What is Apple's big secret?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I wasn't aware you could do two finger scaling, and all the unique things associated with multi-touch on a trackpad. It's almost crazy that some patent holder hasn't gone after the multi-touch display guy for that.

That's because Apple bought Fingerworks and now owns the patents!
  • Reply 62 of 76
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    I think - and hope - that the 'Lights, Camera, Apple' invite at NAB is to do with roll out of movies and TV shows to the rest of the world, and increase in resolution to 720p for some of the content.

There's also bound to be a Mac Pro upgrade, and an announcement to the shipping date of 10.5.

I don't think there's any 'big' announcement. I wouldn't get your hopes up about a revamped Finder in Leopard either. I mean, shucks, if it means that much to you go and download PathFinder already !
  • Reply 63 of 76
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post

I don't think there's any 'big' announcement. I wouldn't get your hopes up about a revamped Finder in Leopard either. I mean, shucks, if it means that much to you go and download PathFinder already !

I agree with you about the NAB announcement, but in no way about secret Leopard features and the Finder. If you've seen any of the NDA'd CoreAnimation demos from WWDC, I can't stress how transparently clear it is that both the OS X GUI and the Finder are in for a serious refresh.
  • Reply 64 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I see Apple as an incremental company, designs slowly evolve into the next thing.

No secret(s).

That's the secret.

Most cat's sneak up in a "incremental" way to be in striking distance and then leap for the kill.
  • Reply 65 of 76
    ddanielddaniel Posts: 12member
    What I would really love to see is a Tablet-PC type Macbook Pro. The kind where the screen swivels and folds down flat, holding like a piece of paper. Yes, I know this is a longshot...

If you've ever used a Tablet PC, you know they can be quite precise when used with a Stylus. The major thing that sucks (In my opinion) about tablet PCs is their screens... they are very low res. There are also none currently on the market with anything better than integrated graphics.

Apple managed to squeeze a very high res multitouch screen into a very small device (iPhone)... maybe they'll put it in their MBP's.

I, for one, would buy one in a heartbeat. I use Photoshop heavily and the potential of a touch screen + a Photoshop version made for it (CS3 maybe?) makes me giddy as a schoolgirl
  • Reply 66 of 76
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TuberMagPico View Post

Most cat's sneak up in a "incremental" way to be in striking distance and then leap for the kill.

In this case, the Cat is in the Box, ala Schrodinger's Cat, and we can't look inside to see if its dead or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrodinger%27s_Cat
  • Reply 67 of 76
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddaniel View Post

What I would really love to see is a Tablet-PC type Macbook Pro. The kind where the screen swivels and folds down flat, holding like a piece of paper. Yes, I know this is a longshot...

If you've ever used a Tablet PC, you know they can be quite precise when used with a Stylus. The major thing that sucks (In my opinion) about tablet PCs is their screens... they are very low res. There are also none currently on the market with anything better than integrated graphics.

Apple managed to squeeze a very high res multitouch screen into a very small device (iPhone)... maybe they'll put it in their MBP's.

I, for one, would buy one in a heartbeat. I use Photoshop heavily and the potential of a touch screen + a Photoshop version made for it (CS3 maybe?) makes me giddy as a schoolgirl

Your not the only one hoping for a tablet. I think about 70% of this forum wants one if not more, but what we argue about is if it's a laptop convert, or slate. I think they would both be a great option. I think Apple should just change the MBP to be a convertible, and also have a slate. That way no one will complain.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

So you expect me to Travel through time every time I mount a volume, or 'live' search everytime I put in a Query?..

c'mon, Sebastian...

you can do better, you know what a concept is ...

a time-axis in file-management is stone-old, I've read in the early 80ies about such concepts at MIT/Medialab... that is daily routine: ... last week, I was busy with... is the common phrase, not, where is 12_01_07.doc?? ...

2nd reallife example:

is the music for your latest homemovie under Music, Garageband, Documents, Movies, Xmas-project_06, not_finished-yet and was it named version11, version12 or - oops! - MyGreatGBproject...?

3rd reallife example:

do you really 'search' in iTunes...? I type a few letters, and it offers me 'solutions' ... it's pre-indexed, that simple...- 'search' is a background operation, no human hand needed

or, I flip-thru the covers, lookin' for that music with that guy with that moustache...

indexing .. THAT is the next quantum leap in computer business.. 15.000 pics, all named DSC001099 ... Fraunhofer (co inventor of mp3) is on track with some software, which allows indexing of pictures automatically...

.. and so on, and so on...

now, 10.4: 'Oscar's' trashbin.. and beige card folders... huuuuu... .
  • Reply 69 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddaniel View Post

I found this whilst bored at work - I don't know how many other people have seen it before but i think this fills what you would be after - it's not out yet but it will be worth waiting for.

Although it would be awesome if it looked as sleek as a normal macbook instead of two colour plastics

Modbook

The GPS and the whole package is going to make an excellent tablet.
  • Reply 70 of 76
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

To me, the most mind-blowing addition of all would be the integrated sensing display, which effectively would integrate iSight camera technology into the displays themselves, allowing for true eye-contact Jetsons-and-Spaceballs-style video conferencing. Anything short, in my opinion, leaves the iSight one generation short of the future.

