Transferring software from one mac to another

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am shortly to buy a new Macbook, but probably not until OS 10.5 is available.

I have several music applications on my eMac which I would want to transfer if possible (Drumcore, V-Station, Stylus RMX, Intakt) rather than have to buy new versions. I wouldn't expect to keep two versions (that would be cheating!).

Is that possible? If so, are there any problems?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovy Mucker View Post

I have several music applications on my eMac which I would want to transfer if possible (Drumcore, V-Station, Stylus RMX, Intakt) rather than have to buy new versions. I wouldn't expect to keep two versions (that would be cheating!).

It's quite likely your apps are mostly ppc and not universal binary. Meaning they will run in rosetta and running a few of them simultaneously will force your new macbook on its' knees.... So yeah, you could try it but I would not expect a happy experience...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovy Mucker View Post

Your not going to want to use them. It depends on your DAW application and the specific VSTi itself. A lot of the VSTi's are not supported through Rosetta, that's why they came out with UB versions of everything so quickly. The DAW programs are starting to switch over. Cubase, Pro Tools, and Logic are all UB now. Those are the only three I was worried about. I know 95% of NI plugs are UB (all the ones I use are UB, including Pro-53 now), uTonic, Reason, almost all major companies have converted over. The ONLY plug-ins I don't have currently, and am waiting patiently on would be Waves. I use Cubase 4, and old VST technology is not supported, so I need to wait for them to make a new bundle. If you use Pro Tools, or Logic, all Waves bundles will work UB. So you don't have anything to worry about. Just buy some upgrades and your good to go!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Corking!

Thank you both for your advice.