Intel details upcoming processor generations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    While Hmurch is right about Nehalem coming out next year, likely starting in the first half, Penyrn will be out the second half of this year.

Therefore, I'm wondering if we will not see any really new machines this April at the NAB, but rather a refreshed Mac Pro, and possibly MBP instead.

Depending on the plans of Intel, we could see really new machines in June, during the Dev conference, just in time for the Leopard intro. That would be a gas.

It's possible, as Intel has already shown working 3.33 GHz Penyrn's.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Man is OS X 10.6 Lion going to ROCK on this platform. Wow. Intel is impressing me.

hmurchison, are you sure 10.6 gonna be called LION?
  • Reply 23 of 54
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Wow intel is really killing it each year now. I have an original core duo mbp and I already feel behind now, let along when santa rosa drops, let alone next year. I feel like I hate my mbp already.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    And is IBM still working on a 3Ghz G5 PowerPC? ai ai ai. Thank goodness Apple got out of that singing ship.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    OS X 6 Lion or Tom cat.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AquaMac View Post

OS X 6 Lion or Tom cat.

This is the first time that I remember seeing Tom Cat. Good one!
  • Reply 27 of 54
    What are the major benefits of Penryn above the current core design?
  • Reply 28 of 54
    So, I have been wanting to jump into the Intel boat for a while now, since I have a 1 Ghz. Powerbook G4. However I have been hoping for a UPMC or similar small form portable Mac or a 12"/13" MacBook (Pro). Besides the form factor, I have been waiting for a processor upgrade (and perhaps better batteries, I value my lap!). I am currently favoring then penyrn but now with that newer architecture, I am not sure which to go with. Do you think that waiting the few extra months for the Nehalem is worth the X % boost in processing power, or is the boost only marginal? Please give me feedback, as I am desperately in need of a newer computer because the current is slowly passing to where all the good Macs go...

-S. J. Bucaro
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Weird name, but this sounds like they one-upped the PowerPC's "Permute" vector operation, meaning that the Penryn chips should dramatically pull away from the old PowerPC chips in multimedia operations. (While they're currently a little faster, the PowerPC's hold up surprisingly well in some areas compared to Core 2. Not anymore, I suspect.)

Everything that I have seen shows that PowerPC chips actually perform very poorly against simliarly priced / clocked Intel Core2 platforms. Their only real value is in running applications that are not yet universal binaries.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

This Intel shit is crazy.

First I was gonna wait for the Santa Rosa platform to be intoduced into iMacs before I upgraded. Now I think I will wait for these new CPUs to be released. By that time Intel is going to have something else slick coming out in the near future that will make me second guess myself again. WHEN WILL IT END!!!!! AHHHHHAHAHAA.

Is anyone going to wait a year and a half for a Penryn-based system?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sybaritic View Post

How true. Not to bring up old history, but I'm one of those who continues to eat crow over initially resisting the switch to Intel. It's too easy to have narrow vision.

I wouldn't blame you for being skeptical at the time. The switch was announced before the Core architecture was announced, and this was when Intel has been rehashing Netburst for several years. Those in control at Apple had probably seen the long-term roadmaps (and probably got lots of contractual assurances) before making the plunge. I had a impressions that there were big changes in store at Intel, but no evidence to point to.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    If 10.6 is Tom, does that make Vista 2.0 Jerry?
  • Reply 32 of 54
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    one thing i wish to see, how much performance gap between desktop and laptop CPUs (these new generation CPUs), the closer the better!

as of now apple does not have anything to do with Desktop CPUs, we may need to look at the performance gains of laptop CPUs offer (which will go into all the Mac line except Mac Pro).

my Oct 2006 macbook core duo look old

hopefully i will get my 30" iMac come Jan 2007! that will be one hell of a machine
  • Reply 33 of 54
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

hmurchison, are you sure 10.6 gonna be called LION?

It's just a guess but come on Apple. Give us the LION!!!! 10.6 needs to ROAR onto the scene.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AquaMac View Post

And is IBM still working on a 3Ghz G5 PowerPC? ai ai ai. Thank goodness Apple got out of that singing ship.

