FCP3 and PB550/667 Q

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple say that you NEED a 667 PB to do real-time rendering in FCP3. Is this the case? I'm going to buy a 550 anyway but it would be nice to know for a fact.

Thanks in advance.

PBM.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    Hi Chopper3,

I am in London as well. FCP3 will

only do realtime rendering, a big feature,

on only 2 Powerbook G4 models.

The 500Mhz and 667Mhz and NOT the

550Mhz. They enabled this for the 500Mhz

as people paid top money for this not too long ago so they realized they needed to do that. althought the 550Mhz should be able to do FCP3 realtime rendering, it wont, they want to steer people to the 667. Also, the 667 has a 133Mhz system bus versus 100Mhz on all the previous models which means you get roughly up to 33% faster overall system speed.

My second bit of advice is. DONT buy it on london. why dont you fly to NYC for £150/rt from Trailfinders and buy one there. As you know the VAT is 18% plus additional markup so you would be paying an additional £400-500 here. The genesis here is that you get a FREE trip to NY or SF or LA and save some money. I flew to SF last week for £160 r/t plus tax.

Best of luck. Sales tax in CA or NY is around 8-9% so you will be saving around 20% overall on a expensive item.

If I were you and you want to do video editing and can afford it, go with the 667 min config and add in memory ($90 for 256MB laptop mem).

Cheers and best of Luck!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Apparently, it works as long as your CPU is fast enough, <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/a_holck/"; target="_blank">whether or not</a> it is a G4 or G3 (some people seemed to have got it to work on an iMac G3 :eek: )

[edit: smiley]

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: catalyst ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    [quote]Originally posted by catalyst:

<strong>Apparently, it works as long as your CPU is fast enough, <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/a_holck/"; target="_blank">whether or not</a> it is a G4 or G3 (some people seemed to have got it to work on an iMac G3 :eek: )

[edit: smiley]

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: catalyst ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is not what I have heard :-). I heard that FCP3 sw checks for hw spec to see 1) g4 and 2) processor speed. Now, FCP3 will work on G3 but you wont get the *realtime* rendering of effects like cross dissolve, etc. it checks for 500Mhz and higher but blacklist 550Mhz on PBG4.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: eat@me ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Yeah. The hack at the link disables it.