Anyone else experiencing problems with Firefox 2

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I use Firefox as my secondary browser. I've been using it frequently enough to have it install automatic updates in the last few months--always v 1.5, even though 2.0 came out in October.

Somehow I updated to 2.0 and I'm not too happy. One, the new fomat of tabbed windows means every time I want to close a window I get a dialog box," do you want to close blah blah". Then there's the strange stuff like my google search--no longer the default engine--is now in Spanish (I checked the Firefox language preference and it'sset to American English). I find it annoying when you upgrade and the whole look of the interface is changed, overriding your past preferences, too.

I tried posting to the Firefox support forum and I got an error message with lots of debugging code (next step is using Safari to post to the competition--LOL).

Anyone out there have good experiences with the new version? I'm ready to go back and reinstall 1.5,

PS If there's already a thread here or elsewhere, please point me to it. I did a search here and didn't see any other post referring to the upgrade.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I like and use Safari and I can't say I experienced any of this in my seldom uses of Firefox 2.0.0.3
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ptrash View Post

I use Firefox as my secondary browser. I've been using it frequently enough to have it install automatic updates in the last few months--always v 1.5, even though 2.0 came out in October.

Somehow I updated to 2.0 and I'm not too happy. One, the new fomat of tabbed windows means every time I want to close a window I get a dialog box," do you want to close blah blah". Then there's the strange stuff like my google search--no longer the default engine--is now in Spanish (I checked the Firefox language preference and it'sset to American English). I find it annoying when you upgrade and the whole look of the interface is changed, overriding your past preferences, too.

I tried posting to the Firefox support forum and I got an error message with lots of debugging code (next step is using Safari to post to the competition--LOL).

Anyone out there have good experiences with the new version? I'm ready to go back and reinstall 1.5,

PS If there's already a thread here or elsewhere, please point me to it. I did a search here and didn't see any other post referring to the upgrade.

I use FF v2.0.0.0.2 all the time--works great for me and is very stable so far. As to your other issues, go to preferences and set them the way you want.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ptrash View Post

I've never used Firefox, but I've also never used Safari after the first day I got my Mac. Camino is the only browser I'll use. I haven't had one problem with it yet, everything works the way it's supposed to. Try it out, see if you have any luck with it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

I've never used Firefox, but I've also never used Safari after the first day I got my Mac. Camino is the only browser I'll use. I haven't had one problem with it yet, everything works the way it's supposed to. Try it out, see if you have any luck with it.

I used Camino, Safari and Firefox for months in side by side by side trials. Camino is very nice but in the end, FF's extra features won me over. It's a personal decision for each user. I also use FF exclusively on my Wintel laptop. In Windows Wonderland, there is no choice since MS IE v 6 is a truly awful piece of software and I have no plans to ever use Vista with IE 7.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I use Firefox for a lot of development work, I have it loaded with all kinds of extensions, most of which I don't need. So it is a bomb factory for me, but that is my fault I would throw my vote in for Camino, which seems to be compatible with a lot more sites than Safari.