Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Has nobody else picked up on this?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I think it's much more likely that they are talking about the existing Mac Pros (and other Intel Macs) since they were still selling the Power Mac G5 at last year's NAB. It doesn't mean that there won't be any new hardware at NAB but this email isn't a guarantee by any means.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Fran's right. It doesn't confirm anything, but it does give me a glimmer of hope.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Also, if you check apple.com's online store, the store's landing page says "Upgrade to a new Mac and Creative Suite 3", where new mac just means new in box :/
  • Reply 5 of 43
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    They're just fucking with us. Like musikmesse when they reserved a bunch of boothes, got everyones hopes up for new logic and perhaps new hardware and then cancelled at the last moment.

If they don't release new hardware at NAB, I think Apple will wait until WWDC and refresh the entire lineup. They weren't kidding when they dropped computer from their name.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    When does the new intel desktop and sever / workstation chip sets come out?
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

maybe...apple just kidding with you

....nothing to come out
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

They're just fucking with us. Like musikmesse when they reserved a bunch of boothes, got everyones hopes up for new logic and perhaps new hardware and then cancelled at the last moment.

If they don't release new hardware at NAB, I think Apple will wait until WWDC and refresh the entire lineup. They weren't kidding when they dropped computer from their name.

I think that instead of saying that they are "f^@%ing with us," it indicates that they are doing something very different. If it were something as simple as a basic software refresh or upgrade, they would be able to come out in a controlled environment like a trade show and demo it. You may not be allowed to use the new software yourself, but Apple could show it off nonetheless.

There have been too many "stories" of false demos and too many product delays. I think that Apple is trying to do something very different and perhaps may have reached too far.

Leopard seems to be at least a part of this, if not all of it. I have a hard time believing that hardware could be responsible. Other software programs may also be dependent on, or augmenting Leopard. And the whole just isn't working correctly.

Adobe said something interesting the other day when one of their reps stated that there would be upgrades available for CS 3 shortly after Leopard ships. That points to something more than a simple upgrade to me.

But maybe I'm being overly optimistic here.

Apple is supposedly holding a press/product event at NAB. If they back out of that, then I think that Leopard is in trouble. Hopefully, we will get a good glimpse into what we can expect from Apple on a computer and software front.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

I think that instead of saying that they are "f^@%ing with us," it indicates that they are doing something very different.

Could it be with self imposed deadlines for iPhone and Leopard they've hardware on the back burner? Apple doesn't have unlimited resources.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:

Could it be with self imposed deadlines for iPhone and Leopard they've hardware on the back burner? Apple doesn't have unlimited resources.

But Apple does have many separate departments that can't switch personnel at the drop of a hat.

People slaving on the iPhone and Leopard have nothing to do with people working on Mac Pros or iPods or iLife.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

But Apple does have many separate departments that can't switch personnel at the drop of a hat.

People slaving on the iPhone and Leopard have nothing to do with people working on Mac Pros or iPods or iLife.

Good point. Although the common factors are Steve Jobs and when he/they decide the best time is to drop the hat. Timing is going to be everything with these new releases because of hardware and leopard.

I'm pretty sure we'll see software at NAB, but I think its also a great time to debut the Mac Pro. NAB is obviously a great place to get attention drawn to your product especially for video, video editing products, and alike. IMO video demands a pro workstation if your a large broadcasting company. Apple made a big impression a few years back there with motion, and I think they really realized then that this could be a huge market for them. (as if it isn't already) I'll be happy whenever they announce Mac Pros because I am in the market for a new workstation this year, and I'd like to buy a Mac again.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:

I guess I just don't see what hardware they could be coming out with that might pose such problems.

With apologies to the touch-screen advocates, I don't think we'll see that on a Mac for at least year, if not longer.

Software seems to be the only likely culprit here.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Why does apple drop the prices on there hardware over time like dell , hp , compaq , gateway and others or bump up the ram, cpu, hd size , video card at the same price?
  • Reply 14 of 43
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Do you mean why doesn't Apple..... and instead bump up.....?
  • Reply 15 of 43
    They used to do that. And we used to call it an update.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    xwinxxwinx Posts: 18member
    If we don't see new mac pros at NAB, then I'll very grudgingly and reluctantly purchase the current model-- I simply cannot wait any longer.

To Steve Jobs:

Just give us a mac pro update! I and thousands of others will give you our money-- most of us will even buy leopard when it comes out.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    I'd love to see the Mac Pro at NAB (and I think there is a good chance of it) that way I can start figuring out how I'm going to configure mine, but I am going to wait until both the Mac Pro, and leopard are released before I make my purchase.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    @Steve Jobs: I want to see a MacBook Pro with Leopard!

Can't stop dreaming about it! I want to switch from Windows to Mac, but am waiting for an update of the macbook, before I buy...
  • Reply 19 of 43
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    3ghz iPhone by summer!!

• Reply 20 of 43
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

The next chipset which I believe is codenamed Seaburg looks like it will be shipping in the 2H of 2007, but it could be earlier with the way Intel has been moving these days.

http://www.informationweek.com/showA...leID=197700270

There's an article on a PC Motherboard shown at Cebit wit the new Seaburg chipset here at the bottom of the page http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/edi...bit2007-5.html

Of note:

Quote:

Intel Corp. has already announced that later during the year the company would release Intel Xeon processors with 1600MHz processor system bus (PSB) as well as server chips made using 45nm process technology. Unfortunately, until now the details concerning the new core-logic were under the wraps, but thanks to Supermicro we now know some details about Intel Seaburg chipset.

Apparently, apart from 1600MHz dual independent processor system bus and support for dual-core and quad-core Intel Xeon processors, Seaburg family of core-logic sets will feature PCI Express 2.0 bus and up to 128GB of FB-DIMM memory.

During CeBIT 2007 Supermicro unveiled two new mainboards based on Intel?s code-named Seaburg chipset for severs (X7DW3+) and workstations (X7DWA-N), which both can support two Intel Xeon code-named Harpertown (45nm) processors with 1600MHz PSB and 128GB or 64GB of FB-DIMM memory.

Look at the RAM slots on that motherboard: