Apple patches issues with iTunes 7.1.1 release

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Let's face it - while iTunes is the only good option for Mac software integration and iPod syncing, it's also a pretty lousy program, and patching up a lousy program almost never results in anything good. Unfortunately, they have no reason to come up with anything better, because nobody else will be able to keep up with iPod, iPhone, iWhatever updates as fast or as well. About all that seems to get better is the iTunes Store integration...

what makes it a lousy program?
  • Reply 22 of 35
    cheezecheeze Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jedd88 View Post

I have a 15" PBG4 running OSX 10.4.9. Since installing iTunes 7.7.1 update, iTunes quits every time I launch it. Any help will be appreciated.

Poked around on the internet a bit, and it seems that iTunes plugins could be the problem.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....47646&#4247646

To fix mine, I went to [me]/Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins/ and deleted iConcertCal.

Works fine now.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

Dear Apple,

Pull your damned head out of your ass.

Outlook, for those of you who don?t know, is an e-mail client.

...which can display in-line graphics using ....[trumpets] Quicktime [/trumpets]
  • Reply 24 of 35
    I wish Apple would take a minute and fix all the glaring flaws in Front Row.

Here's the list I've compiled:

1) TV shows are randomly ordered in the Video section, not alphabetical (or they're not using the standard Roman alphabet).

2) Videos tagged with an Artist field are listed in Music -> Artist.

3) Videos tagged with an Album field are listed in Music -> Albums.

4) Front Row ignores (or doesn't recognize) the sort preferences introduced in iTunes 7.1 (to be fair, iPods don't handle it well either).

5) The contents of an entire folder are unavailable if something is being downloaded to it from iTunes (for example, downloading the latest episode of a show makes all episodes of that season unavailable).

6) No customization options, most importantly font size, so you can see only 7 choices at a time (well it's only 7 on my Mac).

7) Consistency - Why does music continue to play when exiting Front Row but videos are stopped?

8) Apple Remote needs a mute button (okay, that's not a Front Row flaw but it would definitely enhance the Front Row experience).
  • Reply 25 of 35
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I don't have to worry about it, because 7.1.1 won't even launch!
  • Reply 26 of 35
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

I don't have to worry about it, because 7.1.1 won't even launch!

Odd. I've had zero problems with 7.1.1... works great. 8)

• Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

1) TV shows are randomly ordered in the Video section, not alphabetical (or they're not using the standard Roman alphabet).

I had this problem too. Turns out that the 7.1 update started ordering TV shows within a season according to the episode ID instead of by name. If you take out your entry in episode ID, you'll see that they'll order by name again.

Quote:

2) Videos tagged with an Artist field are listed in Music -> Artist.

3) Videos tagged with an Album field are listed in Music -> Albums.

Double check your video info. Make sure it's selected as a movie. This should pull it out of the Music folder and put it into the TV Shows or Movie folder. Of course, if they're music videos, they WILL be listed in music. I never quite understood this either. I think there should be a separate folder like there is for TV Shows.

Quote:

8) Apple Remote needs a mute button (okay, that's not a Front Row flaw but it would definitely enhance the Front Row experience).

Eh, maybe. I'd have to disagree here. Why mute? Why not just pause? I don't find that I need a mute when I'm watching movies or TV nearly as much as I need a pause. Plus that adds to the number f buttons on the Apple Remote. Simplicity is the name of the game here... Of course that's not to say that holding the (-) button down for 3 seconds or something like that could be intergrated into a mute for those people that NEED this.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post

I had this problem too. Turns out that the 7.1 update started ordering TV shows within a season according to the episode ID instead of by name. If you take out your entry in episode ID, you'll see that they'll order by name again.

Double check your video info. Make sure it's selected as a movie. This should pull it out of the Music folder and put it into the TV Shows or Movie folder. Of course, if they're music videos, they WILL be listed in music. I never quite understood this either. I think there should be a separate folder like there is for TV Shows.

Eh, maybe. I'd have to disagree here. Why mute? Why not just pause? I don't find that I need a mute when I'm watching movies or TV nearly as much as I need a pause. Plus that adds to the number f buttons on the Apple Remote. Simplicity is the name of the game here... Of course that's not to say that holding the (-) button down for 3 seconds or something like that could be intergrated into a mute for those people that NEED this.

Just so we're clear, you do realize the issues I listed were for Front Row and not iTunes 7?

