Epson announces Powerlite 1080p Projector under $3k

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Epson's new boy wonder

1080p 3-LCD projector

-12000:1 contrast ratio

-"industry best" lens shift (vertical + horizontal)

-HDMI 1.3 with deep color support

-no lamp info

-$2,999 MSRP

thanks Lexx_kun

I wonder why they haven't listed the Lumens. That is a bit odd. I hope their are around 2000 lumens here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Epson's new boy wonder

1080p 3-LCD projector

-12000:1 contrast ratio

-"industry best" lens shift (vertical + horizontal)

-HDMI 1.3 with deep color support

-no lamp info

-$2,999 MSRP

thanks Lexx_kun

I wonder why they haven't listed the Lumens. That is a bit odd. I hope their are around 2000 lumens here.

Nice...was waiting for their 1080p...guess I need to visit avs again. Most HT projectors wont have 2000 lumens.

Vinea
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Nice...was waiting for their 1080p...guess I need to visit avs again. Most HT projectors wont have 2000 lumens.

Vinea

I'm anxiously await the reviews of this projector. 1080p for less than 3k. I wouldn't have guessed even last year.

At the pace that I've seen projectors drop I expect that in 5yr $1000 will buy you a projector that exceeds the capabilities of todays $15k and down projectors.

If you have the room ...now is the time to start eyeballing potential placement, screen technologies and whatnot. There's nothing like a big projected image IMO. It brings home the "movie feel"
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

I'm anxiously await the reviews of this projector. 1080p for less than 3k. I wouldn't have guessed even last year.

Folks have been expecting this since cheap 720p DLPs arrived. DLP are considered better by many/most folks than LCDs because of better contrast and fill.

Quote:

At the pace that I've seen projectors drop I expect that in 5yr $1000 will buy you a projector that exceeds the capabilities of todays $15k and down projectors.

If you have the room ...now is the time to start eyeballing potential placement, screen technologies and whatnot. There's nothing like a big projected image IMO. It brings home the "movie feel"

Yes, projectors are kinda like computers. You can buy really expensive ones every longish period or cheaper ones more often. Me I get cheap ones since that's all my wife will let me buy anyway. But then I get to call it a "strategy" and pretend otherwise.

A $1000 projector today doesn't quite outperform a $15,000 projector from 5 years ago (if I recall correctly the budget ones are still 480) since those were 720.. A $2000 (street) projector does and has for a year or so.

Screen placement and sensitivity to ambient light are the biggest drawbacks to front projection. Unless you want to spend $$$ on high tech black screens anyway.

Vinea
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I've had an XGA projector for maybe five years, and I think the bulb might be close to the end of its life anyway. I know a guy that has a 720p Epson and it's pretty darn nice. I have a bigger screen area so I would benefit more from a 1080p unit. I hope to replace my existing unit, so I'll be watching this model.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I've had an XGA projector for maybe five years, and I think the bulb might be close to the end of its life anyway. I know a guy that has a 720p Epson and it's pretty darn nice. I have a bigger screen area so I would benefit more from a 1080p unit. I hope to replace my existing unit, so I'll be watching this model.

Me too...the LCDs have come a long way.

Vinea
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I don't know if anyone has heard, but this beast is available, and it's pretty nice. I think I am getting about a 12 ft image. I need to get a DVI / HDMI cable, it's a little blurry through an analog VGA cable from my old projector.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know if anyone has heard, but this beast is available, and it's pretty nice. I think I am getting about a 12 ft image. I need to get a DVI / HDMI cable, it's a little blurry through an analog VGA cable from my old projector.

nice! I've read good reviews about it. There's little reason now to go with anything but a projector in nice sized home theater setup.

I don't have the space and the money now but I'm working on it.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

I've read good reviews about it. There's little reason now to go with anything but a projector in nice sized home theater setup.

I don't have the space and the money now but I'm working on it.

There are reasons not to, such as if you can't control the light. If you like having lights on, you can't have them as bright as you would with a panel. It's hard, but I'm now convinced that it is worth it if you can do it. It makes the idea of home theater seem almost tangible rather than just a throwaway marketing phrase.

The Apple 1080p trailers and such look fantastic. HD over the antenna is pretty nice too.