Sherlock: Still relevant?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Who here still uses Sherlock? I mean it was great when it came out because different search engines were good at different things. But now with Google being lightyears better than everything else out there, who needs Sherlock any more (The internet searching)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    I think I used Sherlock to search the internet for about two days after getting OS 9.

I only ever use Google now.

I use Sherlock in OS 9 once in a while to search my hard disk, but use the terminal in OS X.

The file search and file contents search should be part of the Finder in OS X, not part of Sherlock.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    I still use sherlock to search for files on my disks.

But I use google for searching now..
  • Reply 3 of 23
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Plus having a search Service in OS X would be much more convenient. That and a real-time search field in the Finder toolbar. And grep... and....

So no, it's not terribly relavant nowadays.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I don't use it and I really wish Apple would put it into the finder.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    Sherlock's internet search feature was absolutely killer when I was still on a 56k modem. It cut down my search times by huge amounts. It ruled.

But on broadband, it is a lot less relevant, since it is so quick anyway and google is very efficient.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Plus having a search Service in OS X would be much more convenient. That and a real-time search field in the Finder toolbar. And grep... and....

So no, it's not terribly relavant nowadays.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This was in OS X a long time ago. But apple took it out because there were problems. But it is coming back in the next build of OS X 10.2

As for Sherlock I do not think any one uses it for the internet any more. Apple needs to buy "watson" if you do not have that, get it. it kicks ass! It dose internet sheching through a app but it displays the info right in the app. just get it trust me you will be amazed!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I used to use Sherlock to look for stuff on my computer. I don't anymore because in OS X Sherlock is so damn slow.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by Michaelm8000:

<strong>

Apple needs to buy "watson" if you do not have that, get it. it kicks ass! It dose internet sheching through a app but it displays the info right in the app. just get it trust me you will be amazed!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Where do you get it? Link please.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    [quote] But it is coming back in the next build of OS X 10.2<hr></blockquote>

you know this how?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by SYN:

<strong>

you know this how?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I talked to a apple engineer at MacWorld SF.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Where do you get it? Link please.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's the Watson web site. It's a good application.

<a href="http://www.karelia.com/watson/"; target="_blank">http://www.karelia.com/watson/</a>;
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Thanks for the link.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    I am doing the new icon for watson. They are going to use my icon on the app. The new one looks really cool. it should be up soon.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by Michaelm8000:

<strong>I am doing the new icon for watson. They are going to use my icon on the app. The new one looks really cool. it should be up soon.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's great Mike. Good for you. :cool:
  • Reply 15 of 23
    arielariel Posts: 46member
    [quote]Originally posted by imacSE:

<strong>

That's the Watson web site. It's a good application.

<a href="http://www.karelia.com/watson/"; target="_blank">http://www.karelia.com/watson/</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

Man that Watson looks cool! I can't wait to get my iMac to try it out gggggggggggg

Thanks for the tip

Ariel
  • Reply 16 of 23
    hey mike, seems liks your icons are starting to get pretty common . Maybe someday you'll design some for Apple. Keep up the good work!

re: Sherlock. what else did the engineer say about sherlock? Will search be faster or will it be the same slow BS? Any date for 10.2?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Mike, I hear you are doing icons for OmniGroup as well! If so, then congratulations! Yer skillz are definately worth money man!
  • Reply 18 of 23
    I use Sherlock for searching for files on my hard drive, even though it is pretty useless for that when you have as many nested directories of old files as I do. (e.g. I do not need to search the System Folder for the file named "resume '98"!)

IMO, the only thing Windows still does better than MacOS is the ability to search for files within a specific directory. Does anyone know when or if this functionality is ever going to come to OSX, either via an updated version of Sherlock or an integrated part of the Finder?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    just drag and drop the directory on the sherlock window...
  • Reply 20 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by SYN:

<strong>just drag and drop the directory on the sherlock window...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Doh! That'll teach me to RTFM. Thanks, SYN. This complaint has plagued me for longer than I care to say.