No more 2GB Nano

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I went to my local Apple store to pick up a 2GB Nano and a Macbook and the manager told me that they got a note from Apple that the 2GB Nano sku is no longer in production and that what is left in the system where the last 2GB by Apple.

Also no longer in production are the iMac sku's.

So i told the manager that they where discontinued and he was very careful not to say that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    what store and insert dramatic music.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    If this is true, then 4GB will become the low-end model, 8GB the mid-range model, and a new 16GB nano is on the way.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Within our store, we have seen iPod availability dwindle to nothing. However, it is our understanding that the AppleTV and iPhone come off the same assembly lines. It is entirely possible that new iPod models are comming, or it is entirely possible that Apple's manufacturing lines are trying to catch up to the preorders for AppleTV and getting the iPhone ramped for either an early release or higher-than-expected demand.

We also buy 2GB iPods, and we have received no notice from Apple that the product number is done. However, the little turds are unavailable.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    At Apple.com, they must be available because they state that they ship within 24 hours.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    atlasatlas Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

At Apple.com, they must be available because they state that they ship within 24 hours.

That is true, but it is true that once numbers start to dwindle down, new things are coming. I don't, however, believe new iPods won't be released until after the iPhone. Apple is pushing that waaay to much to have something like a new iPod soften the impact of the iPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

That is true, but it is true that once numbers start to dwindle down, new things are coming. I don't, however, believe new iPods won't be released until after the iPhone. Apple is pushing that waaay to much to have something like a new iPod soften the impact of the iPhone.

I hope this doesn't mean that they are just doing away with the $150 price point. That would look too greedy.

I don't think the nano really competes with the iPhone for money or mind share, but if the nano line is bumped to 4/8/12 or 4/8/16, then I sure hope that the iPhone is bumped to 8/16 too.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Assuming this is indicative of a line change (and it might not be), I'd be more inclined to suggest that Apple will simply bump the capacities down in price: the 4GB model sells for $149, while the 8GB model sells for $199. Apple may want to leave the $249 level to the video iPod (hopefully with a bump to 40GB) - everyone already knows that the full-size iPod outsells any of the 8GB nanos at the same price level.

I'd love a larger-capacity nano, but 16GB is likely still too expensive, and 12GB would actually make the $249 nano an even worse proposition (as it'd only have 50% more storage, rather than 100%).
  • Reply 8 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

I'd love a larger-capacity nano, but 16GB is likely still too expensive, and 12GB would actually make the $249 nano an even worse proposition (as it'd only have 50% more storage, rather than 100%).

It's a little more in line though, it's $50 for each 4GB bump. Before, it was $50 for the first 2GB bump, and $50 for the next 4GB bump
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    The most they might do is release an orange nano. I think upgrades/price drops won't happen until the 2007 September iPod SE on the 11th.

-=|Mgkwho