would change their desing philosphy. I don't really care how a laptop looks like after a few weeks of getting used to it. It's just a tool.
  • Reply 86 of 104
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nakki View Post

What? Function first isn't what Apple is going for first. I'm about to switch to Macs and I love them, mut the most difficult part for me in switching is the functionality I will lose. Macs are desingned beautifully, but desing and cool looks definitely go first before functionality. In PC world you can find really well designed laptops that are great and ergonomic to use, but don't look too good. In Apple world you can find absolutely beautiful laptops, but they don't feel like tools.

A tool is first designed to function well and ergonomically, second to lood good. e.g. having the touchpad in the center looks better, but is not as ergonomic in a long term use as a touchpad placed in the side, that is in the middle of hands when touch typing.

I would hope they changed that. I want a Mac as my next computer, becuse of the OS, but I also want a tool that I can use 8 hours a day with comfort. I hope they would change their desing philosphy. I don't really care how a laptop looks like after a few weeks of getting used to it. It's just a tool.

I'd have to disagree I'm afraid. I 'switched' last year and I find my MacBook Pro far more functional than any Toshiba or Sony Vaio that I have owned.
  • Reply 87 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I'd have to disagree I'm afraid. I 'switched' last year and I find my MacBook Pro far more functional than any Toshiba or Sony Vaio that I have owned.

Yes, true. But that's because of the OS, not the hardware. Besides, you cannot just compare a random PC maker to a Mac. you should compare the best PC maker to a Mac.

You cannot say that e.g. having the touchpad in the middle is better than the usual approach in the PC laptops. It's mostly in the OS, not in the hardware. The Apple hardware is mainly made to look cool, only second to be a tool.
  • Reply 88 of 104
    Quote:

What laptops have a separate number pad?

Why don't you just use the numbers up top? Why do you need two places to do something?
  • Reply 89 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

What laptops have a separate number pad?

Why don't you just use the numbers up top? Why do you need two places to do something?

What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about separate numbers pads!
  • Reply 90 of 104
    Quote:

I wonder how a touchpad would be more functional under the heel of my hand than between my fingers. It's become so second-nature to swoop down and use the touchpad that I rarely plug in my USB keyboard anymore.

I could be biased (in fact, I know I'm biased) but in my experience, Apple computers are far more ergonomic than the large majority of Windows machines. I researched the switch for years before I dumped my Zeos, Dell, and Gateway desktops, and I've never had even the slightest of second thoughts about it.

After using many generations of various brands of IBM/Windows computers since 1983, I also wonder if the ordinary Microsoft user sees "over the fence" and figures that Apple computers, since they look so pretty, must lack something functionally. It's been my experience that my Apple computer is both the prettiest and the most functional computer I've ever owned. I also happen to believe that part of their functionality lies in their simplicity, with no external bells or whistles to complicate the trip. Windows computer makers rarely seem to aim for parsimony.
  • Reply 91 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

I wonder how a touchpad would be more functional under the heel of my hand than between my fingers. It's become so second-nature to swoop down and use the touchpad that I rarely plug in my USB keyboard anymore.

I agree with you, that Apple computers are well designed and beautiful. And I'm about to swithc, just as they come out with next models.

But!

the touchpad located between your hands, rather than in the middle of the laptop, is a nice thing. Ofcourse it doesn't look as good. But there's a reason for it. you won't accidentally touch it when you type if it's located a little side of the center and in the middle of your hands. The most annoying thing is to accidentally touch it with the palm or heel of your hand when you type and the cursor location changes. That's why they place it where it is in the most of the PC laptops. It's a great position. It doesn't look as good, but it's more functional there. And I want a tool, not a thing to show off.

Just look at e.g. the Sony Vaio laptops. They have some nice and usefull design going on

http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/subcat...ooks/tx-series

e.g. this is a very nice computer. It looks good, but useability goes first in this laptop. It doesn't look as good as macs and it doesn't have OSX, so I won't buy it, but it would be nice to use.

I will buy a mac just because of the OS. They look very nice and they are great, but I want a robust tool. The macs just aren't designed to be tools for a hard working man. And I'm ok with that. I know that the useability comes first from the OS. The hardware is nice, but the fact is that in the PC world I would have literally hundreds of different options and setups to choose from. Ofcourse I will find a more ergonomic laptop for me in that selection. Don't get mad at me althoug I don't unconditionally praise the macs!

