How do I convert .swf to .avi/.mpg???

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi There,

I wonder if anybody knows how to convert flash files (swf/fla) to one of the standard files for video as in .avi, .mpeg or even .mov.

I have exported via Flash 8, but the probrlem is: It doesn't keep the vectors function. so I have only a video with all flat images and no movement at all. It's just the program creating a bunch of jpeg and joining them all to create a movie effect... Not really good, IMHO!!!

So, if there is anything out there for Mac, please let me know... and if it's a freeware... hey.. it's a plus, isn't it?

Well, if anyone can shed some light, that would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks all

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    If you have the FLA file, publish as a quicktime movie. If not, recompile, touch up and THEN publish.

Works for me

-tj
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomozj View Post

If you have the FLA file, publish as a quicktime movie. If not, recompile, touch up and THEN publish.

Works for me

-tj

Hi Tomozj,

Thanks for your help...

I actually publish as a quicktime movie, but it discards all the vectorial movements I add to the project...

The solution I found now, was through a program called iShowU, and it records everything on the screen and saves as a video file...

I really was hoping there was an easy/free way of converting it...
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Yes. Using Perian (google, a bunch of quicktime components) you can open FLV files in quicktime. So you could use quicktime to convert, and perian is free so this is a free solution.

But if what you've got is good enough then cool.

-tj
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Have you tried iSquint? I don't know if it takes .swf or .fla; but if you can export to .flv, iSquint does the rest.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Ah yes, I use iSquint. VisualHub would probably be a better solution, because iSquint was created for iPods, and VisualHub for general converting.

All of these converter apps usually use the quicktime engine, so as like as QT works with a file, everything else does

-tj
  • Reply 6 of 28
    iSquint does have some advanced settings; but now that you've mentioned it, I have looked at VisualHub, and it seems to be really great. It's not free, but it might suit the OP's needs. Granted it is compatible with his export format, of course.

And I have to disagree with you on the converter engine. iSquint uses ffmpeg; or at least that's what's hogging my CPU when iSquint is at work.

To OP: You could also have a look at ffmpegX.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Hi all,

Thanks a bunch for you help... I will try every possible way you guys mentioned here... I tried ffmpegX already, but it does not recognise the swf/fla/flv formats...

I will let you know the outcome of my neverending quest!!! :-)

Cheers!!!
  • Reply 8 of 28
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soulhunter View Post

Hi all,

Thanks a bunch for you help... I will try every possible way you guys mentioned here... I tried ffmpegX already, but it does not recognise the swf/fla/flv formats...

I will let you know the outcome of my neverending quest!!! :-)

Cheers!!!

I don't know about SWF or FLA, but ffmpegX support FLV. You should be able to convert a FLV video into a .avi/DivX or .avi/XviD video. The ffmpeg libraries have supported .flv files for a bit. It's even found it's way into the latest version of VLC.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pyr3 View Post

I don't know about SWF or FLA, but ffmpegX support FLV. You should be able to convert a FLV video into a .avi/DivX or .avi/XviD video. The ffmpeg libraries have supported .flv files for a bit. It's even found it's way into the latest version of VLC.

mmm interesting!!! I will give it a shot... I might be wrong, but I guess I couldn't svae the file in .flv...

I don't have my mac close to me at the time... (I am at work )... Will try this as soon as I get home..

Thanks!!!
  • Reply 10 of 28
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    There's one tool, but it's for Windows:

http://www.pizzinini.net/projects/swf2avi/

This will convert your swf, and will respect animations in movieclip timelines as well. It does a sort of realtime capture. It works very well (I used it for DJ animations) but I recommend setting your Flash file to 1 FPS and the capture speed to 1 FPS as well, because it is CPU intensive.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

There's one tool, but it's for Windows:

http://www.pizzinini.net/projects/swf2avi/

This will convert your swf, and will respect animations in movieclip timelines as well. It does a sort of realtime capture. It works very well (I used it for DJ animations) but I recommend setting your Flash file to 1 FPS and the capture speed to 1 FPS as well, because it is CPU intensive.

