Apple store change may hint at Logic overhaul

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

GarageBand is more of a name used for amateurs. Maybe something like RecordingStudio or something that implies the professional recording industry

SpinalTap Pro... this one goes to 10.5.0

my apologies in advance.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    How can Apple introduce software that "requires Leopard" without first introducing Leopard?
  • Reply 23 of 45
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

SpinalTap Pro... this one goes to 10.5.0

But this one goes to 11.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At the time, the blog site speculated that Musikmesse would make an ideal fit for such an announcement.

It should be " ...that the Musikmesse would", since "Musikmesse" is not a Name, but a Noun.

I wish I could be there, but I can't - I hope there are at least some hints of the new hardware.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    If you want to see a glimpse of what Logic 8 (or whatever Apple chooses to call it) could look like, take a look at Soundtrack.

- The interface has been completely revamped and is based on a non-linear editing paradigm (instead of the mixing console paradigm of Logic)

- All the special effects, filters, etc of Logic are already there (no surprise here as they are all audio units)

- An asset browser similar to the loop browser in Garageband and Logic

- Logic already had the capability to import Quicktime movies into a global track

What is missing is the midi capability that is needed for synths, sample players, etc.

My guess is that Logic will be folded into Soundtrack because it reduces the number of applications Apple has to support. This makes sense as the overlap between Soundtrack and Logic today is considerable.

With Apple, expect the news where you don't expect them!
  • Reply 26 of 45
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

How can Apple introduce software that "requires Leopard" without first introducing Leopard?

If you would just get into the RDF, you would understand....
  • Reply 27 of 45
    So that leads to one of two scenarios:

1. New Logic doesn't require Leopard and it's shipping today/tomorrow/Monday whatever.

2. New Logic requires Leopard, so here's the release date for Leopard as well.

I can really see this - and FC6 - being dependant on leopard though, and then all three dropping at once.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Looks like the Logic Pro Crossgrade is still available, so much ado about nothing?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nMore=MA328Z/A
  • Reply 29 of 45
    niplijniplij Posts: 14member
    damn it! I wet my pants i was so excited.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Is it safe to say nothing is coming today?
  • Reply 31 of 45
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Is it safe to say nothing is coming today?

You got your CS3 today. Now move along and be happy.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Given that the German audio show starts on the 28th (I believe, from their website), there is always a chance of a Wednesday update - Wednesday's are quite common for Apple updates too folks, don't forget!
  • Reply 33 of 45
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G_Warren View Post

Given that the German audio show starts on the 28th (I believe, from their website), there is always a chance of a Wednesday update - Wednesday's are quite common for Apple updates too folks, don't forget!

So is the date listed in the article a typo:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider

And according to a French audio blog, it has invited local retailers to a briefing on the eve of March 26th, about one day before exhibits open to the German public

• Reply 34 of 45
    Don't get your hopes up too high - Apple's just cancelled three of the four booths are the messe. Nothing something they do if they want to announce something big
  • Reply 35 of 45
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Must have been a typo Feynman, yes, as the official website for the show says 28th to ...

Sounds like they had something to announce, then pulled it if the cancelled booths. Hmm.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

people are also under the assumption that the new DAW is going to introduce a reliance or ability to utilze touchscreen control surfaces... in some new innovative way other than simply putting a touchscreen overlay on a traditional monitor.

That's a ridiculous idea. All the hype around Apple taking touch screen out of automated museum exhibits and "into the 21st century" is overblown. A touchscreen would never be accurate enough to replace the fine-tuning controls of a mechanical mixing console. Also, Logic Pro is an application designed for, yes, professional studios, most of which are using very large displays mounted behind the mixing console, NOT within arm's length. Touchscreen would be so costly to develop that it makes no sense whatsoever to implement it if it's only going to be usable by a tiny fraction of the target group, and with questionable results. Nobody will want to redesign/upgrade their hundred thousand dollar mixing desk for the ridiculous notion of touch-screen mixing and mastering control.

I think the biggest changes in an update from apple will probably be a new, and extended partnership between Apple and a control surface company, to combat the great success Avid has had packaging Protools with both Digidesign and M-Audio product groups. Also, the new Logic will have to have greatly update notation tools, as the upcoming ProTools release will feature full integration with Sibelius, which was recently bought by Avid, creating an application with hardware support that will really be a "complete package", and difficult for Logic in its current state to compete with.

