So Whos holding out for NEW hardware?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 201
    its looking more likely to be "just" Blu-ray in MBPs Apple dont like that many options, so ONE "winning" format would make sense in the "Apple way" of doing things .... IMO....YMMV
  • Reply 102 of 201
    Black MacBook, I think. Soon as Leopard drops.
  • Reply 103 of 201
    Im waiting for imac upgrades, have a nice big chunk of £££ set aside for a new mac. Ideally, I would like imac specs without the screen (as most people on here would i suspect). Dont particularly want to go for a mini due to the lack of horse power, and dont particularly need a mac pro.

I hope with the next incarnaion of mac pros they make wireless and bluetooth as standard rather than built to order!!! If they did that (and upped the ram to 2GB) i would be tempted to buy a baseline mac pro tower rather than a pimped up imac
  • Reply 104 of 201
    japplejapple Posts: 91member
    A bit off topic, but I can't resist since I see so many UK people in this tread.

In your oppinion, are the Apple Ads in the UK not working well as I've read?
  • Reply 105 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple View Post

A bit off topic, but I can't resist since I see so many UK people in this tread.

Nope their not. I prefer the american ones hands down. I think the new ones made for just the UK arent too bad but the ones which are just carbon copies of the US ones like the virus ad, arent anywhere near as good
  • Reply 106 of 201
    Quote:

i think the American ones seem better.. partly cos we are more used to them...

but the newer ones are growing on me, and becomeing more "the norm"

bring em on, is all i can say
  • Reply 107 of 201
    So, it sounds like the consensus on this forum is no update until WWDC. At WWDC, both Santa Rosa and leopard will be put in the mb and mpb? The Mac mini will get an update too, to over 2ghz?

What do you think? Is this timetable relatively certain? I'm getting a laptop for grad school in the fall, and I'd prefer the new one. I start school in mid July, chances these updates will happen by then?
  • Reply 108 of 201
    Quote:

Not from the UK obviously, but the ones created for the UK are really funny.

The clones from the US just aren't as good. They're different characters, and the scripts from the US don't work with them as well. Also, in particular, the Pie Chart one is great in the US but terrible in the UK. I don't think the UK translators quite got that no American has said "kickin' it" since 1991. The PC would've had to use some chav slang for that one to carry over properly.
  • Reply 109 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Not from the UK obviously, but the ones created for the UK are really funny.

The clones from the US just aren't as good. They're different characters, and the scripts from the US don't work with them as well. Also, in particular, the Pie Chart one is great in the US but terrible in the UK. I don't think the UK translators quite got that no American has said "kickin' it" since 1991. The PC would've had to use some chav slang for that one to carry over properly.

the out of touch use of kickin it still carrys over the impression that using a PC is old hat though

...originally wanted to post... another tuesday, another lack of new hardware... this is getting painful

but hey ho.. the interest is better in MY account that in apples
  • Reply 110 of 201
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear Friends

I was very slightly disappointed to see Apple advertising its Mac Pros on the heels of yesterday's big CS3 launch. I would have expected Apple to either stay mum or to emphasize the fact that it has been working hard with Adobe to optimize Creative Suite 3 apps for current and future Mac workstations.

When I see ads that say, "Look at the hot stuff we have now," and I know there's going to be a special event in two weeks, it makes me think that we may not be introduced to new Mac Pros at that time.

But surely we are, right?

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 111 of 201
    Quote:

I prefer the US versions too. Although to the general UK public, the familiar faces of Mitchell and Webb may offer a marketing advantage. I think the ads would be better if they were taylord more towards the UK lifestyles rather than just being carbon copies of the US ads.

Charlie Brooker, a writer for the InsideMicrosoft Blog News Channel really tried to slate the UK adverts, saying that they portray that PCs, although perhaps not as good, are ultimately loveable, whereas Macs are just smug, preening tossers. He went on to slate Justin Long as a B-list nobody actor, but I think that kind of attitude just proves that Charlie Brooker had a axe to grind and it completely discredits his posting. But then again, would you really expect someone writing for InsideMicrosoft to sing Apples praise?!
  • Reply 112 of 201
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Every week for a month I've been thinking surely this would be the week for updated Mac minis (or Mac Pros). Not that I've expected a major mini update, it's just due for a refresh.

