Dreamweaver 4

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm having some problems with Dreamweaver, and was wondering if anyone else is having the same problems, or has any insight:

The file menu takes f***ing forever to load. I click on File, and a grey box the size and shape of the menu appears, but the text doesn't appear until 10-20 seconds later. File is the only menu that does this. (This also happened in DW3)

I tried to create a new set of keyboard shortcuts, because I wanted a shortcut for "New from Template" and it let me, and the shortcut shows up in the menu. But it doesn't work!

I'm using a beige G3 with 192MB of RAM. I realize that this is towards the lowend of the system requirements, is this the problem? and if it is, would a RAM purchase (maybe another 256?) help? I don't really want to pump a lot of money into this computer, because I would like to buy a new one in the not too distant future....

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mayamaya Posts: 28member
    Are you running in classic or OS9?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Maya:

<strong>Are you running in classic or OS9?</strong><hr></blockquote>

OS9.1
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Have you tried allocating more RAM to Dreamweaver, and running it alone?

I'm running Dreamweaver 4 in Classic and it doesn't do anything like what you describe.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Have you updated it to 4.01

Version 4.00 had lots of erratic problems with OS 9.1 or Classic

Get the updater from Macro's web site and see if it helps.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>Have you updated it to 4.01

Version 4.00 had lots of erratic problems with OS 9.1 or Classic

Get the updater from Macro's web site and see if it helps.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I did upgrade to 4.01 as soon as ups left dw4 on my doorstep (without ringing the bell, but that's a whole 'nother story). As far as memory allocation, I have the minimum set to 37000K and the preferred at 42000K (recommended is 32000K).

I normally don't run it alone, I'll have either netscape 6 or ie5.1 running too, so that i can preview in browser. And as long as dw won't preview somethings (like css padding), I really don't want to have to run it without a browser.

but that's my story. should i up the mem. allocation?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    One more thing to ask you

Do you run Kaleidoscope? This thing really slows down DW's system menus big time under 9.1
  • Reply 7 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>One more thing to ask you

Do you run Kaleidoscope? This thing really slows down DW's system menus big time under 9.1</strong><hr></blockquote>

nope. at least i don't think so. i have no idea what it is. if it's part of dw, and is by default on, then yes, probably. but if it is a seperate app, or a part of dw that you have to activate, then no.

sorry i'm vague here
  • Reply 8 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>

Yeah, I did upgrade to 4.01 as soon as ups left dw4 on my doorstep (without ringing the bell, but that's a whole 'nother story). As far as memory allocation, I have the minimum set to 37000K and the preferred at 42000K (recommended is 32000K).

I normally don't run it alone, I'll have either netscape 6 or ie5.1 running too, so that i can preview in browser. And as long as dw won't preview somethings (like css padding), I really don't want to have to run it without a browser.

but that's my story. should i up the mem. allocation?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The cheap/quick/easy way to check whether memory is the problem would be to up the "minimum" memory allocation to 96000 or something, then re-run Dreamweaver completely by itself and see if the same slowness occurs.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>

The cheap/quick/easy way to check whether memory is the problem would be to up the "minimum" memory allocation to 96000 or something, then re-run Dreamweaver completely by itself and see if the same slowness occurs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i set the min to 96000 and the preferred to 100000.

both of the problems still persisted. (i've noticed since i first posted, btw, that dw is sluggish in response to all key commands.)
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Have you tried trashing your Dreamweaver preferences?

Do you have any other programs that do anything similar to this?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Try rebooting your mac with just the base extensions on (in the Extensions Manager control panel, use the OS 9 Base). If DW acts normally, you can assume it is an extension conflict.

If that doesn't help, I would suggest removing it from your hard drive, and reinstalling it (and the update). Then see if problems persist.

-Ender
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mayamaya Posts: 28member
    It's been a while since I booted into OS9, but I seem to remember that a shot of Norton Disk Doctor, Speed Disk and rebuilding the desktop helped smooth out the wrinkles.

Worth a try if nothing else works...