Looking for free form calculator

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am looking for a calculator that can do free form calculations, i.e. I want to type 1/(x+1) but not have it on a line, but shown as it actually is like in Graphing Calculator in OS9 or as one writes its on paper. I prefer not to spend $60 on graphing calculator

Grapher in Tiger does a good job of making equations for reports but it doesnt calculate them! Err!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tkellytkelly Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

I am looking for a calculator that can do free form calculations, i.e. I want to type 1/(x+1) but not have it on a line, but shown as it actually is like in Graphing Calculator in OS9 or as one writes its on paper. I prefer not to spend $60 on graphing calculator

Grapher in Tiger does a good job of making equations for reports but it doesnt calculate them! Err!

How about the graphing program in the Mac?

in the Applications folder, then the Utilities folder.

• Reply 2 of 7
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    It's a fine graphing calculator, but I enter in very long calculations and I wish to compute them instead of using my TI-89. I want it to tell me what, for example, (3(53)+2)^3/(34-ln(21)^3 + log(42) + sin^2(52) - 1/(2-64)^4 is, but I'd prefer not a line calculator. I want it to tell me it equals -4.184871
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Nevermind. I am not observant. Apparently entering an expression and pressing return evaluates it on the left. This is exactly what I need it to do. I kept looking for an equals sign of 2+2=4
  • Reply 4 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Yes, but mathpad is a line calculator. I want to type it in as I do on paper, not be beulegered by 12 nested parenthesis all the time.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    What about Longhand?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Check this out...and it's free