My TV shows have always been randomly sorted in Front Row. I've done everything I can think. I've deleted out the episode ID and it didn't help. I even went so far as to remove the episodes from the iTunes library and start adding them back in one series at time in alphabetical order. There's clearly some sort of logic it's using because they always go back into the list in the same order

And I'm talking about episodes of shows bought from iTunes, so they are tagged as TV shows but they continue to show in Artists and Albums list in Front Row if they have those tags filled in (which TV shows bought from iTunes do). And as for iTunes 7's switching music videos from the Video section to Music, I hate that as well. Especially when I'm streaming audio via AirTunes and it cuts out because it hit one of them.

As for the mute button, it's a pretty standard button on any audio/video remote. There are numerous times I want to mute and don't feel it's important enough to pause. The Apple Remote is overly simplistic to me and for Front Row use, it could use some sort of page up/down buttons or something to quickly scroll through Artist lists.

Regardless, I want Front Row to just properly list and order my content. That would be a nice start.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Just so we're clear, you do realize the issues I listed were for Front Row and not iTunes 7?

My TV shows have always been randomly sorted in Front Row. I've done everything I can think. I've deleted out the episode ID and it didn't help. I even went so far as to remove the episodes from the iTunes library and start adding them back in one series at time in alphabetical order. There's clearly some sort of logic it's using because they always go back into the list in the same order

And I'm talking about episodes of shows bought from iTunes, so they are tagged as TV shows but they continue to show in Artists and Albums list in Front Row if they have those tags filled in (which TV shows bought from iTunes do). And as for iTunes 7's switching music videos from the Video section to Music, I hate that as well. Especially when I'm streaming audio via AirTunes and it cuts out because it hit one of them.

As for the mute button, it's a pretty standard button on any audio/video remote. There are numerous times I want to mute and don't feel it's important enough to pause. The Apple Remote is overly simplistic to me and for Front Row use, it could use some sort of page up/down buttons or something to quickly scroll through Artist lists.

Regardless, I want Front Row to just properly list and order my content. That would be a nice start.

Ah, my bad ... I thought your post was mixed iTunes and Front Row. I don't buy TV Shows from the iTS, so I guess I can't really help.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

what makes it a lousy program?

Well, my complaints are pretty simplistic.
    1. Video support is really lacking and seems thrown together

2. The Library setup blows

3. Ordering is sometimes hit or miss

In a more expanded view:
    • You can modify groups of songs at one time, but there's no way to modify the video attributes of a group of items. For example, I was ripping a DVD set for a friend (her set, so its 'legit'!), and I needed to go through each and every title and manually copy/paste the video information (title, episode, etc) in each field, one at a time. This includes changing "Movie" to "TV Show" in the stupid drop-down box.

• The Video type of "Movie, TV Show" etc on the video tab is NOT stored with the file, so when you move it to another library, its lost, and so everything shows up in the Videos library, not the TV show library.

• How does one change what library a video goes into, as I've got a downloaded "TV Show" which I don't consider a show and would like it to go into the videos area.

• You can't take video podcast episodes and see them in the video areas. Nor can you just say "Hey, this isn't a podcast, its a video!" Its inexplicably tied.

• Podcasts downloaded through the podcast library show up (although I'm always having to stop the stupid software from re-downloading old content all the time). But podcasts that I download manually and add to iTunes do NOT show up as a podcast. They show up in the Library under the genre of Podcast.

• I have some books-on-CD that I'm trying to put into iTunes format. Even setting the genre to "Audiobooks" does not allow it to appear in the Audiobooks library.

• I also have some old-time-radio content, most of which shows up only under audiobooks, even though the genre is NOT 'audiobooks', but some of it does not.

• They removed the entire 'library' view, so there's no one list to look at to get a view of your entire audio/video collection. You have to go through each sub-category. Add to that the above, where some items appear in the wrong place, and it makes it even harder.

• You can't create folders to store your playlists, so you can keep a boatload and still be able to find what you're looking for. I've got several playlists that I use to help me keep track of new music so I can make sure its named appropriately, rated as necessary, etc, but I never listen to these lists. I use them for organizational purposes. But there they are, just intermixed with all my others. And they get stuck on the iPod as well (sure, I could just sync certain playlists, but then I'd have to make sure I had lists that had all my music in it).

• You can't alter the browse columns. So if you want to browse by Composer, or Album Artist (vice Artist) or anything else, you can't.