Of special importance may be that this will be the first real update to Logic since Apple bought Emagic. Logic 7 was basically Apple grafting a bunch of other applications which it had bought onto Logic 6, and then polishing it up in 7.1 and 7.2. Logic 8 (or whatever it will be called), if it really is a full redesign, could either see the product line revitalized by the new input from whoever Apple has brought aboard, or it could tank if Apple screws it up, especially since ProTools' next release will be pretty close to the "killer app" of the hardware world, as long as they polish up their sequencing and integrate Sibelius properly. The whole digidesign/M-Audio bundling and seamless integration options from M-Box through 002/003 interfaces through the professional line has really become this generation's industry standard, and the acquisitions made by Avid lately have given them the possibility of taking the all-in-one audio solution to the next level...
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

That's a ridiculous idea. All the hype around Apple taking touch screen out of automated museum exhibits and "into the 21st century" is overblown. A touchscreen would never be accurate enough to replace the fine-tuning controls of a mechanical mixing console. Also, Logic Pro is an application designed for, yes, professional studios, most of which are using very large displays mounted behind the mixing console, NOT within arm's length. Touchscreen would be so costly to develop that it makes no sense whatsoever to implement it if it's only going to be usable by a tiny fraction of the target group, and with questionable results. Nobody will want to redesign/upgrade their hundred thousand dollar mixing desk for the ridiculous notion of touch-screen mixing and mastering control.

I think the biggest changes in an update from apple will probably be a new, and extended partnership between Apple and a control surface company, to combat the great success Avid has had packaging Protools with both Digidesign and M-Audio product groups. Also, the new Logic will have to have greatly update notation tools, as the upcoming ProTools release will feature full integration with Sibelius, which was recently bought by Avid, creating an application with hardware support that will really be a "complete package", and difficult for Logic in its current state to compete with.

Of special importance may be that this will be the first real update to Logic since Apple bought Emagic. Logic 7 was basically Apple grafting a bunch of other applications which it had bought onto Logic 6, and then polishing it up in 7.1 and 7.2. Logic 8 (or whatever it will be called), if it really is a full redesign, could either see the product line revitalized by the new input from whoever Apple has brought aboard, or it could tank if Apple screws it up, especially since ProTools' next release will be pretty close to the "killer app" of the hardware world, as long as they polish up their sequencing and integrate Sibelius properly. The whole digidesign/M-Audio bundling and seamless integration options from M-Box through 002/003 interfaces through the professional line has really become this generation's industry standard, and the acquisitions made by Avid lately have given them the possibility of taking the all-in-one audio solution to the next level...

Your right, I don't think it will replace either, but augment... you know... in some "innovative" way. Most people that have done mockups of such a concept have depicted screens integrated into control surface (you even mention some possible collaboration with a control surface vendor). I view this more as the next level of the Presonus Faderport, Frontier AlphaTrack, or even the Frontier Tranzport. How much more useful would those types of devices be if there was a side mount "tablet" for flexible button arrangements? Far far in the future (like more than 6 months), I think they will "perfect" touchscreens with tactile feedback, so it is not ridiculous to have some sensory feedback, which is so important.

How about a wireless tablet, that allows one to have remote control of the DAW like the Tranzport does, but with an area that you can make tweaks to the levels, software instruments, etc... while doing you remote controlled punch-in-out?

How about a console mounted touchscreen that blows up to an advanced channel strip, where you can get a weighted RTA of the signal and simply draw an EQ curve across the screen... either of the EQ or what you want the end result to look like?

I think that some of the reactions that you have are correct, but such a product could be thought out to address these. There certainly is a utility, and although the professional studios are still going to use their ICON class surfaces, the home or prosumer user does tend to have much more compact setups where the ability to rely on single purpose control surfaces would give Logic an added perceived value to this segment of consumer - not something to be underestimated.

Of course, nobody has seen any evidence of Apple going this route, with most of the momentum caused by rumors and forums... a sort of self feeding effect, but I have little doubt that it will eventually be a reality. I was originally just noting what the hot topic of debate was with regards to the next Logic by those that participate in such pre-release chit chat. Maybe it won't be Logic 8, maybe it won't be Apple, but its coming...
  • Reply 38 of 45
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    nothing today then... i was 99% sure it was coming right away, but now it looks almost unlikely!
  • Reply 39 of 45
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...A reader on Monday noted that the $49 Logic Pro 7.2 Crossgrade package -- an update that delivers new features and Intel Mac support for users of PowerPC-native Logic Pro 7.0 or 7.1 -- is no longer available for purchase at Apple's online shop...

Update: Apple has similarly removed the Final Cut Pro Crossgrade product from its online store ahead of next month's National Association of Broadcasters conference, where it is widely expected to introduce Final Cut Pro 6.0

Yes, this reader (ie. me ) has noted previously that all the Final Cut Pro Crossgrade/ Upgrade links are/were broken on the apple website.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=73107

Get ready for the Creative Revolucion..!! Final Cut Studio 6, CS3, Logic X, AfterEffects8.0, Leopard. Should be looking solid by July 31 2007.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

So is that going to be a separate version, like 8.0 or something? Means I've just paid for 7.2 and now this...

It's cool bro, there will be some upgrade fee, you don't have to jump on, Logic 7 will be pretty cool for a ton of music making stuff.

All this new Final Cut Studio, Logic X, Leopard, CS3, AfterEffects8, etc. is to start to move people onto Universal Macintel. If you're happy with your PowerPC or Universal recent setups "previous" versions should be okay for what you want to do.

I would be recommending to move to the latest stuff for people that have not upgraded in about 1 year +. Or 2 years +. All itching to get on MacIntel, it should demolish the G5 machines in terms of performance.