Video Screenshots

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Two thigns:

1) Best FREE video screenshot program

2) Best video screenshot program period.

¡Mucho gracias!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I've been looking for this too. I started a thread a few weeks ago but nobody replied. I've only used one video screen shot program and it isn't free. It was Snapz Pro X. In the time that I had it, I only used it twice but it was very good. The only downside I saw to it was that it cost money.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    iShowU.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Will Apple be adding screencast capability into Quicktime 8?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quicktime 7 already has it. It's called File > Export > Movie to Picture
  • Reply 5 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Quicktime 7 already has it. It's called File > Export > Movie to Picture

I think you completely misunderstood the purpose of this thread. 8)
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I use Ambrosia Software's Snapz Pro X2 . It's a pretty cool program, in most respects.

Smoothly recording Flash video from websites such as YouTube, Google Video etc. doesn't work. I don't know why, but it doesn't. Also, the program uses a fair amount of Processor power.

For example, when I try to record a ten minute portion of a video playing in QuickTime player, Snapz Pro X's video capture will most likely stall briefly, which means that I would need to re-record.

I'm using a slightly older Mac, though. Only 1GHz PPC, 768MB RAM. So if you're using a faster Mac, such as a Mac Pro (which your Profile states), that probably won't be an issue.

Otherwise, Snapz Pro X is a pretty cool program.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Will Apple be adding screencast capability into Quicktime 8?

Who friggin? knows.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    The screencasting area is something that is particularly weak on OSX.

I've used Captivate 2 on Windows and it is an utter joy. As far as I am aware this software is only available for Windows.

I have used iShowU and would say it is very good for a simple desktop video capture in mov format. The filesize is quite small and you can get results very quickly.

This is idea for quickly presenting an idea to a friend, or posting a desktop video to YouTube.

Because it is captured in .mov it is also fine to edit the video in iMovie, which is a bonus.

If you want to create a proffessional looking flash tutorial with on screen notes and what not then it isn't particularly good.

Come on Adobe, bring out Captivate for Mac!