Hi, Thanks a lot for your help... I am afraid I am a Mac fan... ;-)

So Windowze is a no-no for me!!! I s'pose I could install it to run this application... but I still prefer to struggle a bit more to find out how to do it on a mac...8) 8) 8)
  • Reply 12 of 28
    blumzzblumzz Posts: 1member
    Hi, soulhunter.

Excuse I know some converters only for windows . Probably you can try to search in a Google for mac.

Good luck in decision your problems!!!
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blumzz View Post

Hi, soulhunter.

Excuse I know some converters only for windows . Probably you can try to search in a Google for mac.

Good luck in decision your problems!!!

Well.. thanks a lot for all the support..

I ended up getting a screen capture called iShowU.. and it's working like a charm... great quality...
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Try MPEG Streamclip. I use it for importing .flv video downloaded from YouTube for conversion to .mp4 for iPod. It is free.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squared 5

"MPEG Streamclip is a powerful video converter, player, editor for Mac and Windows. It can play many movie files, not only MPEGs; it can convert MPEG files between muxed/demuxed formats for authoring; it can encode movies to many formats, including iPod; it can cut, trim and join movies.

MPEG Streamclip can also download videos from YouTube and Google by entering the page URL.

MPEG Streamclip is a converter for QuickTime files, MPEG-1/2/4 files and transport streams (.ts and .m2t). It provides high-quality conversion of movies and MPEGs into several useful formats. It is compatible with most editing applications and DVD authoring tools. More details are available in the download pages.

Supported input formats

MPEG, VOB, PS, M2P, MOD, VRO, DAT, MOV, DV, AVI, MP4, TS, M2T, MMV, REC, VID, AUD, AVR, VDR, PVR, TP0, M2V, M1V, MPV, AIFF, M1A, MP2, MPA, AC3..."

• Reply 15 of 28
    I'm trying to convert swf as well. I'm an educator looking to adapt some small Flash files from the web to my lectures.

Using iShowU promises to be a very useful tool with more applications than just my current conversion dilemma.

Thanks to all for the questions and solution recommendations!

This forum always has good dialogue.

• Reply 16 of 28
    soulhuntersoulhunter Posts: 50member
    Hi All...

Thanks, thanks, thanks... alot for all your help... As I mentioned before, iShowU is doing the job well...

That is so weird that no one ever thought about making a freeware application for this. If only I could program... perhaps I should give it a shot!!!
  • Reply 17 of 28
    soulhuntersoulhunter Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdrlove View Post

I'm trying to convert swf as well. I'm an educator looking to adapt some small Flash files from the web to my lectures.

Using iShowU promises to be a very useful tool with more applications than just my current conversion dilemma.

Thanks to all for the questions and solution recommendations!

This forum always has good dialogue.

Hi jdrlove,

If you are using firefox, you can visit https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2390 and download this little extension that allows you to save the videos to your hard drive... and then you can use it for whatever... hope this helps.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    jdrlovejdrlove Posts: 2member
    Thanks mucho soulhunter! I'm on Safari but more and more i'm seeing greater advantages to firefox...the add-ons etc...are just too useful and numerous.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soulhunter View Post

Hi There,

I wonder if anybody knows how to convert flash files (swf/fla) to one of the standard files for video as in .avi, .mpeg or even .mov.

I have exported via Flash 8, but the probrlem is: It doesn't keep the vectors function. so I have only a video with all flat images and no movement at all. It's just the program creating a bunch of jpeg and joining them all to create a movie effect... Not really good, IMHO!!!

So, if there is anything out there for Mac, please let me know... and if it's a freeware... hey.. it's a plus, isn't it?

Well, if anyone can shed some light, that would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks all

Goodmoning I prefer to use Macvide FlashVideo Converter.It`s convert any Adobe (Macromedia) Flash (*.swf, *.flv files) to video movie mp4 (iPod Video), MOV, 3GP, ASF/WMV, mpeg files.

I like this program, I hope I helped you
  • Reply 20 of 28
    slash*)slash*) Posts: 2member
    I decided to test one program...it's Macvide FlashVideo Converter

You know, it's very nice and now I use it always when I need to create my own video with friends)))