AT&T receives 1 million inquiries on Apple iPhone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Cingular Wireless, the mobile unit of AT&T Inc., has received around a million requests from customers who wish to receive additional information on Apple Inc.'s upcoming iPhone handset when it becomes available.

Cingular, which is undergoing a re-branding to the AT&T name, has signed on with Apple to be the exclusive wireless carrier for the iPhone when it goes on sale later this June.

"One million people have asked us to call when this phone is available," AT&T Chief Operating Officer Randall Stephenson said during a keynote speech at the CTIA wireless technology conference.

Neither Cingular nor Apple have begun taking pre-orders for the touch-based handset, but Cingular has set up a section on its Web site inviting visitors to leave their e-mail addresses to receive information about the phone when it is released.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Are all of those 1 million people aware of the price?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    isn't that the amount of phones apple wants to sell? :dizzy:

mission acomplished...
  • Reply 3 of 43
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post

isn't that the amount of phones apple wants to sell? :dizzy:

mission acomplished...

I thought it was more like 12 million?
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

I thought it was more like 12 million?

10 million through 2008.

So 18 months. It will become more achievable when (if) they release another phone within a year
  • Reply 5 of 43
    So what? I'm curious enough to want more info about it, but I won't buy one.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil Maneker View Post

10 million through 2008.

So 18 months. It will become more achievable when (if) they release another phone within a year

or when the prices go down.

so they already have about one million right for when it's released. then they just need to have good ads and prove that cingular (or AT&T) doesn't suck too much to get the other 9 million...
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post

so they already have about one million right for when it's released. then they just need to have good ads and prove that cingular (or AT&T) doesn't suck too much to get the other 9 million...

I wonder how many people who really want to get one, and have already researched the product, have bothered signing up on that list? Cingular isn’t going to offer much beyond basic release information, and people who go out of their way to research products like this before release are on top of it. I’m buying one, and I’ve never even considered signing up for their mailing list. If 1 million people have inquired, that seems quite impressive indeed, and would lend itself positively to the product’s future.

I’m most curious if Cingular will further subsidize the project, if Apple will drop the price a little more, and what, if anything, Cingular will do to accommodate customers who are locked into contracts with other carries to entice them over to their own service.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple said they were aiming for 10 phones, not 10 million iPhones. I think we all know Apple's gonna bring out another non-Smartphone iPhone before summer 2008, possibly before the end of this year. They'll want to grab all the teens who want a cool phone and can't afford an iPhone too. As I said a few times before, if the iPhone was really cheap and didn't require a contract I'd get one but it isn't and it does - so all I'm looking for is a cool looking, music-playing cellphone from Apple. As music phones become ubiquitous in Europe all we really want to do here is send texts, make calls and listen to music in that order of importance, anything else is just a bonus.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Cingular Wireless, the mobile unit of AT&T Inc., has received around a million requests from customers who wish to receive additional information on Apple Inc.'s upcoming iPhone handset when it becomes available....

"One million people have asked us to call when this phone is available," AT&T Chief Operating Officer Randall Stephenson said during a keynote speech at the CTIA wireless technology conference.

Big deal. If you go into a Cingular store and ask for information, they won't have any (since Apple isn't releasing any information, and they probably haven't settled on pricing models and other crap for the phone service itself). So people go "Hey, let me know when it does become available so then maybe you can tell me something about it".

But, really. $500-$600 for a phone? And one targeted mainly at the consumer segment? I think most will pass. Sure, they'll get the "If its Apple, I've got to buy it! I'm standing in line now!" people, but after that, its all about whether it fits the needs of the users.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    man listen who the heck would want another phone, other than the iphone when it comes out, if you think $600 is alot just stop and think how much are they going to be on ebay with out a contract keep in mind apple has a very different consumer than MSFT and the prove that back 3 years ago when they sold ipod for $599 and they flew out of the shelves so stop it with the price already time will tell its does not matter that much when it comes to apple maybe thats there secret
  • Reply 11 of 43
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I?m most curious if Cingular will further subsidize the project, if Apple will drop the price a little more, and what, if anything, Cingular will do to accommodate customers who are locked into contracts with other carries to entice them over to their own service.

Cingular won't be subsidizing the price (Apple won't let them, and since they're selling it together, if you will, Apple will insist on same pricing between cingular and apple's stores - plus, Apple doesn't like people to offer their products cheaply).

