Does AppleTV stream media from Base Station hard drive?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Now that the Apple TV is being shipped has anyone tried to stream video from a Hard Drive connected via USB to the Airport Extreme Base Station? I have a laptop I can connect to but I have limited hard drive space and would love if I can store my media on the base station hard drive and stream from it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

Now that the Apple TV is being shipped has anyone tried to stream video from a Hard Drive connected via USB to the Airport Extreme Base Station? I have a laptop I can connect to but I have limited hard drive space and would love if I can store my media on the base station hard drive and stream from it.

It seems possible as long as it's in your Library when you do the syncing.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 4
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

From what I understand (I have not tried this) Apple TV will play "Reference Movies".

You make a reference movie from a file sitting on your AirDisk. You then add the reference movie to iTunes and sync it with Apple TV.

Apple TV will play the movie ( streaming it from the Airdisk) - This will work even if your Mac is turned off. Who needs more than 40Gb now?

C.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Why a reference movie? Just uncheck the option regarding copying files to the iTunes folder on import, then add your movie to iTunes. Regardless of where the movie is stored, it will be available.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Why a reference movie? Just uncheck the option regarding copying files to the iTunes folder on import, then add your movie to iTunes. Regardless of where the movie is stored, it will be available.

Just to confirm, I've done this and it works just fine.