Civ 3

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
anybody get/use this on a mac yet?? my daughters love The Sims and Tropico....thinking this would be a great game for them too....any info or thoughts would be great...g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    They might like this game, it has a lot of waring in it compared to the ones you listed. I personally love it, but have found the AI is a bit off.

Daniel
  • Reply 2 of 13
    They might like this game, it has a lot of waring in it compared to the ones you listed. I personally love it, but have found the AI is a bit off.

Daniel
  • Reply 3 of 13
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    I would really like to get it, but it is about 15 bucks too much for me
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Hmm, in Sweden computer games cost $50-60...
  • Reply 5 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I picked up Civ3 at MacWorld and have been loving it since! Granted, I've played all the previous Civ games so I knew what to expect. The Sim series has also been a favorite of mine.

One thing of note is that Civ3 runs dog slow, at least for me. And I'm running it on my Ti 500. Its even slower on our iMac 333, but still playable (barely).
  • Reply 6 of 13
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by Xool:

<strong>I picked up Civ3 at MacWorld and have been loving it since! Granted, I've played all the previous Civ games so I knew what to expect. The Sim series has also been a favorite of mine.

One thing of note is that Civ3 runs dog slow, at least for me. And I'm running it on my Ti 500. Its even slower on our iMac 333, but still playable (barely).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dog slow? I thoght it actually ran FAST compared to Civ: CTP. It runs just fine on a stock G4 400 (except HD upgraded to 7200 rpm & 512 MB).

Personally I think the game is the best Civ yet (CTP was such a letdown). The new culture thing is really neat. My only complaint is the Corruption. In sine of my cities I have 70% sheild production loss due to corruption & I have a courthouse & I'm a democracy (lowest corruption gov. in the game). I think that's rediculous.

Apparently they're releasing a patch soon, I hope that it changes this to a more manageable level.

The Diplomicy is also neat. You can now trade cities for various things (tech, peace, etc). Also your alliances are only military & only last 20 turns (so you can turn on your ally later, which is nice :eek: )
  • Reply 7 of 13
    It ran dog slow for me at first (Pismo 400).

But: turn off the Quartz text display option, at the initial options screen.

About a 100% speedup for me; now it's just slightly slower than Alpha Centauri, and easily fast enough to play.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by ColorClassicG4:

<strong>It ran dog slow for me at first (Pismo 400).

But: turn off the Quartz text display option, at the initial options screen.

About a 100% speedup for me; now it's just slightly slower than Alpha Centauri, and easily fast enough to play.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Turning off quartz text was the first thing I did. But it still runs pretty slowly. If it accesses the HD alot then maybe my slow PB drive is the culprit. If it uses OpenGL for graphics, then my measley PB graphics card is to blame. But I'd expect a G4 500 w/ 512 MB Ram to perform better than it does now.

And that's running at 1024x768. Don't even get me started about 1280x1024!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    just bought it, i love it.

after reading posts first thing i did was turn off quartz, runs great on a g3 450/radeon 32, haven't had a slow down yet, civilopedia and advisors take mebbe 1-2 seconds to pop up, but i'd hardly call that slow, running in os x of course
  • Reply 10 of 13
    enderender Posts: 353member
    I run it on my G4/500 MP (Radeon 32 MB, 512 MB RAM). It runs great. The only thing that takes lots of time is the computers turn, which isn't too bad anyway.

I'm running it in OS X with Quartz text turned off. I liked it at 1280 x 1024, but it was a bit hard to read the text on my 17" monitor, so I backed it down to 1024 x 768 and it's much easier to read. It wasn't slow at the higher res, though.

I really love the game, and the AI gives you a run for your money at the higher difficulty levels. It is all I can do (I admit, I suck) to compete with the AI on Monarch level play (4th of 7 difficulty level). 3rd level difficulty makes for a fun, yet challenging game. Higher is IMO less fun, as is lower.

Great game, a definite buy when the price comes down. Oh, and it helps to make an image of the CD on your hard drive. Seems to run a bit faster.

-Ender
  • Reply 11 of 13
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    ok, daughter's 14th bday is next month...she has never played any of the previous civ games, nor civ 3....think i will get her civ3 and Black and White for her birthday...they both should run fine on the new iMac 800 MHz G4...and she likes god games and stratagy games (she loves the sims and tropico....) thanks all g
  • Reply 12 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Ender:

<strong>

Great game, a definite buy when the price comes down. Oh, and it helps to make an image of the CD on your hard drive. Seems to run a bit faster.</strong><hr></blockquote>

In fact I did a full-install and then made a mini disk image so that I could play the game and not keep a 500 MB image sitting on my HD. Just make a new image of the disk in r/w mode. Then you need to delete the files and wipte the free space. Then when you convert and compress the image it will only take up like 600K. Hooray!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Nice tip, but since I have like 80 GB on this machine, and only like 30 of it used, I probably won't worry about it too much.

-Ender