Does AppleTV work with Harmony and other Universal Remotes?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am going to be purchasing a AppleTV shortly but am concerned with one thing. I use a Universal Remote (specifically a Harmony Remote, the H688). I am wondering if the Apple Remote using standard IR and as well if it will work with a Harmony Remote or other universal remotes?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Moving to "iPod + iTunes + iPhone + AppleTV" Forum.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I am going to be purchasing a AppleTV shortly but am concerned with one thing. I use a Universal Remote (specifically a Harmony Remote, the H688). I am wondering if the Apple Remote using standard IR and as well if it will work with a Harmony Remote or other universal remotes?

One of the first things I did after my Apple TV arrived was to create an activity for "Watch Apple TV" on my Harmony 880 and program it to control the Apple TV box.

Linksys doesn't appear to yet have the Apple Remote profile in its database, but I captured the buttons manually in about 2 minutes and everything works great.

I've got to get the FF/RW functions worked out (since they require holding down the button); I presume this is just a delay timings issue that's easily remedied.

In short, no problem using a universal remote to control the Apple TV.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I believe they already have the codes. You may have to search under the "computer" category (at least that's what I have read).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Read this thread. Works with the 880 but probably should work with yours.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=823937
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    i have the 670, it works fine. -- after a lot of fidgeting with the control buttons and a ton of google searches. This is what worked for me.

First, make sure you go to Logitech and download 7.2.1. You cannot get the updated version through their OS X software.

Create a new device as an Music Player, Digital Music Server, Apple, "iPod Universal Dock", tell it you don't have the remote (therre is no need to do the IR commands).

Then, in Devices, find your new Digital Music Server, and click settings, select Customize Buttons.

Set them up like this:

Guide = Menu

Up = VolumeUp

Down = VolumeDown

Left = Rewind

Right = FastForward

OK= Play

The rest of the remote buttons will work as designed (pause, play, etc) if you so want to use them. What we were concerned with was navigation, which we manually did with the Guide, up, down etc.

Make sure you set the setting for the device to "Never turn off" or you will reboot your device every time you click Off.