I've been planning to buy a mini, having cancelled my AppleTV order in favor of a mini instead. The dearth of any new Mac hardware this year is curious. Now that it's taken sooo long for a mini update, I figure there's gotta be something special Apple's waiting for. I'm going to wait too. Even if it means six more months, I'm holding out. At least that would mean I'd probably get Leopard and a new version of iLife with my new Mac, in addition to any improvements to the hardware.

I'm hoping Apple will get on the stick and intro some new Macs soon. It's only two months until June and June is going to be iPhone-month®.
  • Reply 113 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I prefer the US versions too. Although to the general UK public, the familiar faces of Mitchell and Webb may offer a marketing advantage. I think the ads would be better if they were taylord more towards the UK lifestyles rather than just being carbon copies of the US ads.

Charlie Brooker, a writer for the InsideMicrosoft Blog News Channel really tried to slate the UK adverts, saying that they portray that PCs, although perhaps not as good, are ultimately loveable, whereas Macs are just smug, preening tossers. He went on to slate Justin Long as a B-list nobody actor, but I think that kind of attitude just proves that Charlie Brooker had a axe to grind and it completely discredits his posting. But then again, would you really expect someone writing for InsideMicrosoft to sing Apples praise?!

Dude, Charlie Brooker wouldn't earn a living were it not for his plethora of axes, and their subsequent grinding.

I enjoy his writing - it's vitriolic and spiteful, which can be refreshing.
  • Reply 114 of 201
    mlondonmlondon Posts: 26member
    I'm ready, willing and able to upgrade my maxed out G5 Dual 2.0. Been trying to work with Aperture, and even with 4.5GB of RAM, and an upgraded XT800 video card it is like swimming thru molasses.

Despite faster Intel chips on the horizon for later in the year, I am ready now. I've gotten 3 solid years out of the G5.

Will also replace my aging PB G4 1Ghz as soon as they come out with the "next generation" of MacBook Pros that have great screens for color accurate work.
  • Reply 115 of 201
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I change my answer. I voted no, but now financially things have changed, and yes I am holding out for new Mac Pro and leopard. I may as well get them bundled and save about a hundred dollars.

I'm hoping that Apple fully supports nvidia SLI graphics also, and has 8800 GTX's available and I actually I think I have a decent enough chance at seeing that.
  • Reply 116 of 201
    I am holding out for leopard. As a student I don't want to spend extra money on an OS upgrade mere months after buying a new computer.

I'd like something like the mini for home server purposes. You know, media library, backups, email, that kind of thing. Mini won't cut it because I definatly want my data mirrored across multiple harddisks if I go the "one place to store it all" route.

So something halfway in between a mini and a mac pro would suit me right.

EDIT: imac doesn't seem right to me. I'm used to tinkering with pc's. I'd rather not have the hardware in the same package as the monitor, hardware goes out of fashion a lot sooner than the average monitor.

Biggest thing that bugs me about current macbook (pro) are the screen sizes. I'm used to a 24" lcd desktop monitor, so I'd like a bigger resolution than what the current models are offering, to lessen the cramped feeling I get on 1200xsomething monitors.
  • Reply 117 of 201
    If Apple were to release Mac Pros and have a free upgrade to leopard offer I would take one, but otherwise I'm waiting.
  • Reply 118 of 201
    I'm definitely getting a Macbook Pro with Santa Rosa and Leopard, I'm just not completely sure what screen size I will be purchasing it in. Most likely a 15.4'' incher, but if Apple drops a 13.3'' widescreen I will get that for portability.
  • Reply 119 of 201
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

If Apple were to release Mac Pros and have a free upgrade to leopard offer I would take one, but otherwise I'm waiting.

And I'd do the same if this applied to the Macbook Pros.

- Mark
  • Reply 120 of 201
    I can barely stand it. Bring em on already!