Max OS X come with iWork and iLife Suites?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0704leopardjune.html

Along with informing us that June is the expected month of release, Think Secret also told us that the iWork and iLife Suites might both be free within Leopard, and will have Leopard specific features (that part we knew). They also told us that iWork/iLife might be rebranded to "iLife Leopard" and "iWork Leopard". Finally, iWork Leopard might have a spreadsheet program to compete more directly with Office 2008.

Thoughts? I think this is amazing if true. :-D While Microsoft forces you (well....kind of, you can rip them off if you want) to buy their products, Apple gives you the essentials of every computers absolutely FREE. That would be great to bring people to Apple. :-D

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I am proud to say I was one of the first here to predict the bundling of the new versions of iLife and iWork with Leopard, it's the only smart thing to do (I also predictied here a while back that they would drop the yearly naming scheme for both apps too, pat on back). An example of how important this is; my sister doesn't know what iWork is, she's a Mac user. If she had it she'd use it, and for her I know she wouldn't have to ever buy Office (which she doesn't have) to do everything she could ever want to do "right out of the box." This will be a very important and necessary move IMHNSHO. I cannot stress how important this move is. I don't really care if they say Leopard is $250 as long as they bundle both these apps into it, and don't even think about giving people the option to get Leopard without both of those apps for a cheaper price, cause that would defeat the intended purpose. My guess is if they do it, Leopard will be $199, which is still way cheaper than any version of Vista worth considering. Then and only then IMO (of course) will Leopard be "the complete package".

It is also worth noting that if Apple did bundle the new iLife and iWork with Leopard I think a lot more Mac users would want to take the Laopard leap, and I also think it would encourage more people to switch knowing that they could get away without ever having to purchase expensive Office software. For just over one grand a switching student would be set to go.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    Hey Ireland--

I've been thinking about this since the first go at the topic...

I switched in 1997 and missed the earliest days of macs. Did the earliest Macs come with a bundle of apps?

I wonder because from a strategy standpoint, iLife was meant to get peoples' attention and promote switchers by separating macs as your home digital hub. It worked to some degree, it seems, but it wasn't until the Intel switch that people (and the media) have really turned their heads toward macs. Now, an addition of bundled apps like iWork could be meant to sweeten the deal.

I think it may very well be possible that iWork comes bundled now in Leopard-- as one of the "secret" features. If it does, I also believe that it'll be just a bit more than Windows Home Basic's $199. It'll include Front Row, Photo Booth, and some new app(s) that are Leopard specific.

For the price of Windows junk version, you really get Vista Ultimate's steroidal older brother, Leopard. I think this is how it's gonna' be. Noogies for everyone!
  • Reply 3 of 18
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    what if people dont want the new os, but just want the new iLife and or iWork? what if someone just wants iLife but not iWork? iLife and iWork should have yearly upgrades, and with an OS that isnt garaunteed

however, i am all for the idea, it just doesn't leave everyone with options
  • Reply 4 of 18
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

what if people dont want the new os, but just want the new iLife and or iWork? what if someone just wants iLife but not iWork? iLife and iWork should have yearly upgrades, and with an OS that isnt garaunteed

If this happens, there's no reason it couldn't be sold separately for those who want it. My guess is that sales are slower than they want. How better to ride the tide of millions of Leopard sales than to include a product they want people to use more? Just like iLife...

People didn't even know they liked digitial video editing and such until it was put right in their faces.

Ireland, you're on to something.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain View Post

If this happens, there's no reason it couldn't be sold separately for those who want it. My guess is that sales are slower than they want. How better to ride the tide of millions of Leopard sales than to include a product they want people to use more? Just like iLife...

People didn't even know they liked digitial video editing and such until it was put right in their faces.

Ireland, you're on to something.

haha i totally forgot about the possibility of selling them seperatly aswell. but still, what if someone was perfectly satified with their current edition of iLife? or would it come as no additional cost to the OS?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Well, if it becomes true that iLife and iWork (or even only iLife) '07 come free with Leopard, that's a steal. Of course, if you only want to update to the newest version of iLife and stay with Tiger, the bundling would make upgrading more expensive. On the other hand, it becomes much cheaper if you want to upgrade two or three.

Personally, I don't think they'd bundle _everything_ together. Then again, I guess iWork hasn't really been that hot a seller. Making it come with the OS would give it more market penetration and take away some money from Microsoft.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Well lets just assume that Leopard is released and it does indeed have both new versions of iWork and iLife bundled, and assume that the prices of both apps stay the same @ $79 when sold separately, and lets also assume Apple raises the price of this same fully-bundled Leopard OS X release to $199.