Apple may or may not drop the price, but I doubt it. If so, it'll be very little. They'll see it as a luxury product and want to keep the status symbol of it.

Cingular won't do anything to accomdate other's customers any more then they do now.

Why should they? They've already got you in there with the iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Apple WILL drop the price, and/or up the specs (like storage GB and 3G support).

The will NOT do any of the above when the product first comes out Eventually it's inevitable though. (And I intend to wait and see--but it will KILL me to wait!)
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple said they were aiming for 10 phones, not 10 million iPhones.

State your source. No one knows how many phones form factors there will be and Apple hasn't said anything about anything beyond the singular (meaning one and not cingular) phone that has been announced.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple said they were aiming for 10 phones, not 10 million iPhones.

When did they say this?

At the keynote, Steve gave the target as an estimated 10% of the market - 10M units.

He also said they would keep developing the product with 3G etc.

Noone has heard of a second model of phone, let alone 9.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Ill pass, im waiting for next revision on the phone, with more memory, 3G, less bugs, new apps, etc. No need to be a Beta tester at that price point.

Some people want a cheaper version with less capabilities, I want one with more, weird.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by david_oc View Post

When did they say this?

At the keynote, Steve gave the target as an estimated 10% of the market - 10M units.

Actually, the target was 1% of the market, which is 10M units.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Actually, the target was 1% of the market, which is 10M units.

For all you people complaining about the price, look at this info about a phone you might have heard about:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wikipedia

Motorola RAZR (pronounced "razor", IPA:/ɹeɪzə(ɹ)/) is a thin clamshell mobile/cellular camera phone designed and manufactured by Motorola. The phone was initially regarded as an exclusive fashion phone,[1] with a high price of $500 with service agreement and $800 without. However, in 2005 the phone entered the mass-market as a mid-priced phone.

I believe that the iPhone will be the next RAZR. Right now you can get one for free with a contract if you know where to look. Last summer I got one for $100 after rebate on a renewal. I believe the price will come down on the iPhone when they release next generation models, so that in a year or so the current iPhone will be very affordable, while a new version will take the high end of the market.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

Last summer I got one for $100 after rebate on a renewal.

This will never happen. When in the last 4-5 years has apple discounted a product before it announced the next latest and greatest. Apple always has planned obsolecence into their product. Even when my 4G iPod 'video' was capable of doing text searches, a feature on the 5G, did they add that feature? No, they make you buy the new one. Apple will continue to not add features to an old product JUST so you have to buy a new one at the FULL price.

On another note, hopefully iPhone is going to be another Platform like the Mac. Apple makes you buy a new OS to expand the capabilities of your old Mac. Lets hope that there is a minimal charge for the iPhone OS updates so when they add new features it is worth throwing some money at it rather than throwing away a $600 phone and a 2 year contract. I could see paying $50 to stay current maybe more, but not much.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmmdoughnuts View Post

This will never happen. When in the last 4-5 years has apple discounted a product before it announced the next latest and greatest. Apple always has planned obsolecence into their product. Even when my 4G iPod 'video' was capable of doing text searches, a feature on the 5G, did they add that feature? No, they make you buy the new one. Apple will continue to not add features to an old product JUST so you have to buy a new one at the FULL price.

On another note, hopefully iPhone is going to be another Platform like the Mac. Apple makes you buy a new OS to expand the capabilities of your old Mac. Lets hope that there is a minimal charge for the iPhone OS updates so when they add new features it is worth throwing some money at it rather than throwing away a $600 phone and a 2 year contract. I could see paying $50 to stay current maybe more, but not much.

I never said they would add features to the current model, I said that they would come out with a new version with the new features and then reduce the price on the current model. The other thing they might do would be to offer a better model for the $500ish price point then make a new cheaper version for say the $250ish price point. Look at the iPod minis and nanos. They come out with better models for the high end and less featured models to capture the lower end of the market. Besides, I view a phone as a 'disposable' device anyway. I use my phone so much every day that just the wear and tear on the phone makes replacement necessary in 2 or 3 years, plus you get all the latest features by replacing, and with the carrier discounts, it is pretty affordable.

Mark my words, 2 years from now I will be able to get an Apple phone for less than $200 with a 2 year agreement.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmmdoughnuts View Post

Apple is aware of the upper and lower limits in today's market for phones, and they are trying to the value perception for the latest iteration... the phone/computer.