I only hope they would forget the nice looks and make a robust tool for me. That's all. The first thing I want is to place the touchpad in the middle of my hands, and not in the center of the laptop, where it looks the best.

I'm sorry if I offend you mac enthusiasts. I'm just being a realist.
  • Reply 92 of 104
    First you say this:

Quote:

I agree with you, that Apple computers are well designed and beautiful. And I'm about to switch, just as they come out with next models.

Then you say this:

Quote:

I will buy a mac just because of the OS. They look very nice and they are great, but I want a robust tool. The macs just aren't designed to be tools for a hard working man.

WTF? Be more specific.

But I guess you mean:

Quote:

...the fact is that in the PC world I would have literally hundreds of different options and setups to choose from. Ofcourse I will find a more ergonomic laptop for me in that selection. Don't get mad at me althoug I don't unconditionally praise the macs!

No one should be mad just because you don't praise Macs unconditionally, the problem with the above statement is that it is pointless to compare Apple's hardware offerings with the hardware of all other PC hardware makers. First, Apple's hardware is mostly geared toward a very specific market, and second, Apple does not and cannot realistically cover every part of the market. This "there's infinitely more hardware choices for PCs" argument is typical for some that choose PCs over Macs. For me an many others, this rationale is pointless (since some of us cherish the very fact that this very limited amount of hardware is one of the reasons why OS X is such a joy to us, ie, the interporability between Mac hardware and OS X). If this less important to you, then stick with PCs and build one that meets the specific needs or a hard working man....
  • Reply 93 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

If this less important to you, then stick with PCs and build one that meets the specific needs or a hard working man....

Well, as I tried to say, I love macs. I I wan't one for the OS. I just wish I would have more choice with the hardware. That's all. I know it's no possible, but I'm just making wishes.

They certainly could design their hardware to be more robust tools. But I know they sell computers becuase they look good. It's a compromise. The professionals probably don't care about the looks as much as the home users. I just wish they would be more ergonomic, as I'm about to be stuck with whatever Apple designs in the future.

And why shouldn't I compare macs with PCs? What else would I compare them with? Ofcourse the hardware is a big selling point, just as the OS is. I'm buying a mac only for the OS. I really like the Apple hardware, but just at the moment I don't find in their limited selection the optimal laptop for me. At the moment, I would like to have OSX on some laptops from the PC world, but I know that's not possible. So I have to settle for a compromise. I value the OS higher than the hardware right now, but I really really wish I could have the best of both.

My problem is that I just don't care about how my laptop will look like. I'm not going to show it off to my friends. I just want to word effectively. I know I will be more effective with a mac, but the hardware could be even better. I'm just having some wishful thinking.

There are some very intuitive designs in the PC world, that really can boost the ergonomics and effectivity, but they are ugly. That's why I will never see those designs on macs. I guess I just have to live with that. The beauty will always go first.
  • Reply 94 of 104
    Quote:

What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about separate numbers pads!

Oh, you're right. I don't know what I'm talking about :P

I half-read posts too often :/
  • Reply 95 of 104
    Quote:

Well, as I tried to say, I love macs. I I wan't one for the OS. I just wish I would have more choice with the hardware. That's all. I know it's no possible, but I'm just making wishes.

Nothing wrong with wishing. We all do it on these forums. HOWEVER...

Quote:

They certainly could design their hardware to be more robust tools. But I know they sell computers becuase they look good.

This is where I COMPLETELY disagree with you. Macs are very robust and productive tools: they just work, are rock solid, and have the best UI out there on top of Unix...they just don't cover every segment of the market.

Quote:

I really like the Apple hardware, but just at the moment I don't find in their limited selection the optimal laptop for me.

Could be so, unfortunately, but the only specific complaint so far seems to be the position of the trackpad...

Quote:

At the moment, I would like to have OSX on some laptops from the PC world, but I know that's not possible.

Ah, the real reason for your discontent. Well, let me be the first to say, it ain't gonna happen. But then again, people said the same thing about Apple and Intel, so you can keep hoping, I guess...

Quote:

My problem is that I just don't care about how my laptop will look like. I'm not going to show it off to my friends. I just want to word effectively. I know I will be more effective with a mac, but the hardware could be even better. I'm just having some wishful thinking.

You keep saying that you want a laptop to work effectively, or that you want a laptop that a working man can use, or that Apple could design their laptops to be more robust, but other than the trackpad gripe, what else do you want? Doesn't sound like you like Apple hardware at all, which is cool, but back it up. Also, despite your assertions to the contrary, it sounds like hardware choice is more important to you. In which case, you should stick with PCs.

