iPhone capable of 2 different numbers - crossing my fingers

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
This would be my #1 request. I have no clue if it's possible, but I'm sure tired of having two different phones with me.

I know a lot of people who carry two phones - one for work and one for home. Apple could surely pick up a big number of customers with this feature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Or, one for home (ie Cingular) and the other a global sim card that is swappable.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

This would be my #1 request. I have no clue if it's possible, but I'm sure tired of having two different phones with me.

I know a lot of people who carry two phones - one for work and one for home. Apple could surely pick up a big number of customers with this feature.

It seems too complicated for Apple to do... at least at first.

But I agree... it could be useful.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

It seems too complicated for Apple to do... at least at first.

But I agree... it could be useful.

The onus is on the service provider, not the phone.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

The onus is on the service provider, not the phone.

Well yea, but as we've seen, Cingular Wireless bends over backwards to give Apple what they want in the iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Maybe it will be possible to get your wireless carrier to forward your calls to the iPhone?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    You seem to be clutching at straws now...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    But why couldn't this be done? If a user has two lines with the same carrier (one home and the other work) is it as simple as providing two SIM slots and software? Or is more complicated?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Because this is Apples FIRST, and I stress FIRST, mobile so lets give them a chance. It is probably too complicated and Apple/Cingular have already made a few advancements together, I just think that you are asking for too much now. Concerning having two SIM slots, ask yourself how many people would actually use it. Many more people will complain about having a redundent slot then there are people who will need them.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    This is perfectly feasible and by no means complicated, however it will require software and possibly hardware updates by the service provider and you would have to have both numbers registered with the same provider.

The last 5 phones I have had all supported 'Line 2' and I use it all the time. If I'm on the phone and someone tries calling me, my phone tells me and I can take the call and put the other person on hold etc. Mobile phones are not like fixed line phones where a physical line determines your connection at the CAB/Exchange.

If you wanted to use different lines with different service providers, then this would require dual SIM capability. This has been done in the past, but didn't really take off.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I know my phone (Razr V3) supports multiple lines, I believe up to 4 on the software. I don't know if there are any hardware requirements, like more SIM cards or something, but the software supports multiple lines.