Best DVD to WMV encoder?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was wondering if anyone can let me know of some very good software(no matter freeware or shareware ) which allows me to encode from DVD format to WMV format. The encoding should give me high quality video and one that doesn’t give me sync problems etc?

(Encoding videos at 800kpbs)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by white View Post

I was wondering if anyone can let me know of some very good software(no matter freeware or shareware ) which allows me to encode from DVD format to WMV format. The encoding should give me high quality video and one that doesn?t give me sync problems etc?

You expect all that for free? Dream on.

You are going to need two to three pieces of software, depending on how you count. You will need a DVD ripping app. Handbrake appears to be your best choice here, but it is opensource and free. Handbrake outputs video as MPEG-4 or H.264 and audio as AAC, MP3, Vorbis, or AC-3. You will also need to transcode these formats into WMV. For this, you will need the paid version of Flip4Mac and QuickTime Pro. Transcoding will lose fidelity. You need to decide if you really need WMV as your final product.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by white View Post

I was wondering if anyone can let me know of some very good software(no matter freeware or shareware ) which allows me to encode from DVD format to WMV format. The encoding should give me high quality video and one that doesn?t give me sync problems etc?

OK, so this you will actually want to do on windows using the free windows media encoder to make the final conversion step. As it won't make wmv's straight from a DVD you need something else to do that. I suggest searching doom9.net for that one.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    There are all kinds of downloadable software in the web site.http://www.qweas.com/

With a strong search engine, you will find many software with discount or even free price.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jackeyjackey Posts: 3member
    what machine are you using, Windows or Mac?

You may have a go at ImTOO Products (not free, and not going to give a link) if you want to take anything other than a DVD and rip it down, that is, if you use it under windows. I have used it and it works OK, although, it's not fast. This is what you probably don't want to use if you are looking for free. Maybe someone else can provide a link to something like it, but free.

If you are under Mac, there is stuff like MP4Converter DVD Ripper that works, but also not free.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    whitewhite Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackey View Post

what machine are you using, Windows or Mac?

You may have a go at ImTOO Products (not free, and not going to give a link) if you want to take anything other than a DVD and rip it down, that is, if you use it under windows. I have used it and it works OK, although, it's not fast. This is what you probably don't want to use if you are looking for free. Maybe someone else can provide a link to something like it, but free.

If you are under Mac, there is stuff like MP4Converter DVD Ripper that works, but also not free.

thanks...i work in mac, so the program for Windows is no use for me.

Mr. Me, thanks. but it seems so complicated using three programs to convert my DVD to wma.

MP4Converter DVD Ripper seems to be more suitable. easy to use. but a little expensive. maybe i can have a try, if it's really good, i don't mind paying for it.