• I've got several albums, all downloaded from the iTMS, where I've downloaded the content in chunks (for example, get a free download, like the album, so you get the rest, or buy a song here and there from the same album over time). But for some unknown yet aggravating reason, these songs will NOT sort correctly when ordered by album. Song 4 shows first, followed by 1-3. If I change the sorting to "Album by Artist" or by year, then its fine, but Album alone, not correct. And, yes, I've gone through the stupid tracks with a fine tooth comb looking for any difference to cause the problem, but nothing.

• While just a minor problem, sorting by disc number sorts all 1 of's haphazardly, not sorting all 1 of 1's, followed by 1 of 2's, etc.

• Syncing is a pain, because Apple's progress bar keeps disappearing and re-appearing.

• Speaking of syncing, I've still yet to find a decent reason why iTunes (my music and sometimes video app) is used to synchronize my photos and contacts to my iPod. It makes no logical sense at all.

• Their new "download album artwork" option is a farce. Not only does it not really give you a choice of where to get it, or what to use, it doesn't store the artwork for the music with the music. Its off in some cache folder. So if you move your music to another computer, or its accessible to another user on your computer, its missing.

• Despite using it since it came out, my music library is still filled with crap music from lousy artists!

• Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

In a more expanded view:
    • You can modify groups of songs at one time, but there's no way to modify the video attributes of a group of items. For example, I was ripping a DVD set for a friend (her set, so its 'legit'!), and I needed to go through each and every title and manually copy/paste the video information (title, episode, etc) in each field, one at a time. This includes changing "Movie" to "TV Show" in the stupid drop-down box.

• I completely agree ... this is totally annoying, especially if you have a large number of TV shows from a season or something like that. It doesn't even autofill the information for you like it will in the music tagging menu

Quote:

• How does one change what library a video goes into, as I've got a downloaded "TV Show" which I don't consider a show and would like it to go into the videos area.

Can't you just select "movie" from the drop down menu? This will pull it from the TV show library an re-file it in the video library

Quote:

• You can't take video podcast episodes and see them in the video areas. Nor can you just say "Hey, this isn't a podcast, its a video!" Its inexplicably tied.

• Podcasts downloaded through the podcast library show up (although I'm always having to stop the stupid software from re-downloading old content all the time). But podcasts that I download manually and add to iTunes do NOT show up as a podcast. They show up in the Library under the genre of Podcast.

I don't have any podcasts so I really don't what's up here...

Quote:

• I have some books-on-CD that I'm trying to put into iTunes format. Even setting the genre to "Audiobooks" does not allow it to appear in the Audiobooks library.

• I also have some old-time-radio content, most of which shows up only under audiobooks, even though the genre is NOT 'audiobooks', but some of it does not.

iTunes files anything with a .m4b extension as an audiobook. Something to do with it being an audio file that allows bookmarks. Anyway, just changing the genre to "Audiobooks" doesn't move the file. (Yes, I do think filing an audiobook should be much easier than what I'm about to say... not one of my favorite things about iTunes) I'm not quite sure how or IF iTunes will rip directly to .m4b format from the audio CD if you tweak the advanced import prefs, BUT I do have a script that will convert AAC files to .m4b so they can be filed as audiobooks. I don't remeber the name of it off the top of my head and I'm not on my computer so I can't look it up, but I can try to link to this later for you. I'm willing to bet your old-time-radio content is saved as .m4b. Try converting something to your regular music format and see if that fixes the problem.

Quote:

• You can't create folders to store your playlists, so you can keep a boatload and still be able to find what you're looking for. I've got several playlists that I use to help me keep track of new music so I can make sure its named appropriately, rated as necessary, etc, but I never listen to these lists. I use them for organizational purposes. But there they are, just intermixed with all my others. And they get stuck on the iPod as well (sure, I could just sync certain playlists, but then I'd have to make sure I had lists that had all my music in it).

Are you talking about something like iPhoto has where you can have a folder, say Summer Vacation, and then albums in that folder, like Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc.? Never thought about that in iTunes, but if it's not, I could definitely see it being a useful feature to keep track of groups of playlists. Personally, I have a lot of albums with no cover art, I'd like a smart playlist option for Album Artwork = 1 or 0.

Quote:

• You can't alter the browse columns. So if you want to browse by Composer, or Album Artist (vice Artist) or anything else, you can't.

Can't you just right or control click the bar and add a sort column of any of the tagging options that you have? Try right-clicking the bar and a drop down menu should appear and select the option you want to add. Then you can just select that column to browse by that thing...