It's become apparent that both suites of applications will have Leopard only technologies with Apple urging developars to make use of Core Animation, and the fact that both suites have been mysteriously non-existant still at this point in April.

So you are telling me you would pay $158 for those two suites of applications, with features you wont be able to use, rather than anti-up the extra $41 to get a whole new OS that is banking on making Vista look so last century it wont even be funny, and that willl have those both same suites bundled? Frankly I can't see why anyone should have to regret making such a ridiculous decision, there's no reason for Apple to even give that option, it would only puzzle people. People would be like; "Why would anyone bother buying those apps, when you get them in Leopard for free, and it's only $40 more?" In this day and age what's $199 among friends anyway?

Anyway if you got Leopard and thought for some reason you didn't want iWork, you could just drag it to the trash.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fryke View Post

I guess iWork hasn't really been that hot a seller. Making it come with the OS would give it more market penetration and take away some money from Microsoft.

Exactly! In the broad scheme of things nobody has even heard of iWork. If they bundled it with Leopard, it would not only be heard about, but it would be a selling point. That and most non-Mac user think iLife is already part of the OS, and Vista is including some iLife-like Apps for free.

Question; What's the point in developing great software if it is hidden away in some warehouse?

Answer; There isn't any.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I am proud to say I was one of the first here to predict the bundling of the new versions of iLife and iWork with Leopard, it's the only smart thing to do (I also predictied here a while back that they would drop the yearly naming scheme for both apps too, pat on back).

Don't congratulate yourself too soon, it hasn't actually happened yet. Thinksecret's reliability went down the pan right around the time Apple initiated proceedings against them over the "asteriod".

I expect that Apple will have permanent iLife + Leopard, iWork + Leopard, iLife + iWork + Leopard bundles on offer (unlike with Tiger whereby there were only occasional bundle offers), but you will be able to buy the products separately if you so desire. I also expect that there will be no big increase in price of Leopard. I'm hoping the price will stay $129 for Leopard only, but wouldn't be surprised by an increase to $150.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

But These apps have been rumored to have Leopard specific features....which means Tiger users can't have it.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

But These apps have been rumored to have Leopard specific features....which means Tiger users can't have it.

I'm not sure if Apple would risk making iLife and iWork Leopard-only. More likely there will be features that only work with Leopard, but you'll still be able to run iLife and iWork under Tiger (and lose out on the Leopard-only features).
  • Reply 12 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Bollocks. Ship a basic-functionality Private Framework for the app to use on the older OS, and use the spiffy included ones on the new OS. Happens all the time.

Edit: Beaten by Mr. H.

Run it on Tiger, get 90% of the features if you run it on Leopard. Upgrade to 10.5, get a 'free' upgrade in your apps as well. Bonus.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Apple may not bundle both applications but if they have to choose I'd reccomend iWork.

Every Mac user of recent vintage will have at least "some" version of iLife from their computer purchase but iWork as a complete package has never been included (just a demo)

I think that iWork 07 will finally add the necessary components (Spreadsheet and hopefullly drawing tools) to become very important application for Mac users. I want to see millions of iWork consumers because this means more work on templates from 3rd parties and more text covering the program.

iLife is important but if someone is truly inclined to take advantage of the suite then an upgrade price is fair. I'm going to have both this year as I'm looking forward to dabbling with iWeb 2 and doing more media work.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Don't congratulate yourself too soon, it hasn't actually happened yet.

Well it's not very often I get to do it (patting my back) and I was itching my neck at the time
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Well it's not very often I get to do it (patting my back) and I was itching my neck at the time

Brilliant!
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Apple may not bundle both applications but if they have to choose I'd reccomend iWork.

You would because you are probably not a general user, the general user would get more use of iLife, but could do with a dose of iWork too, both are really needed. This would be the smart move, include both.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

You would because you are probably not a general user, the general user would get more use of iLife, but could do with a dose of iWork too, both are really needed. This would be the smart move, include both.

Yes but EVERY Mac user already has at least a version of iLife. Don't you think that iWork is the application that right now is getting buried?

Don't get me wrong..I'd love to see both included in leopard for a great deal but if I had my druthers and choose just one I gotta go with the productivity app.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Brilliant!

If I replied to thank you for that compliment it would probably ruin the moment, so you can forget it if you think I'm going to do that.