The patent was filed nearly 3 years ago. I'm ready.

Very true. I've been hoping for the same thing. I know if anyone could figure out how to do it Apple could.
  • Reply 71 of 76
    Although I feel as much as anyone here that the Mac Tablet ain't gonna happen, Multitouch could conceivably make it happen...and... in such a revolutionary way that no one has yet thought of before. Apple likes to change the way we think of conventional computing and if they were to do it again I think we would see something in the design realm of a tablet that is half the thickness of a Macbook/ Macbook Pro but is nothing but screen space. The multitouch would totally replace the mouse/trackpad interface and the keyboard would pop up on screen like it does with the iPhone. It might include a stylus for handwriting recognition but I doubt it. Just think about what you use your mouse/trackpad for aside from clicking? Not much right? Click this click that, maybe click and drag, but nothing really that can't be replaced with simple tapping of fingers and finger gestures. The hard part is getting it intuitive enough for people to learn it. I envision a device that looks the same general shape as a laptop computer but is half the thickness and has a full screen on on side and nothing on the other, a real 'tablet-like' device that has no hinges, no slide out keyboard, no nothing. Just a screen to interact with. This will not happen anytime soon mind you but maybe in a year or two this is where they will be headed.
  • Reply 72 of 76
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

To me, the most mind-blowing addition of all would be the integrated sensing display, which effectively would integrate iSight camera technology into the displays themselves, allowing for true eye-contact Jetsons-and-Spaceballs-style video conferencing. Anything short, in my opinion, leaves the iSight one generation short of the future.

The patent was filed nearly 3 years ago. I'm ready.

Sensing display could be used for multytouch but there is no way (currently) it could replace iSight.
  • Reply 73 of 76
    xhorxhixhorxhi Posts: 46member
    Hmm

L'see. Apples big secret!

Is that they've always had alien technology hidden in the closet and they are milking it for all its worth. Kinda like George Lucas putting out various packages of STAR WARS on VHS tape exhausting that market AND ONLY THEN putting it on DVD, and tapping that market with various "iterations" of the movies. Like Disney too with its timed releases. Or like auto manufacturers and oil companies putting technology on ice so they can first tap out the fossil fuelmarket and THEN spring the high tech "water engine" or some crap like that on us.

YEP Apple has alien technology on dry ice in the subterranean vault 5 miles below the home office in Cupertino and they are giving us little crumbs every so often!
  • Reply 74 of 76
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Imagine this.

A tablet. A laptop. A Multi-Touch Mac.

13" Widescreen Multi-touch LCD

Hinged at both sides to 2 equal sized 'flaps'

When closed, it looks like a traditional Macbook PRO, but with a divided middle.

Open both sides a full 180 degrees and reveal the tablet/multi-touch display.

Open the DVD/Hard Drive 'flap' and place it perpendicular to the desktop, serving as a 'stand' for the display; leaving the multi-touch display at roughly a 30 degree angle to the user.

Open the Keyboard 'flap' and you have a traditional mechanical keyboard below the multi-touch display.

What you get:

A fully-featured and usable tablet

A fully-featured and usable desktop

A fully-featured and usable Multi-Touch Display

A fully-featured and usable mechanical keyboard with tactile feedback

I don't have the time/energy to create the mockup, but hopefully you get the idea.
  • Reply 75 of 76
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k_munic View Post

What is Apple's big secret?

The drop of the 40y old 'Desktop'-Metaphor..:

trash cans, folders, ... and, hey, what is a 'file' anyhow? I'm doing projects, versions...

I don't know if this is where you were going with this, but I think I've just found a use for the now-old-but-never-implemented "piles" metaphor.

"Piles" always semed to me to be a poor addition to the Finder metaphor--an unecessary complication since one could easily just create a new subfolder. This is probably why Apple never implemented it.

But version management is a huge issue now in a wide range of envronments. That *is* something that can be simplified. Anyone who's tried to use MS Office's "Track Changes" tool--and survived without pounding his or her skull into the pavement--knows what I mean.

So instead of "piling" closely related docs that could just as easily be gouped into a subfolder, Apple could implement the "pile" metaphor (with the help of Time Machine) as a versioning system.

Of course, this requires support from developers if anything useful--like comparing and accepting or rejecting changes--is to be done with it. So it's probably not one of the supposed (and probably underwhelming and non-revolutionary) "secret" features. But it would still probably be a cool idea.
  • Reply 76 of 76
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ View Post

.... But it would still probably be a cool idea.

sure, isn't the coverflow in iTunes nothing else then a gigantic pile.. ??

TimeMachine too 'flips' thru a RoloDex of 'versions' ..

the now common high res monitors and the announced 'scalable' Desktop design allow such eye-candy..

one of the main functions (the only one?), an average user is confronted with by using a 'System' is file-management.. If Apple manages it, to do the file management automatically (= add to my list: death of the 'save' button), as some background process, and would offer new 'dialog' screens, in which the user can intuitively select (instead of find) his versions, and projects, and ...

.. that would be nice!