Quote:

There are some very intuitive designs in the PC world, that really can boost the ergonomics and effectivity, but they are ugly. That's why I will never see those designs on macs. I guess I just have to live with that. The beauty will always go first.

Macs= beauty (hardware) and the Beast (unix). I disagree with you. But I do agree that Vaio's are nice, but not nice enough to make me put up with Windows...
  • Reply 96 of 104
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    My prediction is that the MBP will be released at WWDC or sooner, but I think WWDC. PowerBooks have been released there in the past and they get a great response there. NAB will probably showcase Mac Pros, and pro software. I don't think it would be in Apples best interest to showcase the new software without the smoking new hardware. It's almost self defeating. I would hope to see the OS released at a special event before then for the sake of building, and keeping up a great momentum for NAB, but at this point I'm wondering what Apple is thinking because the ball is in their court and they have the means to capitalize on it, so we'll see what happens with the OS but again, why put out the new hardware and software without the new OS? We'll see but I say MBP @ WWDC.
  • Reply 97 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

My prediction is that the MBP will be released at WWDC or sooner, but I think WWDC. PowerBooks have been released there in the past and they get a great response there. NAB will probably showcase Mac Pros, and pro software. I don't think it would be in Apples best interest to showcase the new software without the smoking new hardware. It's almost self defeating. I would hope to see the OS released at a special event before then for the sake of building, and keeping up a great momentum for NAB, but at this point I'm wondering what Apple is thinking because the ball is in their court and they have the means to capitalize on it, so we'll see what happens with the OS but again, why put out the new hardware and software without the new OS? We'll see but I say MBP @ WWDC.

Glad to hear it. I'm expecting an LCD-integrated iSight, personally. I think there's really no point to iSight until it really means eye-contact video chatting.

...and about your username "Onlooker". With 3,609 posts, I think it's time you stopped fooling yourself. I suggest "Inthethickofitandproud".
  • Reply 98 of 104
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

PowerBooks have been released [at WWDCs] in the past

Such as when?
  • Reply 99 of 104
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:

They certainly could design their hardware to be more robust tools. But I know they sell computers becuase they look good. It's a compromise. The professionals probably don't care about the looks as much as the home users. I just wish they would be more ergonomic, as I'm about to be stuck with whatever Apple designs in the future.

And why shouldn't I compare macs with PCs? What else would I compare them with? Ofcourse the hardware is a big selling point, just as the OS is. I'm buying a mac only for the OS. I really like the Apple hardware, but just at the moment I don't find in their limited selection the optimal laptop for me. At the moment, I would like to have OSX on some laptops from the PC world, but I know that's not possible. So I have to settle for a compromise. I value the OS higher than the hardware right now, but I really really wish I could have the best of both.

Nakki,

I have had a Sony T160 (the predecessor to the TX) for 3 years, had a high end SZ330 P/B laptop (just sold it) and a Macbook. The T160 is a great portable take-on-the-road unit pretty powerful little dude. I do love it dearly because it weighs 3lbs. But, neither Sony comes close to the Macbook for productivity because of OS X (supplimented with add-on free or cheap apps like Path Finder, Papers, iClip and others). I've been dual platform for many years. Besides its pretty face, the productivity increase with the Mac is off the charts compared to my Sonys. When I'm in Wintel Wonderland (WW), I'm constantly being updated by anti-virus and spyware apps, XP updates, Office updates, etc. It's a never-ending daily stream of such activity in WW. There's also disk defragging and 2-5 weekly crashes caused by apps or XP (much better with XP though). I spend a lot of time in WW not doing work, rather doing preventative maintenance and having my computer co-opted by MS Trusted Platform poop. In MacWorld, I rarely if ever deal with that WW kaka (WWK). I don't even think about it.My 2 cents.

Also, I have not carefully read all your griping about the trackpad but you do realize you can just deactivate it in Sys preferences,right? I don't use the trackpad much on the Mac, just fingers, keyboard and a Mighty Mouse (God I wish I had a FingerWorks iGestures pad!.) 2 more cents.

Foggettabout da Sonys, get a Mac and enjoy (your computing) life.
  • Reply 100 of 104
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I'm holding out for a blu-ray burner & upgraded iTunes & iDvd for my next laptop.