changing master images in aperture and iphoto

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
hi

am i right in thinking that there is no way of altering my original (master) images (located in my 'pictures' folder) in both aperture ans iphoto? I want to be able to see the changes in the original images in this folder, and have these altered images available for other applications, such as itunes. i don't want to have to export altered images from aperture/iphoto, but rather just have one copy of each image. will i need to use preview for basic changes or a third party application such as graphic converter/photoshop for more advanced permanent changes to the originals?

thanks

nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nick_harambee View Post

hi

am i right in thinking that there is no way of altering my original (master) images (located in my 'pictures' folder) in both aperture ans iphoto? I want to be able to see the changes in the original images in this folder, and have these altered images available for other applications, such as itunes. i don't want to have to export altered images from aperture/iphoto, but rather just have one copy of each image. will i need to use preview for basic changes or a third party application such as graphic converter/photoshop for more advanced permanent changes to the originals?

thanks

nick

HUH??

If I can advise you on one basic rule I strictly follow when working with my pictures it is to NEVER change the master images. Only this rule makes certain that I will always be able to undo changes or start over with editing in the future. Both iPhoto and Aperture are based around this philosophy. If you don't want to follow this philosophy you would be better off not using them. You should certainly not fiddle around within your iPhoto/Aperture library at the risk of corrupting those! Having lost a lot of pictures due to bad backup-practices and also having a quite some pictures I edited (badly) years ago and now wish I could now redo but can't because I didn't save the originals, I strongly advise anyone to ATLEAST backup the originals before editing.

Oh, and if you're worried about disk space: Aperture doesn't save the complete changed image, just the recipe for displaying the changes you've made based on the edits you made on the original. The recipe is just a tiny file in itself.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    hi

i am happy to follow this philosophy for photos i have taken and most of my images, but for my album artwork which i have scanned and wish to use with itunes, i want to make changes to the master images after scanning (i.e. cropping/rotating/using stamp tool) so that they can be embedded into my music in itunes. i know that i won't want to return to the original scanned images.

nick
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nick_harambee View Post

hi

i am happy to follow this philosophy for photos i have taken and most of my images, but for my album artwork which i have scanned and wish to use with itunes, i want to make changes to the master images after scanning (i.e. cropping/rotating/using stamp tool) so that they can be embedded into my music in itunes. i know that i won't want to return to the original scanned images.

nick

Ah, I see now. In your place I would edit them first and then import into iPhoto. Try Seashore, it's free and great for simple editing jobs!