I wouldn't have said this a yearh and a half ago but it's clear as day that IBM wasn't falling behind when looking at 20/20 hindsight vision

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sjbucaro View Post

What are the major benefits of Penryn above the current core design?

Penryn is mainly a Conroe shink to 45nm. The core won't change significantly until Nahelem next year.

Intel is going to alternate between shrink and then new core. Thus the Nehalem successor

Westmere will be a 32nm shrink of Nahelem follwed by Gesher which will be the new core. I think this makes sense, stabilize the new process first and then deliver a new core.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I'm holding out for a 3 ghz quad core MBP....

Oh, and it better have a crossfire sli gpu damnit....
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sjbucaro View Post

So, I have been wanting to jump into the Intel boat for a while now, since I have a 1 Ghz. Powerbook G4. However I have been hoping for a UPMC or similar small form portable Mac or a 12"/13" MacBook (Pro). Besides the form factor, I have been waiting for a processor upgrade (and perhaps better batteries, I value my lap!). I am currently favoring then penyrn but now with that newer architecture, I am not sure which to go with. Do you think that waiting the few extra months for the Nehalem is worth the X % boost in processing power, or is the boost only marginal? Please give me feedback, as I am desperately in need of a newer computer because the current is slowly passing to where all the good Macs go...

-S. J. Bucaro

If your desperately in need of a new computer why would you even consider waiting for the next best thing? As for Nehalem it's being touted as the most significant shift in architecture for intel since 1996, and the intro of their FSB. With things like an on-die memory controller, increased cache, integrated graphics on the chip, etc. it sounds pretty significant. I think it's naive to think that it will come out a few months after Penryn however. I wouldn't count on seeing Nehalem shipping until 3Q08 at the earliest.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is anyone going to wait a year and a half for a Penryn-based system?

I wouldn't blame you for being skeptical at the time. The switch was announced before the Core architecture was announced, and this was when Intel has been rehashing Netburst for several years. Those in control at Apple had probably seen the long-term roadmaps (and probably got lots of contractual assurances) before making the plunge. I had a impressions that there were big changes in store at Intel, but no evidence to point to.

Intel's announcement of the core duo (Yonah) was made months before Apple had announced they were going to intel. I remember reading about it at the time, and thinking to myself that Apple was in serious trouble if IBM or Motorola didn't have something up their sleeves. The day they switched to intel was a glorious one!
  • Reply 37 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toneloco28 View Post

If your desperately in need of a new computer why would you even consider waiting for the next best thing? As for Nehalem it's being touted as the most significant shift in architecture for intel since 1996, and the intro of their FSB. With things like an on-die memory controller, increased cache, integrated graphics on the chip, etc. it sounds pretty significant. I think it's naive to think that it will come out a few months after Penryn however. I wouldn't count on seeing Nehalem shipping until 3Q08 at the earliest.

It may get pushed back even more with htx cards come out for desktops then intel may be forced to use the HT bus.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

one thing i wish to see, how much performance gap between desktop and laptop CPUs (these new generation CPUs), the closer the better!

That's not really possible because it always involves a trade-off. They are basically different tunings of the same design. One tuning trades power for battery life and portability, and the other allows higher power consumption because portability isn't needed, and it's cheaper to make.

It may very well get to the point where the notebooks are just considered good enough for pretty much everything, a lot of people have already decided that for their own uses.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    It won't be long before Intel has had more differnent chips in Apple computers than Motorola and IBM combined. Maybe two more years...

- Mark
  • Reply 40 of 54
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's not really possible because it always involves a trade-off. They are basically different tunings of the same design. One tuning trades power for battery life and portability, and the other allows higher power consumption because portability isn't needed, and it's cheaper to make.

It may very well get to the point where the notebooks are just considered good enough for pretty much everything, a lot of people have already decided that for their own uses.

NO kidding. If you told me 5 years ago that in 5 years there would be a laptop that is like 16x more powerful than than my workstation, I would have argued and laughed at you. Although in 5 years the workstation is still more powerful than the laptop - therefore I will always be a workstation buyer. But it still boggles the mind how fast I thought my workstation was back then, and now there are laptops that totally dust that old workstation.