New Macs feature dual or "quad-core" processors, says Apple

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Inc. this week inadvertently tipped its hand by revealing plans to include quad-core processors from Intel Corp. in an upcoming generation of Mac computers.

"Every new Mac features powerful dual-core or quad-core Intel processors, the world's most advanced operating system, and more," the company wrote on a section of its online store promoting Adobe's new Creative Suite 3.0 software. "Build your Mac to your exact specifications, or start with our recommended configurations that are optimized for Creative Suite 3."

The Cupertino-based Mac maker has not yet introduced systems with quad-core processors, but as AppleInsider reported exclusively back in October, an 8-core Mac Pro -- by way of two quad-core Intel "Clovertown" Xeon chips -- remains ready and waiting.

For Apple, the slip-up marks the second time this month that one of its online stores has published hints at the next-generation Mac Pro. A couple of week's ago, its UK shop accidently posted then removed a similar blurb.

"Now quad-core or 8-core processing power," said a caption next to the company's existing Mac Pro offering. "Configure yours today."

Apple's US online hints at 8-Core Mac Pro

Update: Apple finally got around to correcting the blurb on its online store, which now reads: "Every new Mac features powerful dual-core or quad-core Intel processing, the world's most advanced operating system, and more."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Build your Mac to your exact specifications, or start with our recommended configurations that are optimized for Creative Suite 3."

This makes me think that we could see new hardware at NAB.
  • Reply 2 of 83
    Quad-Core? Dual Processors with 2 cores each me thinks.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    Nuff Said.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    Yes, we've all known this was coming, but when is Apple going to FINALLY introduce the new Macs????!!!!!????

I thought part of the reason for the Intel switch is that it would allow Apple to update their products more regularly. I realize that CS3 is going to be a major selling point for new Macs (the Mac Pro especially) but even so, its been months since Intel introduced these new chips.

Now that my little rant is over... who else is going to by an Octo Core Mac Pro whenever the do get released?
  • Reply 5 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GuyInFlorida View Post

Am I jumping the gun, or does it sound like this includes a 4-core option for the Macbooks and Macbook Pros?
  • Reply 6 of 83
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GuyInFlorida View Post

Yeah, I think it's just the marketing area of Apple not being clear enough. When they say Quad-core they're probably talking about the existing Mac Pros which have 4 cores - 2 in each processor for a total of 4. Technical people, who are looking for any tiny sign of an update, are then reading more into it than it really is.
  • Reply 7 of 83
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'm with GuyInFlorida and Leonard on this one. THough I think that actual Quad-core processor are around the corner it hink this is merely vague marketing.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

Am I jumping the gun, or does it sound like this includes a 4-core option for the Macbooks and Macbook Pros?

Sadly, there is no plan for quad-core processors made for notebooks right now. Only desktops.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    We all know Intel's road map. As far as I know quad core laptop chips are pretty far away (penryn?, correct me if I'm wrong). For now we have Kentsfield and Clovertown. By the time the machines actually get these processors, The new ones are going to be out. I wish Apple hadn't dragged it's feet so hard on this one. Now I feel like they are behind on the Intel cpu cycle and it may be hard to get back on track without skipping a gen completely.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    Considering that Apple called previous computers G5 Quad that did not have a true quad-core, it probably is marketing.
  • Reply 11 of 83
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

You are jumping the gun. Penryn's laptop chips will be dual-core only, so the earliest we can expect more than that in a notebook is mid-late 2008, with Nehalem (Core 3).
  • Reply 12 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

We all know Intel's road map. As far as I know quad core laptop chips are pretty far away (penryn?, correct me if I'm wrong). For now we have Kentsfield and Clovertown. By the time the machines actually get these processors, The new ones are going to be out. I wish Apple hadn't dragged it's feet so hard on this one. Now I feel like they are behind on the Intel cpu cycle and it may be hard to get back on track without skipping a gen completely.

Apple may be waiting for a newer chip set before they update the mac pro as they where a lot of people saying that it needed more pci-e lanes.

As for the laptops they may waiting for a new chip set as well.

But right they can come with a desktop mac with desktop parts and they can drop there prices / add bigger hd / add ram / better video cards and so on on there systems that they have out now.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Let me get this right - Apple Inc is going to put the current Intel chip in their front line computer ?!!?! A shocker indeed.
  • Reply 14 of 83
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear baranovich & Friends

Quote:
    Originally Posted by baranovich View Post

Now that my little rant is over... who else is going to by an Octo Core Mac Pro whenever the do get released?

Aye, aye, mate!

So long as they're not the 2.66GHz variety. Those, according to the tests I've seen online, are actually slightly slower than the dual- dual-core 3GHz chips currently available.

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 15 of 83
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Considering that Apple called previous computers G5 Quad that did not have a true quad-core, it probably is marketing.

I thought for those, they said quad core system, not a quad core processor as the new page says. Also note that it refers to the existing mac Pro as having two dual cores, not as a quad.
  • Reply 16 of 83
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnut222 View Post

Sadly, there is no plan for quad-core processors made for notebooks right now. Only desktops.

The closest they are offering is a chip that takes about 50% more power than the current notebook chips.
  • Reply 17 of 83
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Apple may be waiting for a newer chip set before they update the mac pro as they where a lot of people saying that it needed more pci-e lanes.

Is the PCIe lane problem not an issue with the controller chip itself? If so, we'll need to wait on Intel releasing a new controller that supports more PCIe lanes.
  • Reply 18 of 83
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Is the PCIe lane problem not an issue with the controller chip itself? If so, we'll need to wait on Intel releasing a new controller that supports more PCIe lanes.

Sorry, just read your post again and I see where you're coming from now...
  • Reply 19 of 83
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Everyone knows the quad core are coming, the question is: will they still have gutless video cards and slow overpriced RAM like the last model?
  • Reply 20 of 83
    c'mon people.

Dual-Core is the iMac and the MacBook family

Quad-Core is the Mac Pro

There isn't a leak. It's not news. Move along.