Briefly: Apple cuts video iPod pricing in UK

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In an effort to spur sales of its aging fifth-generation video iPod digital media players over in the UK, Apple Inc. this week lowered pricing by as much as £20 on some models.

Apple dropped the 30GB black and white video iPods to £179, down from £189. Meanwhile, the black and white 80GB models were marked down to £239 from £259.

The new UK pricing is considerably more aggressive than any markdowns approved in the US. While online retailer Amazon.com is offering the 30GB models for $237.99 and the 80GB for $331.99, Apple continues to list the players on its official online store for $249 and $349, respectively.

The price adjustment in the UK is unlikely to be tied to an upcoming product refresh, as AppleInsider has reported that sixth-generation iPods appear to be tracking for the third quarter at best.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    You mean $349, respectively.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple dropped the 30GB black and white video iPods to £179, down from £189. Meanwhile, the black and white 80GB models were marked down to £239 from £259.

<sarcasm>

Goody! A 10 and 20 quid saving respectively.

</sarcasm>

Where was this 6 months ago?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    What the **** is a quid?

I think Apple should lower prices of the models were in the U.S. to make way for the new models coming by the end of the year (hopefully).
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quid = slang for £1

I miss London!
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Nono, Quid = what... Your question was close to the Latin answer...
  • Reply 6 of 21
    That's fine by me. From what I understand, the Brits pay more for their Apple stuff than we do here in the US anyways. At least they're getting a (little) break.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GuyInFlorida View Post

What the **** is a quid?

I think Apple should lower prices of the models were in the U.S. to make way for the new models coming by the end of the year (hopefully).

They will have new units MUCH sooner then the end of the year! They can't last that long without them.

Folks want them NOW. If they wait much longer (30- 45 days) they will start to see a slide, and the opening of doors for other companys.

The discounts are just as likely to be, ridding the stock, so WHEN the new stuff gets announce - there won't be much old stuff around (to discount and confuse folks)

Skip
  • Reply 8 of 21
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    Check this out:

30 GB iPod Black, official Apple Store.

All prices calculated in US$ and w/o tax as of 30/3/2007.

UK: 299.15$

Germany: 301.26$

US: 249$

So they are still significantly (20%) overcharging the UK, however, they brought it down to their average European rip-off price.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    If you look at the EU and british pricing for the the 8GB iPod nano whihc retails for 249 in the US, they are priced at 259euro inc tax and 169pounds respectively.

Now previously the 30GB ipod which sells for 249 dollars in the US was priced at 289 euro and 189 pounds.

The new pricing is 269 euro and 179 pounds.

As you can see, they are still making an extra 10 euro and 10 pounds compared to the nano.

All apple has done is adjusted the pricing based on exchange rates slightly, but as you can see, they are still taking the mick out of us europeans (ignoring VAT etc).

If the iPod nano costs 248 dollars and sells for 259 euro, then why does the video iPod that sells for 249 dollars sells for 269 euro. Apple why are the prices different and don't raise teh price of the nano!
  • Reply 10 of 21
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ak1808 View Post

Check this out:

30 GB iPod Black, official Apple Store.

All prices calculated in US$ and w/o tax as of 30/3/2007.

UK: 299.15$

Germany: 301.26$

US: 249$

So they are still significantly (20%) overcharging the UK, however, they brought it down to their average European rip-off price.

Doesn't that include the VAT?
  • Reply 11 of 21
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yes, the Apple UK store prices include VAT which is 17.5%. There are also duties which Apple may or may not have to pay to the government, I'm not sure. Basically, this price reduction just brings the UK prices closer (but still slightly above) to the US prices.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Yeah, drops here Downunder as well.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Yes, the Apple UK store prices include VAT which is 17.5%. There are also duties which Apple may or may not have to pay to the government, I'm not sure. Basically, this price reduction just brings the UK prices closer (but still slightly above) to the US prices.

Where I live the sales tax is 7%, so the UK pays an extra 10%.

Perhaps the Brits should revolt against the high prices by dumping a boatload of iPods into the bay. The London Pod Party. The high tea tax turned us Americans to coffee, perhaps high priced iPods will turn the UK to the Zune.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Yes, the next-gen full-screen version running OS X won't arrive until Sept or so, in advance of Christmas.

But there could still be a near-term bump in hard drive capacity to 40 and 100.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    It's the Zune. Apple had dropped the US price points of the iPod from $299 to $249 and from $399 to $349 when introducing G5 to take any steam out of the Zune release (or other competition). In Europe they went with the old G4 price points. Apple.de tells me that German prices are down now like in the UK. From €299 to €269 and from €399 to €369. Still less than the US drop last Christmas, but ok...
  • Reply 16 of 21
    And on high EU prices... Just look at Adobe CS3! They charge between 60% and 75% extra in European markets. And that's not even including VAT! If you include VAT you arrive at almost twice the price for your Euro Photoshop. It's hideous.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No, all prices are WITHOUT taxes (VAT, USt, etc.), because the US price is without.

Otherwise comparisons get distorted. So WITHOUT taxes Apple charges a 20% premium in Europe.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    He he, ?what?s a quid??. I forget that I?m speaking to Americans sometimes.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reverie View Post

It's the Zune. Apple had dropped the US price points of the iPod from $299 to $249 and from $399 to $349 when introducing G5 to take any steam out of the Zune release (or other competition). In Europe they went with the old G4 price points. Apple.de tells me that German prices are down now like in the UK. From ?299 to ?269 and from ?399 to ?369. Still less than the US drop last Christmas, but ok...

This reduction in price also happened in the UK - the old G4 60GB iPod was £299 & it dropped to £259 for the 80GB iPod video - at this time but the educational discount also stopped.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GuyInFlorida View Post

What the **** is a quid?

one might also ask "what the **** is a "Buck"?