Quote:

• I've got several albums, all downloaded from the iTMS, where I've downloaded the content in chunks (for example, get a free download, like the album, so you get the rest, or buy a song here and there from the same album over time). But for some unknown yet aggravating reason, these songs will NOT sort correctly when ordered by album. Song 4 shows first, followed by 1-3. If I change the sorting to "Album by Artist" or by year, then its fine, but Album alone, not correct. And, yes, I've gone through the stupid tracks with a fine tooth comb looking for any difference to cause the problem, but nothing.

Sounds like a tagging issue. You might try re-entering the artist, album, total track number, album year, and genre in the multiple track mode. Then re-enter your individual track numbers and see if that fixes your problem.

Quote:

• Speaking of syncing, I've still yet to find a decent reason why iTunes (my music and sometimes video app) is used to synchronize my photos and contacts to my iPod. It makes no logical sense at all.

Well, simplicity I'm guessing, is their reason. If you want your contacts on your iPod, does it NOT make sense to sync them when you sync your music. I wouldn't want to open up iSync or Address Book or iPhoto to sync something that is easily synced through iTunes.

Quote:

• Their new "download album artwork" option is a farce. Not only does it not really give you a choice of where to get it, or what to use, it doesn't store the artwork for the music with the music. Its off in some cache folder. So if you move your music to another computer, or its accessible to another user on your computer, its missing.

I'm not quite sure I understand what all you're saying. If you have an album, then there is only the artwork for that album. Why would you want something different than that album's artwork? I guess they could team up with Amazon to offer a better search feature, but the artwork on Amazon isn't always the best quality ... for that matter, sometimes when I pull artwork from amazon it doesn't even fill up the little preview screen on the side. As far as storing the artwork in a cache folder, I do agree ... slightly lame.

Quote:

• Despite using it since it came out, my music library is still filled with crap music from lousy artists!

Heh ... so are you saying the music you listen to is crap? You realize if you want to get rid of the music, all you have to do is select the tracks and hit delete, right? Then when it asks you if you want to keep the linked files, you tell iTunes to trash them...
  • Reply 32 of 35
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    I've had zero problems with 7.1.1... and I run it on a blue and white G3.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Can't you just right or control click the bar and add a sort column of any of the tagging options that you have? Try right-clicking the bar and a drop down menu should appear and select the option you want to add. Then you can just select that column to browse by that thing...

I'm talking about changing the 2 or 3 Browse columns at the top of the page, not just the displayed columns in the library list.

Quote:

Sounds like a tagging issue. You might try re-entering the artist, album, total track number, album year, and genre in the multiple track mode. Then re-enter your individual track numbers and see if that fixes your problem.

Been there, done that. Over and over and over again. I thought I had the answer to my problem when itunes 7 came out and the album artist field showed up, but cleaning those fields out didn't help either.

Quote:

Well, simplicity I'm guessing, is their reason. If you want your contacts on your iPod, does it NOT make sense to sync them when you sync your music. I wouldn't want to open up iSync or Address Book or iPhoto to sync something that is easily synced through iTunes.

I don't know. I actually thought Apple's iSync, and how it was used in 10.3, made a whole lot more sense then the way it is set up now. In order to sync contacts to your iPod, you need to go to iTunes. To update .mac, its off to system preferences, .mac panel, then the third tab. Before I could just say "Sync" and it would go everywhere.

Quote:

I'm not quite sure I understand what all you're saying. If you have an album, then there is only the artwork for that album. Why would you want something different than that album's artwork? I guess they could team up with Amazon to offer a better search feature, but the artwork on Amazon isn't always the best quality ... for that matter, sometimes when I pull artwork from amazon it doesn't even fill up the little preview screen on the side. As far as storing the artwork in a cache folder, I do agree ... slightly lame.

Apple's retrieval of artwork doesn't always get the RIGHT artwork. Its hard to be 100% correct, esp. based on limited searching abilities. But it also only searches its own library, so there's lots of stuff it doesn't find, or offers up something that it thinks is correct.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Ever Since iTunes 7.1 came out, my music has been skipping all over the place. I figured 7.1.1 would finally fix it, but no, the skipping is worse and happens more often. I wonder if it has something to do with me running Windows XP x64. 7.0.x worked perfectly and I'd only have skipping once in a blue moon. Now it's almost once per song.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    steelsteel Posts: 1member
    Ok when itunes 7.1.1 cam out I was like yess maybe now I will be able to play the music i downloaded from itunes store instead of havening to eternally enter my password. but alas no however I no longer have to worry about that. Now all i have to worry about is itunes restarting my computer every time I run it. It just goes to scanning media library then the computer restarts. Im running vista on a standard toshba qosimo g-35